Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multi-function Steering Wheel

John

John

VIP Member
Original post coordinated

Our Cali order's been placed

But our dealer (the very helpful Paul at Southern Motor Group, Tonbridge) has just said that VW have cancelled the MFSW option across the whole T5 range, so he couldn't order that option.

Anyone else heard that?

It's still listed as an option, and appears on their website:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/ ... ring-wheel

I've emailed VW and asked them to clarify this ... and asked them why their website's so out of date (it's still got the April 2011 price list).

I'm not that disappointed; it was just one of those options which seemed to make sense to add rather than leave out...

Steve

Original post Cali Admin

Hi Steve, That's sounds crazy, I would be really surprised if they dropped it from the options list as to many people this is high on the options list, maybe it now comes as standard? This could be why it was not available to order?

Just a thought

Original post calitess

Oct 19, 2011, 9:17pm, coordinated wrote: Meant to say: is the MFSW worth getting?

Having driven for 40+ years without MFSW I would class it as a nice luxury but not an essential.

If VW have dropped it from the entire T5 range - what next back to crash gear boxes?

Have you asked other VW Cali dealers?

Original post mickyblue

I think you can still get the MFSW as the new VW factory fit Bluetooth system uses buttons on there. It maybe isn't an individual option but part of a 'pack' now or has to be ordered 'in conjunction with other options' if that makes sense.

Our order is being built week 43 as a confirmed order, and has the MFSW on as an option to control the factory radio as we missed out on adding the factory Bluetooth sadly.

Having dealt with many sales people over the years I would suggest it may be a gap in the salespersons product knowledge.

VW customer service phoned me first thing this morning* and said that the basic MFSW option has indeed been withdrawn, but (as Micky suggests) there's a new option - though it's "twice the price, but includes "some phone features".

Will check with my dealer and post more tomorrow.

* I'd had a gentle moan last night via the "Contact us" box on the VW UK website about the site being out of date (the lack of the September 2011 price changes, for example) and about the lack of brochures at any dealer. I'd happened to mention the MFSW too. Good on them for getting back to me so quickly.

Original post BerndRos

My MFSW, March 2010, has both Phone & Voice control apart from other features as well.

Original post swingle

Just ordered my Cali today - the MFSW + £145 is no longer available; only £335 option now

Original post swingle

September price list says:
multifunction with radio controls = £145 (this is the one that's no longer available)
multifunction display and controls for radio and mobile phone = £335

I'm not really any the wiser - I'd have thought the phone control only reaaly works if you go for bluetooth option too?

Oct 22, 2011, 11:39am, swigle wrote: September price list says:
multifunction with radio controls = £145 (this is the one that's no longer available)
multifunction display and controls for radio and mobile phone = £335

I'm not really any the wiser - I'd have thought the phone control only reaaly works if you go for bluetooth option too?

Thanks, swigle

Sorry for the delayed reply. Our dealer got straight back to me after checking this with VW and confirmed:

The new MFSW is £290ish+VAT (as above)

Whilst it's Bluetooth compatible, you'd still need the Bluetooth Premium kit, at another £300ish, to use it with a phone.

I only really wanted to be able to operate the stereo from the steering wheel. But for £300, I'm sure I can manage to stretch my arm as far as the stereo instead - or ask my illustrious co-pilot .

We've just cancelled the option.

The gadget geek in me thinks this is a bit of a shame, but VW's pricing is getting a bit daft here, IMHO.

I'm also in two minds whether it's worth spending money (for a van I'd like to last 20 years) on Bluetooth, as it's becoming an old technology (though I guess it'll be a good few years before the next version is readily available).

Original post mark

I have ordered the following options back in Sept:

1. Steering wheel: multifunction with radio controls

2. Bluetooth: includes multi-function display

So it's interesting to find that they have discontinued item 1 so I am checking with my dealer.

Does anyone know what item 2 provides me. I assumed it provides a built in mic and also the phone function cuts off the radio when making or receiving a call. Also the phone info is displayed on the radio screen. The downside is that you can't answer the phone via the steering wheel (unless you have the options covered in the above thread).

Thanks

Original post mkrw

I am also looking to place an order shortly.

I've been advised the cheaper MFSW is no longer available.
You need to order both the more expensive MFSW and the Blue tooth option if you want phone connectivity.

Or just the more expensive steering wheel if you want the radio buttons.

This is just what I was advised and still unsure.....

My new Cali came with a MFSW however it differs from the one I had on my VW Eos in that it doesn't have paddles to shift up and down the gears. So is this a chopped down MFSW? Both vehicles were DSG automatics.
I'm not all that worried as I rarely used the paddles (except for decending steep hills).
Have Fun
Bob

HistoryBob said:
My new Cali came with a MFSW however it differs from the one I had on my VW Eos in that it doesn't have paddles to shift up and down the gears. So is this a chopped down MFSW? Both vehicles were DSG automatics.
I'm not all that worried as I rarely used the paddles (except for decending steep hills).
Have Fun
Bob

HistoryBob

If you want paddles, all is not lost...

http://www.hazzydayz.com/genuine-vw-5k- ... 1683-p.asp

James

No change on the Cali as it never had paddle shift on its dsg historybob ... But as James shows u can get retro fitted at a price...

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about the lack of paddles personally but I suspect they can't be retrofitted. I'm at Hazzy Days on Tuesday and will ask them if the retrofit is possible.
Have Fun
Bob

HistoryBob said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about the lack of paddles personally but I suspect they can't be retrofitted. I'm at Hazzy Days on Tuesday and will ask them if the retrofit is possible.
Have Fun
Bob

What u got going in the Cali Tuesday bob ;-) ?
Think hazzy days gets a lot of work from the club ... Maybe we should get more discount :)

Parking sensors F&R, rear camera, RNS 510 satnav + DAB, Bluetooth and possibly cruise control.
Overload? Overspent and Overjoyed !!!

I've used Hazzy Dayz before when they came to my house and fitted RNS 510 & Bluetooth to my Eos and I couldn't fault them. This time because of the parking sensors they need the Cali in their workshop. They hope to fit the whole thing out in a day, so I have to be there (Herts) by 8.00am. Might just spend my first night in the Cali outside there shop :D

Any suggestions on things to do in the area that are within walking distance. Garden centres, tool shops, camping stores?

Have Fun

Any suggestions on things to do in the area that are within walking distance. Garden centres, tool shops, camping stores?

If you are going to their Markyate site there isn't much around there. Could probably catch a bus to Luton. Oh there is Whipsonade Zoo, but would imagine it is closed at this time of year. Take a good book !

Back