Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi, tailgate and awning

kwmb

kwmb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi
I'm karen (accidentally put male on my profile) just got my first Cali, currently enjoying the sun in Suffolk! I was hoping for some good advice, it's a t5, registered last year - the tailgate seems very heavy to close (am I doing something wrong?) also looking to get an awning, air type one - is there a really popular recommended one, and any tips on bike racks are very welcome. This is my first weekend out, and so far I'm loving it!

The tailgate may have extra strength gas struts fitted to help hold up a (tailgate fitted) bike rack.
If it's the final close that's the problem, try opening a door, as you are compressing a whole lot of air when closing the tailgate.

Hi Karen, the tailgate is heavy to close,
If you have a bike rack on, and bikes, it becomes much eaisier,
So much so that with three bikes on, mine does not stay open.
I guess that is why they used such powerful struts. 1250 newtons, if I remember correctly.
If it was a real problem, you can buy less powerful ones.

Mine is heavy too - and doesnt open fully by itself. Its a big heavy door so i think you just have to adapt. I was told to close the door by pushing on the number plate as there is a strut behind it and you will not damage the boot - seems to work

Hi and welcome , as said above the struds on the tailgate ar a bit a pain in the @ss .
They also intend to make a sqeecking noise sometimes , no worry's
They are that strong to hold the boothdoor up with a bikerack ....
If no bikerack fitted , adding some stuff inbetween the folded campingseats also helps an easyer closure.
Most who got the roof-topper and/or a outside thermalfrontwindscreen ( from Comforts ;)) put these in there ....
Then when to heavy , it does not stays up....:headbang also outside themp. has influence on it.

Last edited:
Tha
Hi Karen, the tailgate is heavy to close,
If you have a bike rack on, and bikes, it becomes much eaisier,
So much so that with three bikes on, mine does not stay open.
I guess that is why they used such powerful struts. 1250 newtons, if I remember correctly.
If it was a real problem, you can buy less powerful ones.
thanks, really good info, makes sense too!

Hi and welcome , as said above the struds on the tailgate ar a bit a pain in the @ss .
They also intend to make a sqeecking noise sometimes , no worry's
They are that strong to hold the boothdoor up with a bikerack ....
If no bikerack fitted , adding some stuff inbetween the folded campingseats also helps an easyer closure.
Most who got the roof-topper and/or a outside thermalfrontwindscreen ( from Comforts ;)) put these in there ....
Then when to heavy , it does not stays up....:headbang also outside themp. has influence on it.
Excellent thank you

I w
The tailgate may have extra strength gas struts fitted to help hold up a (tailgate fitted) bike rack.
If it's the final close that's the problem, try opening a door, as you are compressing a whole lot of air when closing the tailgate.
i will try that thank you

Welcome Karen. The Vango Airbeam range are popular - I have a Kela 2 (2015 version) which is pretty quick and easy to put up (but easier when you have someone taller around to help ;)). The Kela 3 (2016 version) has a 'low' model which suits the height of the Cali better. I don't have a problem with the Kela 2 as I don't have the wind out awning which I believe is what causes the problem on the taller awning. I'd also recommend getting a drive away kit as not only does it make going away easier, the awning sits better on the van.
Hope you make it to some of the meets this year :thumb

Welcome Karen. The Vango Airbeam range are popular - I have a Kela 2 (2015 version) which is pretty quick and easy to put up (but easier when you have someone taller around to help ;)). The Kela 3 (2016 version) has a 'low' model which suits the height of the Cali better. I don't have a problem with the Kela 2 as I don't have the wind out awning which I believe is what causes the problem on the taller awning. I'd also recommend getting a drive away kit as not only does it make going away easier, the awning sits better on the van.
Thanks alisonf, we have been looking at the vango, but from past experience with tents we liked outwell, but vango seems to be the popular choice, so we have some thinking to do! Hopefully we can make some of the meets, can't wait to go out again!

Thanks alisonf, we have been looking at the vango, but from past experience with tents we liked outwell, but vango seems to be the popular choice, so we have some thinking to do! Hopefully we can make some of the meets, can't wait to go out again!
Hi Alisonf, I was just wondering if you could tell me what happens at the meets? Thanks

@kwmb if you look at the forum folder for Club meets you'll see lots of feedback and pics from various meets which gives a good feel for it. The most recent ones in April being Lower Lode (an official club meet) and Eskdale (informal club meet).

The meets are low key and friendly. I have been to 3 now and have met some new friends happy to chat about our travels.
I'll be seeing Alison on the next one in Glen Nevis, then I hope to go to Weymouth in September.
The ones I have been to are a case of all meeting for a Saturday night meal and otherwise just lots of passing chat.
Lots of dogs love them too!:bananadance

Karen, we are
Hi
I'm karen (accidentally put male on my profile) just got my first Cali, currently enjoying the sun in Suffolk! I was hoping for some good advice, it's a t5, registered last year - the tailgate seems very heavy to close (am I doing something wrong?) also looking to get an awning, air type one - is there a really popular recommended one, and any tips on bike racks are very welcome. This is my first weekend out, and so far I'm loving it!
We are in an adjacent county to you and have 2015 T5 and I don't find the tailgate heavy unless the bikes are loaded. Our T5 had the VW bike rack , I like it but would always need assistance to load a bike on it. Very convenient as it is always there. The T5 came with an awning and we did try one of those blow ups - Kampa - but they are heavy, you will never repack it like it originally came out of the carry case. Well I couldn't. I have a quecha now which can stand next to awning for just a bit more cover. This will get its first outing in a week's time... I will report back then !

It makes a huge difference when the picnic chairs are not in the zip-up compartment. Mine's as light as a feather when they're in, but when out the tailgate is a real struggle to close.

Hi Karen, we have a outdoor revolution oxygen duo awning, found it easy to put up (10mins) plus another 10/15mins to peg out, looks nice too. we considered a tailgate bike carrier but didn't fancy inconvenience of having to remove bikes to open tailgate. we went for an altera strada DL 3 bike carrier, it slides away from the van allowing the tailgate to open and when slid away you can access the tailgate fully as it is clear of the van.

Hi Karen, we have a outdoor revolution oxygen duo awning, found it easy to put up (10mins) plus another 10/15mins to peg out, looks nice too. we considered a tailgate bike carrier but didn't fancy inconvenience of having to remove bikes to open tailgate. we went for an altera strada DL 3 bike carrier, it slides away from the van allowing the tailgate to open and when slid away you can access the tailgate fully as it is clear of the van.
We have an altera too. Very good and easy to use. You don't have to struggle to lift up the bike onto a high rack and you can open the back door when the bikes are on board. Brill!

Hi Karen
just had a week away using an Outdoor revolution Oxygen 2 awning for the first time.
Very pleased with it, easy to put up single handed and fits under the rear shelf when stowed.
Its similar to the "duo" but slightly smaller.
Makes a big difference to a longish stay having the extra room.

Karen, we are

We are in an adjacent county to you and have 2015 T5 and I don't find the tailgate heavy unless the bikes are loaded. Our T5 had the VW bike rack , I like it but would always need assistance to load a bike on it. Very convenient as it is always there. The T5 came with an awning and we did try one of those blow ups - Kampa - but they are heavy, you will never repack it like it originally came out of the carry case. Well I couldn't. I have a quecha now which can stand next to awning for just a bit more cover. This will get its first outing in a week's time... I will report back then !
Thanks, I hope it goes well!

I will look into that, our friends have outdoor revolution on their caravan and that's easy and nice too.

Hi Karen
just had a week away using an Outdoor revolution Oxygen 2 awning for the first time.
Very pleased with it, easy to put up single handed and fits under the rear shelf when stowed.
Its similar to the "duo" but slightly smaller.
Makes a big difference to a longish stay having the extra room.

It makes a huge difference when the picnic chairs are not in the zip-up compartment. Mine's as light as a feather when they're in, but when out the tailgate is a real struggle to close.
That makes sense now after all I have been reading, thanks

On the awning theme, I'm looking for a new awning that suits the slide door of the Cali being on the driver's side - any issues with the Vango Kela 3? (My previous van had the door on the passenger side, and our existing awning accommodated the open door within the awning, whereas on the Cali the door has to slide outside of the awning...). It doesn't sound like much of an issue, but trying to line up the entrance of the awning with the opening of the van, without letting the Cornish rain run down the inside of the open door... You get the problem. Any suggestions?

I've had no issues with the vango kela 3 low

Back