Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Upper Bed Hinge - DIY FIX

Mattsv

Mattsv

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Like a few others, I learnt the hard way this weekend that leaving anything on the ledge below where the bed hinges, results in the plastic bracket snapping.

I managed to source a new bracket from Campervantastic which arrived very quickly and only cost £8 plus delivery. Upper Bed Hinges

Hardest bit was drilling out the old rivet - needed a bit of persuading but not too bad. Slid the old clip out (undid the torx bolt on the bracket to make it easier) and fixed the new bracket using a cabinet joining bolt rather than a rivet.

Straight forward job, no need to remove pop top at all. Left a couple of tiny marks on the frame but no one will ever see them under the mattress. Might have been covered under warranty easy enough job to DIY - if you can drill out a rivet then it is easy to do :)

20220420_132541.jpg

20220420_132659.jpg

Last edited:
This just happened to us. Anyone know a temporary fix? Currently away for the next three nights.

Like a few others, I learnt the hard way this weekend that leaving anything on the ledge below where the bed hinges, results in the plastic bracket snapping.

I managed to source a new bracket from Campervantastic which arrived very quickly and only cost £8 plus delivery. Upper Bed Hinges

Hardest bit was drilling out the old rivet - needed a bit of persuading but not too bad. Slid the old clip out (undid the torx bolt on the bracket to make it easier) and fixed the new bracket using a cabinet joining bolt rather than a rivet.

Straight forward job, no need to remove pop top at all. Left a couple of tiny marks on the frame but no one will ever see them under the mattress. Might have been covered under warranty easy enough job to DIY - if you can drill out a rivet then it is easy to do :)

View attachment 92082

View attachment 92083
Hi this has happened to me I have managed to remove the rivet on one side but can‘t remove the rivet next to the pop top as it is too close to the canvas to use a drill how did you manage to remove this rivet

Hi this has happened to me I have managed to remove the rivet on one side but can‘t remove the rivet next to the pop top as it is too close to the canvas to use a drill how did you manage to remove this rivet
It was a combination of drilling (from the end you can get to) and using a punch and hammer. Bit of a PITA and needs a bit of patience. Good luck.

It was a combination of drilling (from the end you can get to) and using a punch and hammer. Bit of a PITA and needs a bit of patience. Good luck.
They did mine under warranty, but I guess you are too far down the road now.

It was a combination of drilling (from the end you can get to) and using a punch and hammer. Bit of a PITA and needs a bit of patience. Good
Shockwave Impact Duty Right Angle Attachment, Right Angle Drill Attachment, Drill Accessory, 90 Degree Angled Drill Adapter, ABS Handle Power Tool Parts Electric Screwdriver Repair https://amzn.eu/d/5PpY7Lt

I used this attachment on my drill so I could get access the the other side worked like a dream all fixed now thank you for your reply

View attachment 92082

View attachment 92083
What size cabinet joining bolt did you use?

Back