Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi just ordered my first Cali

• Thread starter CaliforniaORbust
  • Start date
Why not take the free years insurance and buy the tracker with money you would pay Comfort insurance? TBH when I got a quote from Comfort in April it was £800 and tracker was mandatory as-well. Obviously the dealer should have told you about the tracker (ours did). Also got a quote from LVE approx £580 no mention of tracker, but year 1 will take the free insurance and use the saved cash to get a tracker that I want on the van

My quote from Comfort is half of your quote.

Comfort - no but if I had one would get a 5% discount - I think I fall just under the value for mandatory tracker #Surfvalue
My quote was for a Surf also approx £70k with a few extras. Very strange these insurance quotes , I insure a New Tiguan for £250!

It's a high value vehicle with a lot of bespoke features; if it gets bumped, that's a lot of repair dosh. I suspect that's what drives the premiums, not the theft risk.

It's a high value vehicle with a lot of bespoke features; if it gets bumped, that's a lot of repair dosh. I suspect that's what drives the premiums, not the theft risk.
Appreciate that, but some big swings in price for the same thing but TBH that seems to be par for the course with insurance…..

Update - got an email from EuroVans Crawley today positively advising that my van has left the factory and on its way to the UK (ordered end March).
So that is really great news - excitement mounting! As is the huge pile of kit for the van in the spare room .
Negative is that the so called “free” one year’s insurance requires a tracker fitting (which they can do for £400 odd…..). I will be using Comfort!!
So my discount “package” just fell in value by £400!!! As I now have to pay for my first years insurance - not a great transparent sales process by VW. I am discussing this with EV.
To be fair to EV Crawley - on our Order form it does say:

"happy camper 3 free services 1st Mot, 1yrs FREE - Insurance(Subject to having Tracker fitted) at customer cost"

Yes the closing bracket is in the wrong place :)

My order is more recent than yours, so maybe they have added that detail - maybe the didn't know that when you ordered? He did mention it when we spoke on the phone - he also suggested that we could take the 7 day drive away insurance and then get the tracker fitter locally then get the 1 year free - although other people have said you only get Drive away OR 1 Year insurance.

Either way - we are doing the same as you and getting our own insurance - I don't want the ongoing costs of a tracker and they don't actually stop the van being taken!

Just been on martins money savers insurance website to check for insurance for my other car.
They had amazing advice.
Look at what job title you put.
I usually put Engineer.
But if I put electronics engineer which is what I do work on. It reduces my premium by 25%
And also the sweet date period to get quotes is between 28 and 23 days.
So did another quote for that period.
Quite went from £335 to £283.
For exactly the same insurance.
Very useful tips.

Useful tips, but you do have to remain in the vicinity of the truth (e.g. job title) otherwise it gives insurers something to grab onto when trying to wriggle out of a claim.

Useful tips, but you do have to remain in the vicinity of the truth (e.g. job title) otherwise it gives insurers something to grab onto when trying to wriggle out of a claim.
Think that’s common sense, you wouldn’t put engineer if you were a HR admin person would you ;)

And some insurers are utter pancake tossers when it comes to an actual claim.
I’ve had nothing but excellent service from LV in 25 years, back when they were frizzle or something.
On all 3 or 4 claims. Brilliant.
Admiral are an utter joke.
Took 12 weeks To pay out on a very upsetting burglary with the daughter. She’s vowed never to use admiral again.
And even if it costs a little more, to use LV or Churchill. As they have great customer service.

Just been on martins money savers insurance website to check for insurance for my other car.
They had amazing advice.
Look at what job title you put.
I usually put Engineer.
But if I put electronics engineer which is what I do work on. It reduces my premium by 25%
And also the sweet date period to get quotes is between 28 and 23 days.
So did another quote for that period.
Quite went from £335 to £283.
For exactly the same insurance.
Very useful tips.
Think I might become an insurance Crash Assessor ;)

Doubtless this would be difficult to get to work in the context of the VW free insurance, but more generally on trackers, I wonder if a battery powered one like this one might be "safer" for vehicle electrics as presumably it doesn't actually connect to the vehicle?

Battery tracker

Just heard my Surf is in the UK on way to EuroVans and I have just got an email asking me to set-up ‘We Connect’ so it must be Christmas really soon?!
Still not had the “We Connect email” and I assume my van is now in the Uk. I assume the dealer has to do something to trigger the email?

Doubtless this would be difficult to get to work in the context of the VW free insurance, but more generally on trackers, I wonder if a battery powered one like this one might be "safer" for vehicle electrics as presumably it doesn't actually connect to the vehicle?

Battery tracker
For me it is more important to prevent theft than recover the van if stolen. With the S5 tracker you need the tag to be able to start it (and for the free insurance of course). I would probably opt for a ghost or bear lock for about the same price as the battery tracker.

Last edited: