Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hey - going round in circles/navigating the minefield!

Well either you have a bad one or I've got a good one. But I don't recognise that description at all. After 6 yrs, 97k miles daily use and many nights away with extended trips to Scandinavia, Italy France and Spain I can honestly say the only change I've noticed is the discolouration on the gas burners from frequent use. Nothing broken, all cupboards work as they should and the aluminium edging still as it was. Not sure where the painted plastic is that you mentioned. Personally we find the beds absolutely fine without any expensive toppers etc;. But that's a personal choice. Apart from one or two mainstream conversions that cost as much if not more for the same base vehicle, not many conversions I've come across would have lasted so well.
I Initially thought the aluminium looking parts (edging.wardrobe door etc) were actually metal but its plastic painted to look like metal there's no aluminium in my van (2019 model ocean),remember these vehicles are mass produced purely for profit.

I Initially thought the aluminium looking parts (edging.wardrobe door etc) were actually metal but its plastic painted to look like metal there's no aluminium in my van (2019 model ocean),remember these vehicles are mass produced purely for profit.
I thought you were referring to the kitchen unit.

Yes im referring to the kitchen units and the edging on the front of the glass tops and the wardrobe doors they are all plastic not metal.

Does Drive The Deal or Autoebid discounts make the Ocean affordable?
I got quotes from both Drive The Deal and Autoebid on an Ocean last week and the discounts offered were significanlty more than I'd dared hope for. Certainly made it a bit more affordable.

Think they are metal on 6.1

Hello, I'm in the research stage of my camper journey. I hired a T6 conversion in August & am ready to buy but where to put my money? I've viewed a few conversions, and am seeing a couple more very soon. I can't stretch to an Ocean but the Coast is in the same ballpark as a lot of decent conversions. I've specced up and I only want a couple of options - window in canvas, fogs, privacy glass so not getting near the Ocean cost.

I like the idea of a Cali for the factory build quality, the dealer network backup, residual value. I like the idea of a conversion for the personalisation I can have, ability to modify in the future.

I am concerned about the potential price increase on the Cali that might be coming. Am talking to a couple of local dealers now to see what prices I can get.

So, yeh, navigating the minefield!!
It depends on what you would like to have in your van. If the Coast/Ocean gives you what you want then go for one or the other. If neither gives you what you want go for a conversion. If conversion then chose carefully, a few are excellent and a lot are very poor. Look for 3 years warranty on the conversion, preferably from a VW approved converter and if you are converting a new van ensure that the vehicle warranty remains intact. We went new van conversion as the Cali range did not give us what we wanted. On depreciation, from what I have seen a high quality conversion holds up well compared to a Cali while the poor ones drop like a stone. I have been offered more for my conversion than I paid for it - a sample of one so not a good stastic but it's all I have to go on. Our conversion was a little lower cost than a Cali but not by much, but we got exactly what we wanted. You pays your money and takes your choice. Whatever you purchase, enjoy it.

It depends on what you would like to have in your van. If the Coast/Ocean gives you what you want then go for one or the other. If neither gives you what you want go for a conversion. If conversion then chose carefully, a few are excellent and a lot are very poor. Look for 3 years warranty on the conversion, preferably from a VW approved converter and if you are converting a new van ensure that the vehicle warranty remains intact. We went new van conversion as the Cali range did not give us what we wanted. On depreciation, from what I have seen a high quality conversion holds up well compared to a Cali while the poor ones drop like a stone. I have been offered more for my conversion than I paid for it - a sample of one so not a good stastic but it's all I have to go on. Our conversion was a little lower cost than a Cali but not by much, but we got exactly what we wanted. You pays your money and takes your choice. Whatever you purchase, enjoy it.
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. So many converters will only offer 1 year warranty. That’s so rubbish! For the amount you pay 3 is a minimum. My 2 favourite converters offer 3 year and the other 10 year!
In terms of the actual camping the Coast gives me everything we need I think. I just like the personalisation that a conversion offers.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. So many converters will only offer 1 year warranty. That’s so rubbish! For the amount you pay 3 is a minimum. My 2 favourite converters offer 3 year and the other 10 year!
In terms of the actual camping the Coast gives me everything we need I think. I just like the personalisation that a conversion offers.
Who did your conversion, if you don’t mind me asking.

Who did your conversion, if you don’t mind me asking.
Autohaus in Minehead Somerset, they paid our overnight accommodation on our first design visit. If you look on their Gallery and find the Autohaus Camelot High Top in Acapulco Blue with Cream and White that is ours. Our conversation was from new, Autohaus supplied the vehicle matching the best Auto e Bit quote, full VW warranty (they are VW approved) and the conversion has a 3 year warranty. Had two problems that came up. Fixed very quickly and they paid for my travel back to Minehead to get it fixed. Problem ID to complete fix was 72 hours! For minor issues they are on the phone, usually put through to the person that installed the item and they talk you through to the solution. Very happy all round. We wanted a toilet but not a portapotty (have a full flushing cassette toilet), hot water, rear shower (lovely to have a hot shower out in the wild) heating and did not like the standard bench rib beds. Also mentioned during the design that we thought pop top was too cold for winter so they suggested a fixed high top. They also suggested an underslung LPG tank to save space rather than bottles (so much cheaper than bottles but not a cheap installation). This all led to having a LWB - not a California option. The high top has been excellent, no impact on mpg, lovely and warm in the winter and no bother with roof problems. Car park barriers are a no go but we have not found this an issue. I am sure there are those that would not like our conversion, but we like it. As mentioned I have been offered £3k more for it than I paid (sample of one). We spent 18 months looking at Californias, Nuggets, big whites, all sorts of conversion and ended up where we are. Each to their own, I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to purchase. If close to Gloucestershire you are welcome to have a look.

Autohaus in Minehead Somerset, they paid our overnight accommodation on our first design visit. If you look on their Gallery and find the Autohaus Camelot High Top in Acapulco Blue with Cream and White that is ours. Our conversation was from new, Autohaus supplied the vehicle matching the best Auto e Bit quote, full VW warranty (they are VW approved) and the conversion has a 3 year warranty. Had two problems that came up. Fixed very quickly and they paid for my travel back to Minehead to get it fixed. Problem ID to complete fix was 72 hours! For minor issues they are on the phone, usually put through to the person that installed the item and they talk you through to the solution. Very happy all round. We wanted a toilet but not a portapotty (have a full flushing cassette toilet), hot water, rear shower (lovely to have a hot shower out in the wild) heating and did not like the standard bench rib beds. Also mentioned during the design that we thought pop top was too cold for winter so they suggested a fixed high top. They also suggested an underslung LPG tank to save space rather than bottles (so much cheaper than bottles but not a cheap installation). This all led to having a LWB - not a California option. The high top has been excellent, no impact on mpg, lovely and warm in the winter and no bother with roof problems. Car park barriers are a no go but we have not found this an issue. I am sure there are those that would not like our conversion, but we like it. As mentioned I have been offered £3k more for it than I paid (sample of one). We spent 18 months looking at Californias, Nuggets, big whites, all sorts of conversion and ended up where we are. Each to their own, I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to purchase. If close to Gloucestershire you are welcome to have a look.
I can see why you went custom route.
Sounds like their customer care is first rate.
Warranty is a big part of my decision, hence the 10 year one on All Seasons Leisure being so appealing.

Sounds great. I spoke to Autohaus when I thought I needed/wanted a long wheelbase before deciding to go California, they were in my top 3. I wonder why VW don’t sling the gas underneath but persist with bottles?

Sounds great. I spoke to Autohaus when I thought I needed/wanted a long wheelbase before deciding to go California, they were in my top 3. I wonder why VW don’t sling the gas underneath but persist with bottles?
I thought that would’ve happened on the 6.1 too

I thought that would’ve happened on the 6.1 too
The underslung tank goes where the rear diff would be on a 4 motion and cost. The tank is not a cheap installation but refilling is very cheap. All depends on how much LPG you will use as to whether it is worth it or not.

Thank you all for your help and advice. Coast order placed today! Starlight blue with a couple of options (Devonports, Fogs, lights package, window in roof bellows). Just got to wait over the winter now!
Congratulations! Hope the waiting passes quickly. But plenty of time to start buying all your accessories for camping...

Back