Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Navigation updates

Old Sid

Old Sid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Has anyone tried updating their navigation system yet?

Having encountered a few roads & junctions the 2015 mapping didn't know, I figured I'd update.
You can download the updates from the VW website. The site worked fine and the download started.
From there on the problems started.
1. The download took ages and didn't appear as a zip file when, hours later, it appeared in my downloads folder.
2. My iMac had no suitable software to unzip the file. I found something at the app store.
3. Unzipping took an age and finally completed with an error message.
4. The unzipped file looked okay but wasn't.

I have now copied the original file back to the SD card and am about to return it to the van. It's now very late at night or very early in the morning, depending on how you look at it.
Has anyone managed to do this update using an iMac? Any info would be useful. Yes, I know I could use Apple Maps instead but that's not the point.
Failing that, it's a visit to the dealer.

UPDATE
Having failed to get the new nav data, I restored the SD card using the original data. Guess what, the van's nav system says the data is invalid. So now I don't have nav at all.

Okay. I've got it sussed. (Now 03:15).

The VW website info is correct but lacks a bit of info. I followed it correctly but missed a couple of crucial bits. (I'm using a Mac).
1. Download the update file from the VW website. No problem there although it's a big file. The downloaded file is called '0635_V05_1204c 2.xEUR1.7z'.
2. Unzip the file using a suitable app. I used 'Decompressor' which was free on the App Store. This extracts creating a folder called '0635_V05_1204c 2-2.xEUR1. The folder you want is inside this folder and cunningly called 'maps'.
3. Copy the old maps folder from the unlocked SD card to your hard drive (just in case). Then wipe the SD card. Make sure you format it MS DOS (FAT32). (This was one of the errors I made on the first 4 attempts).
4. Now copy the new maps folder to the SD card. This takes ages.
5. Finally, lock the card and shove it in slot 2 on the Nav unit. You get a message to say the system is checking the data and then it all works and you celebrate with a mug of tea and go to bed.

Mistakes I made:
a) My computer decided it was a good idea to backup the downloaded file to iCloud and slowed everything down to the speed of a deceased parrot.
b) I reformatted the SD card to the default format - WRONG!
c) I copied the root decompressed folder to the SD card when I should have opened it and copied 'maps'.
d) I attempted this late on Friday evening.

Have I noticed any immediate differences? Well no, the voice still says 'destination road' in a very condescending way. Time will tell.

My favourites, previous destinations, etc. are all still there. Nothing got wiped. My faith in technology is restored! (possibly).

Thanks for the info @Old Sid. Not feeling brave enough yet but might have a look at mine and see what version it's running.

Mike

Thanks for the info @Old Sid. Not feeling brave enough yet but might have a look at mine and see what version it's running.

Mike
Having tackled it, I would now feel confident enough to do the job again for the next update.

Has anyone tried updating their navigation system yet?
2. My iMac had no suitable software to unzip the file. I found something at the app store.
:)

That is weird, a mac should automatically unzip any download (even if you don't want it to), or at least all of mine do and have.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the VW data, I got some 2016 data on an expensive SD card because I was fed up of driving through fields or roundabouts that didn't exist (or diverting me up service lanes). Sadly the new data isn't much better and the garage that disappeared 20 years ago is still showing as a fuel stop too.

That is weird, a mac should automatically unzip any download (even if you don't want it to), or at least all of mine do and have.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the VW data, I got some 2016 data on an expensive SD card because I was fed up of driving through fields or roundabouts that didn't exist (or diverting me up service lanes). Sadly the new data isn't much better and the garage that disappeared 20 years ago is still showing as a fuel stop too.
That is the reason I don't bother paying for an in car sat nav as they are generally out of date and costly to upgrade.
The current exception to the rule is the in-car partnerships TomTom have done as these are updated just as their dedicated devices. I think vehicle manufacturers should stick to making cars and let the tech companies do the navigation. CarPlay(App Connect) is a good step to the ideal situation except Apple are not opening the door to the best nav apps yet.

Does an upgrade allow you to change the nav guidance voice. I don't like Rob Tichener telling me what to do, it affects my confidence..................

Does an upgrade allow you to change the nav guidance voice. I don't like Rob Tichener telling me what to do, it affects my confidence..................
No sign of an option to change the voice. However, mine has a female voice.
Generally speaking, the SatNav works well. However, I am always faced with the option to choose from three different routes - red, orange or blue. None of these are the best option. I want an option that will stick to major roads as far as possible, avoid stupid short cuts that reduce distance by 10 metres but increase driving time by 45 minutes and avoid roads with 6'6" width restrictions.
I guess there's no substitute for having worked out a suitable route ahead of the journey then just using the nav to keep on track.
I would like to be able to use Google Maps through Car Play.

My iMac didn't unzip the file. I figured it would, but it didn't.
The unzip app was free so I'm not that bothered. What surprised me was that, having copied the old data and then dragged the contents of the SD card to 'trash', the SD card was still 'full'. Why? The only way I could empty the SD card was to reformat it and that's where the trouble started. It would have been fine if I had chosen the 'FAT32' format. I should have known this but, like many people, I tend not to read the messages on screen fully. At least the update is free.

I'm not looking forward to being stuck on Apple Maps - i might actually consider switching to Samsung phones to get around this as I believe Android Auto works on App Connect and will allow you to use Google Maps.

I'm not looking forward to being stuck on Apple Maps - i might actually consider switching to Samsung phones to get around this as I believe Android Auto works on App Connect and will allow you to use Google Maps.
This is as I understand it too.
I understand that Apple Maps are now okay but I'm committed to Google now.
Maybe the Google Map app will be available on Car Play soon.

Lots of other cheaper phones rather than going for Samsung. I sport a One Plus.

This is as I understand it too.
I understand that Apple Maps are now okay but I'm committed to Google now.
Maybe the Google Map app will be available on Car Play soon.

I think Apple have a vested interest in restricting us to Apple Maps even though it's universally regarded as inferior (but maybe better than it used to be). All we can hope is that the unpopularity will lead them to stop developing Apple Maps in the near future (tech companies seem to love dropping products and AM never catches up) and then let us use Google.

I am sure Apple will allow other apps if the app company buys a licence in future, I am hoping TomTom will be one, Apple maps are okay currently as they are at least now using map data from TomTom.

No sign of an option to change the voice. However, mine has a female voice.
Generally speaking, the SatNav works well. However, I am always faced with the option to choose from three different routes - red, orange or blue. None of these are the best option. I want an option that will stick to major roads as far as possible, avoid stupid short cuts that reduce distance by 10 metres but increase driving time by 45 minutes and avoid roads with 6'6" width restrictions.
I guess there's no substitute for having worked out a suitable route ahead of the journey then just using the nav to keep on track.
Do you not have the capability to select the Fastest/Shortest route or to Avoid Ferry/Off-Road/Minor/Main or Motorways as you have on the RNS 510?

My iMac didn't unzip the file. I figured it would, but it didn't.
The unzip app was free so I'm not that bothered. What surprised me was that, having copied the old data and then dragged the contents of the SD card to 'trash', the SD card was still 'full'. Why? The only way I could empty the SD card was to reformat it and that's where the trouble started. It would have been fine if I had chosen the 'FAT32' format. I should have known this but, like many people, I tend not to read the messages on screen fully. At least the update is free.
On an iMac when you delete files from an external source, SD card in this case, then although the files appear to be removed from the card they are still there, and counted, although you cannot see them until such time as the "Trash" is emptied as until you do that you still have the capability to restore the files to the card.

Do you not have the capability to select the Fastest/Shortest route or to Avoid Ferry/Off-Road/Minor/Main or Motorways as you have on the RNS 510?
Yes. Red route is supposed to be fastest but it isn't. I think it calculates driving time based on the directness of roads and assumes you can do max permissible speed. I recently got directed along what appeared to be a much more direct route along 'A' roads. However, this took me off a decent dual carriageway and onto a twisty and steep road through a forest. It turned out to be much longer and hard work to drive. Same happens in London where the suggested routes go through urban areas instead of using the motorway. This is why I did the upgrade, hoping that the new version might be better. Don't know if it is yet.

I only have experience of the RNS510, in that when it deviates from the recognised direct, fastest route then it is usually due to traffic congestion etc:, as you can see in the traffic messages it can display.
As the T6 system is obviously different then I'll have to leave it to other T6 owners to advise.:thumb

There is an iOS App called 'CoPilot Caravan Europe'. This is a Sat Nav app that allows you to enter the dimensions of your vehicle (and trailer) and it calculates appropriate routes. Has anyone tried it?

I have the standard iOS CoPilot satnav and its pretty good system but I haven't tried the caravan version. I had a look if it could be activated in the existing app but it seems not. I can set my vehicle to motorhome but it only effects the average speed for routing rather than dimension.

One thing I liked about Co-pilot is that you download the maps so they are on phone. Lack of phone signal doesn't mean no satnav with this one. That said the maps are charged for £19.99 for europe for example.

£7.99 a year extra for live traffic info. How much is the caravan app? £49.99 it seems? Do you get a map with that?

I do know that in the UK Ordnance survey is about to begin selling the data for bridges and road widths etc to satnav companies so it is likely to improve in the next few years massively. Although it won't be free on things like Google or Waze unless those companies choose to absorb the cost or even make it available to non-truckers..

@MattBW bridge heights, weight & speed limits are part of the mapping supplied to satnav companies. Main mapping companies are Teleatlas & Navteq.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk