Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi Folks

• Thread starter YorkshireHeathen
  • Start date
YorkshireHeathen

YorkshireHeathen

Thanks for all the hepful info on here!

I'm Paul from York. :hello

I used to have a love/hate relationship woth an old T2 many years ago. I miss the freedom it gave but I don't miss the skinned knuckles and demoralisation in dealing with each bit that failed/fell off/disintegrated. :headwall

I guess like a lot of people, I've needed to get a good way on with working life before I could think about the massive expenditure on a new Cali, and at 51 all the years of hard graft has finally started to pay off! :grin:

In September I'm picking up a new Natural Grey Berghaus Cali with some extras and I'm really looking forward to the extra freedom it will give me and my two dogs. Can't wait, and by then, with all your helpful information I should have a good working knowledge before pick up.

Is it wise to just set straight off in it for a week, or does anyone think it's best to stay close to home at first to deal with any teething troubles?

And how do I manage to remain relatively normal looking in public until September when I have a strong impulse to continuously grin like a buffoon?

Paul

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum :hello

My story is very similar to yours and its only now that we can afford a Cali too :crazy

Like you we have not picked ours up yet we have to wait until the 16th June but I shouldn't worry about the big grin as I can't get mine off my face :laugh2

Hi Paul welcome along
Wow a berghaus that sounds great :thumb What I did was went up to Yorkshire the week after buying mine but I went without my two dogs. I then went round the corner from me to Wicksteed part to try it out with the two dogs as well all was good. If you have had t2's before it should need no breaking in
As for the smile you will need to wear a balaclava for the time being because the smile will not disappear :thumb

welcome fella to the cali club....i just made the switch from a 71 westy ....i'm picking my grey berghaus up next week .."i hope " :thumb

There seems to be a bug influx of grey berghaus cali's ... Lol ... I wonder where all the silver and blue ones are ..???

Eyup Paul
Get out and use it I'd say...common sense noggin prevails much of the time. We got ours just before the summer hols last year, put two dogs in, two kids under 10 in and set off to Peaks, Lakes, Snowdonia, Mid Wales then Cornwall over four weeks. Did an afternoon on South Downs before we set off to work out any possible quirks which we did'nt encounter and realise care needed with bits and bobs like the blinds!! A year on and one damaged drivers armrest (lump of son trod on it), otherwise all tops still.
Twas brilliant (did drop on nice weather tho). Only thing we got after was Vanorak for chilly nights if kids were upstairs rather than in their tent (they choose). Otherwise lived the dream, parked next to beaches for early morning swims in Wales, wild camped etc...
You'll not regret it, 'one life' and all those cliches
Paul
(Barnsley lad living darn Sarth ;) )