Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi! Steering wheel advice welcome

J

JollyJellyfish

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
After years of promising ourselves once the mortgage was paid off we are finally looking for our first Cali, an ex demo or nearly new probably. The name Jolly Jellyfish was dreamed up many, many years ago and cant quite believe we may actually be bringing him to life soon.
The inevitable dilemma of "extras" has cropped up with me being the practical one ( I will be using it solo quite a bit as I breed and exhibit rare poultry all over the country) and husband being the gadget aficionado :headbang
Could someone clarify the use of the multi function steering wheel please. It is just a matter of having the radio, cruise etc within easy reach or is there any other benefit. OH seems to think that you also get a slightly different dash display?
This forum is fantastic and I am rapidly becoming a spec anorak and finding myself knowing more than some of the dealers out there ;)

The MFS has two multi-function controls on the horizontal bar, one on each side.

The left one controls the radio, volume, station and also accepting and rejecting calls if your radio has a phone paring option fitted. If not, the mic symbol button is a useful mute function.
The right one controls the display in the dash. While you are driving only certain functions are available,

When stopped you can change various other settings with these controls.

Cruise control is on the left indicator stalk and not on these buttons.

I find it useful to toggle between fuel consumption, oil temp and speed while I drive...but I am a bit anal that way, or so I am told by the boss!

The only downside is if you drive with your hand resting on the cross bar of the wheel (not at 10 to 2 as we have all been taught) you can accidentally change radio station or display setting while on the move.

Well worth having in my view.

Alan

Thank you.

I have similar buttons on the steering wheel of my Freelander so know what you meant about accidently pressing something....the horn in my case!

And I'm obviously anal as well as I also play around with fuel consumption, range, average speed.........:rolleyes: Well, it is there to be used. That's my excuse anyway.

Without the MFSW you can toggle between the display settings using the button on the end of the right stalk (the indicator stalk).

Personally I love the MFSW but if you do find a good Cali without one they can be professionally fitted for around £300-400 and it will work exactly the same as if it came from the factory.

I like the mfsw too. I love the information at my finger tips.

Thank you for your replies. Took a 140 DSG out for a test drive today (already tried the 180) and I'm sure the sales manager visibly winced when I mentioned this forum!

Personally I love the MFSW
Personally I love the MFSW but if you do find a good Cali without one they can be professionally fitted for around £300-400 and it will work exactly the same as if it came from the factory.

That sounds interesting. I took delivery of a new 140 DSG in February this year. I am kind of wishing I had gone for the MFSW but I just had to say no to extras at some point. Does anyone have experience of retro fitting this, and what about VW warranty?

Thanks

Rick