Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi from the Highlands

D

Di Schneider

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello! We have just taken delivery of our California Beach and can't wait to drive off into the sunset with it.
However as we live in scotland the first thing I am doing is making a giant midge-proof net for the awning!
Diane

Just back from Torridon for the weekend and yes that sounds a good idea! They also get in the wee vents in the roof fabric so maybe enhance those nets with your fabic!

Hello! We have just taken delivery of our California Beach and can't wait to drive off into the sunset with it.
However as we live in scotland the first thing I am doing is making a giant midge-proof net for the awning!
Diane
Hello Diane,
Congratulations on your new Beach. What spec and colour did you go for?

Having just spent seven days in Wales where we were eaten alive by midges I too will be trying to get hold of a suitable net for our next trip. The blighters seem to come right through the upstairs gauze without any trouble at all. What do club members do to prevent them entering? Is there a suitable net on the market that can be used in conjuction with a Cali? We like plenty of fresh air when sleeping but don't want to be attacked in our sleep by squadrons of these rotters.

Good luck with your Cali and happy adventures.

Is there a suitable net on the market that can be used in conjunction with a Cali? We like plenty of fresh air when sleeping but don't want to be attacked in our sleep by squadrons of these rotters.

@hotel california was demonstrating his mesh door net on Saturday, it was held in place by magnets. Looked perfect.

Yes I saw that one but regrettably didn't think to ask HC about it. I remember thinking that it looked like a Brandrup product. I don't know if it was or not. I have read somewhere on this forum that the Scottish midge can get through these aftermarket nets. Anyone had any experience with these? They may be the way forward.

Hello Diane,
Congratulations on your new Beach. What spec and colour did you go for?

Having just spent seven days in Wales where we were eaten alive by midges I too will be trying to get hold of a suitable net for our next trip. The blighters seem to come right through the upstairs gauze without any trouble at all. What do club members do to prevent them entering? Is there a suitable net on the market that can be used in conjuction with a Cali? We like plenty of fresh air when sleeping but don't want to be attacked in our sleep by squadrons of these rotters.

Good luck with your Cali and happy adventures.
We bought a T6 in Mohave Beige, I think it's called. There is a thread discussing midge nets somewhere,
the concensus seems to be that you have to make your own. I bought material from http://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/insect-midge-net-fine?variant=6809888963 here and am now sewing it to a quecha tarp. Let's hope it works. I'll also fix the same fabric over the openings in the pop up.
The last problem is what to do with the sliding window on the side...?

Can anyone confirm if the Brandrup flyout screens effective against Midge?

Hi JohnnyP,

I can confirm flyout screens are not a 100 percent guarantee against Scottish midges. The biting bastards are only 1.5 Mm small. Only mesh with 20 x 30 holes per square inch will stop them.

We were in the western Highlands in summer 2015 and were relatively save inside the bus with mesh that we bought online at Streme.co.uk, colour charcoil. Not cheap though, 35 pounds for two meters ExtraFine.

I sewed it inside on the three ventilation windows upstairs, with a round needle, the one for sewing furniture. Don't forget the two small vents in top of the bellows and the sliding window downstairs.

Of course some zillion midges enter the Cali as soon as you open the sliding door half a millimeter...

Midge free regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Hi JohnnyP,

I can confirm flyout screens are not a 100 percent guarantee against Scottish midges. The biting bastards are only 1.5 Mm small. Only mesh with 20 x 30 holes per square inch will stop them.

We were in the western Highlands in summer 2015 and were relatively save inside the bus with mesh that we bought online at Streme.co.uk, colour charcoil. Not cheap though, 35 pounds for two meters ExtraFine.

I sewed it inside on the three ventilation windows upstairs, with a round needle, the one for sewing furniture. Don't forget the two small vents in top of the bellows and the sliding window downstairs.

Of course some zillion midges enter the Cali as soon as you open the sliding door half a millimeter...

Midge free regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
The brandrup fly outs are probably not worth the money if I can't rely on them to keep midge out. We had a good system with a tent keeping the extension clear of them with various things like mosquito coils and this stopped 99% of them getting inside the tent

I was very disappointed that VW hadn't made the mesh vents in the bellows from midge barrier material, it's a bit short sighted considering how many Cali owners from European visit Scotland as well as the UK owners.

Congratulations on the new delivery!

I'm very much looking forward to continuing my Munro campaign if and when (no, when!) we get a Cali. I've tended to go in June in the past and seem to have avoided the midges.

Martin

Hi DS, my good lady sewed the midge net into the pop up roof Windows and vents which has sorted the blighters. She also doubled over the edges of the midge net and sewed these into the side window mesh panels. It's quite hard keeping the stitching close to the edge but is successful. Get sewing!!