Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hiking Navigation Apps

Dysie

Dysie

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Is anyone able to recommend a French hiking/trail navigation app similiar to the UKs OS Maps. Have read about IGN but cannot see from this or any others easily accessible functionality where you can create routes online and download to your smartphone to follow.
Off to Chamonix and want to get off the beaten tracks. First time abroad in the Cali.

Welcome any insight on this. Thanks

Is anyone able to recommend a French hiking/trail navigation app similiar to the UKs OS Maps. Have read about IGN but cannot see from this or any others easily accessible functionality where you can create routes online and download to your smartphone to follow.
Off to Chamonix and want to get off the beaten tracks. First time abroad in the Cali.

My wife and I use Komoot.

Outdoor Active? Used to be Viewranger

Komoot is excellent for turn by nav. A huge library of users walking routes with photos and descriptions . You have to pay for the maps £20

Topo GPS is also good, especially as it allows you to buy the French equivalent to OS for mapping data. Can’t remember the cost but you can buy by zone as per OS

Both have Apple Watch versions which can be useful.

Another vote for Komoot. If you’re thinking about a specific trail then Hiiker is pretty good as they overlay water stops, accommodation, shops, cafes en route. They also now have planning functionality and if you upgrade to their Pro version you can access French IGN 1:25,000 maps within the app.

If I remember correctly there’s a really good tourist centre with brilliant routes and maps. Go there and download as needs

iPhigenie gives you the IGN maps on subscription and is excellent. You can create routes on your phone, or on a computer. It’s excellent.

I also use mapout which has some very useful features and is only £4.99 for a one time purchase. It has all the openstreet map features, you can plot routes and add in POIs

Komoot I find annoying as the choice of maps is poor.

Ridewith GPS is OK but it’s really hard to create routes on the phone — OK if you have access to a computer for route creation. Has a good selection of layers but really more cycling oriented I think.

Thanks everyone, appreciate you taking the time to respond. More than enough options here. No doubt most will do the job just fine, I'll take a look now.

Just started using Alltrails in uk (better than os for me which I also use) and is very good, seem to cover France too but not tried in France.

I will throw another one in the mix to check out- Mapy.cz (the app is a green square with a white M)
It takes a bit of time to download- but it has maps (roads and trails)for all of Europe and can be used when offline.

I even have heard people use it for driving/navigation as it doesn't require data.
Plus it is a free app.

I use OS maps on my Garmin via GPS Training (great company) and they can give additional mapping for anywhere in Europe and beyond!

Back