Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hinge/Bracket Snapped on Top Bed

D

davo125

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Davo did you find the part number as the same just happened to us !
Yep, so in all the online versions of the top bed diagram I couldn't find the number but my garage sent me a snippet of their diagram.
1629183915742.png

It was piece number 12. One of the issues of installing it myself was that in order to fix the rivets on the side, you need to remove the canvas in the roof. My garage were great and said it was still under warranty so they did it for me at no cost. But it was trickier than it looked initially.

S

SSmithHerts

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Yep, so in all the online versions of the top bed diagram I couldn't find the number but my garage sent me a snippet of their diagram.
View attachment 83235

It was piece number 12. One of the issues of installing it myself was that in order to fix the rivets on the side, you need to remove the canvas in the roof. My garage were great and said it was still under warranty so they did it for me at no cost. But it was trickier than it looked initially.
This site is so helpful. The same has just happened to me but couldn’t see anything under the bed frame to put pressure on this to snap it. Could anyone let me know that the dealer did indeed sort this under warranty. Thanks

D

davo125

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
This site is so helpful. The same has just happened to me but couldn’t see anything under the bed frame to put pressure on this to snap it. Could anyone let me know that the dealer did indeed sort this under warranty. Thanks
Hey there, I'm afraid I don't know what magic they did to ensure it was covered under warranty. They just took it and said as we'd only had the van a few months it would be covered. It could be just their way of being nice but I wasn't complaining due to the money I've given them :) You could give your dealer a call and ask if it might be covered or not. I think it took them around an hour to do the work and the piece itself only cost 10 Euros

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
View attachment 83235

One of the issues of installing it myself was that in order to fix the rivets on the side, you need to remove the canvas in the roof.

That isn't right, if you search for the thread about upgrading the bed springs, the whole bed base can be extracted in one piece relatively easily, the pop rivet that holds the hinge can then be done easily outside the van with no need to touch the canvas.

Nich

Nich

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
View attachment 83235

Do you know the size of the rivets (pos. 69). I'm seeking information on DIY change of hinge on our new Ocean. Greetings Nich

VW California Club