Holiday / tour preparation

Eber123

Eber123

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Good afternoon,

In not only 4 weeks we will start our tour through Europe - Germany, Poland, Slovenia, Itlay, France, Spain. According to Google Maps it should be about 6,500 km.

Obviously I try to prepare as much as possible. So far we have arranged the following:
  • Kind of agreed the route
  • Booked the few "main" places one in Poland the other in Italy
  • Started to gather information about rules of the road in the various countries
  • Try to book a check-up of the van with my Volkswagen dealer
  • Try to get the light protectors
  • Try to communicate with my insurance broker (has not answered yet)
  • We have some ideas about the "camping workflow", which we will test this Friday to Saturday
I was wondering what other people have done to prepare for a journey? For example I still don't know what paper work I should bring with me for the car to prove ownership? I will not bring my original documentation, but is a copy good enough?

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

we are back from our holidays. We planned our route through various countries and used the freedom of the camper van to change. This was our route:

1566317034032.png

We took the ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg and from Santander to Cork. We drove altogether 6,289 km.

Even though it was in the height of summer we didn't book any camping sites and did not get in any trouble to find a free spot. Even though we tried to take only with us we believed we need, we learned and next time it will be even less.

Before the journey a check up done by my local VW dealer. At this point AdBlue was filled up. Coming back after the holiday we still have 6,000 km to go before AdBlue needs to be filled up.

In general it was a very successful holiday. We saw a lot and learned a lot. We don't know exactly what year, but the planning for the Scandinavia trip has started :).

Regards,
Eberhard

We used camping Fusina for Venice, thoroughly enjoyed watching the large ships coming into the docks and a short walk to the ferry for Venice. If you are going along the coast Menton on the French Italian border is beautiful, just spent 10 days with my daughter camping at St Madelene Sospel, never want to see an air bed again and its surprising how much you can fit into a Mini convertible.

You may need the original V5C. We were asked for ours at the Bulgaria-Romania border, at the Romania-Hungarian border and after a prang in Poland. Stow it under cabin roof trim below the upper bed.

Good evening,

We didn't stay in Venice. I can't remember exactly where we stayed over night, I have to look it up. Our goal was to get to Pompei, so we always chose campsites close to the motorway.

In Pompei we stayed in a campsite called Spartacus. Which was brilliant, just a few metres away from the entry to the historical site and about 200m away from the train station.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good evening Eberhard

Sorry I missed your thread and it seems as it was a great journey and adventure! Thanks for sharing anyway.

Happy planning your next trip
Kind regards
sapto

Good afternoon,

In not only 4 weeks we will start our tour through Europe - Germany, Poland, Slovenia, Itlay, France, Spain. According to Google Maps it should be about 6,500 km.

Obviously I try to prepare as much as possible. So far we have arranged the following:
  • Kind of agreed the route
  • Booked the few "main" places one in Poland the other in Italy
  • Started to gather information about rules of the road in the various countries
  • Try to book a check-up of the van with my Volkswagen dealer
  • Try to get the light protectors
  • Try to communicate with my insurance broker (has not answered yet)
  • We have some ideas about the "camping workflow", which we will test this Friday to Saturday
I was wondering what other people have done to prepare for a journey? For example I still don't know what paper work I should bring with me for the car to prove ownership? I will not bring my original documentation, but is a copy good enough?

Regards,
Eberhard
We just got back from Spain. You are required to have your original reg docs I’m afraid. Keep the photocopy at home. We have an Ocean so stowed our originals and valuables in the lockable glove box and safe. We didn’t need the light deflectors as there’s a setting in the ocean to change the light setting but if you don’t, you’ll need them as lots of tunnels where your lights could dazzle. You need GB on your number plate or sticker at the rear. Also a hazard triangle and a reflector jacket in your boot. We also notified our insurers and took copies of our insurance policy and breakdown cover with us. I would also cut yourself a break a couple of times and book a b n b or nice hotel - I love our van but just to sleep in a massive bed and get someone else to do some laundry instead of me part way thru was a luxury I’d happily pay for again! Made me and my back very happy.