Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi There!

C

CaliPete

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Well, just picked up our new T6 Beach 4 Motion on Friday. Exciting times!! We are so pleased with the car - as we upgraded from a Chrysler Town & Country van we now have so much more space for the two of us and our five sled dogs. Plenty of space for the dog sled and all the equipment (it really adds up!) and the ability to stay overnight at a race or at a campground. Also I expect to not be stuck in snow as often as I used to be... This is definitely a game changer for us :)
Some observations that certainly have been mentioned many times but are relevant to me.

The good:
- The DSG is silky smooth. The 150hp engine is definitely strong enough for the Swiss alps. I am glad I didn't get the larger motor.
- Lots and lots of space. Really smart solutions such as the chairs and table storage, swivel chairs, bed.
- The navigation system is much better than on the car I test drove. The backup camera used to take up to five seconds to start but on the T6 it is instantaneous. Fun fun fun!!

The questions:
- I don't really know what to do with the Car-Net functionality. I can do all the same things with my Iphone and if I want to use Car-Net I need to tether my phone with the car anyways and use data volume. Am I looking at this the wrong way? What am I not seeing?
- I don't know how to show the speed as a digital readout (large, not the secondary small speed in the bottom of the digital screen). I know this feature is available but cannot find it anywhere. Any tips?
- The users manual is pretty awful. Noise to content ratio is really off. Seems like half of the text is warnings and what not to do rather than useful, relevant information. I tried to download the manual on the web but was told that "for my safety" it was not available. Is there anything better out there in the big big world that I could download or purchase?

The summary:
We are really happy with our purchase and look forward to the fun-filled travels! Thanks to all for the many valuable contributions in this forum as it has helped me immensely in the process of deciding which features are relevant for us!!

Hi CaliPete, congratulations on your new T6 Beach. It sounds as if your going to have loads of fun in it with your dogs. Some photos would be nice.
Sorry I can't answer any of your questions but Maybe some of the new T6 owners can. Nice to know that they have Improved the speed that the reversing camera takes to display, it's a great option.
Happy travels.

Hello Calipete, I'm new to the forum too but welcome. Sounds like your van is just the right tool for the job. Agreed looby, a few pics would be great. I never get bored of looking at pics of other people motors.
As for car-net I tried for about half an hour to set it all up on the VW site with the vin no. new login in, password details etc and followed the steps but couldn't see what was on offer. At the last page it said something like your current order is £0.00 and I backed out so I can only assume at this stage you can add certain functions at a cost? When I get time I might give the dealer a ring to pick his brains on the subject. If I find anything out I'll let you know.
I'll look into the digital readout but off the top of my head can't say I have ever seen it displayed on the MFD in a large format, will stand corrected though.
Enjoy!

Hi CaliPete, congratulations on your new wheels! I pick mine up on Wednesday and already booked our first trip away for the weekend. I am going to be using mine as an everyday but I only really drive at weekends or do an odd trip to the office or local shops during the week. Like you say, the forum has been so useful and we've only just begun our journey... :)

Hi CaliPete and welcome!
Where are you in Switzerland? I'm very near to Zurich, and there are a few other members in Switzerland also.
Seems that we will soon be able to form a Swiss sub-section of this forum :D;)

Hi calipete, I have had a play around with the mfd and I can't find a way to get the large speed format. Having had a search on a few other forums you might be able to add extra functionality to the mfd via a VCDS. Or upgrade to the colour mfd which seems to have it.

Thanks everyone for your replies and help!
Swissian, I am close to Lucerne so not too far away.
Yorkdubshire, I just spoke,with a colleague who,has a T5. He told me that he often uses the large digital readout. I wonder if it was discontinued with the T6? But that does not seem to make any sense?!

Hi Calipete I went to the dealer the other day and asked him about car-net. From what he said my opinion (like yours) is it isn't worth doing, it gives you a health check of your vehicle (which the vehicle does itself anyway) and tells you where garages are (which the sat nav does). It's free for 3 years and the you have to pay apparently. They were probably going to pump some money in for development but can't see it now.

Back