Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook up cable

Ambler

Ambler

VIP Member
Sorry. this has been asked before but a search reveals hundreds of posts.
Soemwhere in the past advice was offered to buy a certain type (waterproof) cable rather than the standard orange one.
Also, 10m or 25m?

Thanks for any advice.

You may be thinking of arctic cable. It stays flexible when all others don't. It is blue rather than orange and may or may not be fully ISO approved for what you use it for. I have two 10m ones and have rarely needed more...
That said, I am opting for no hookup more and more often these days!

The orange one is the one you want, although I have never been to a site that objects to anything else. In fact in France some people just use domestic extension leads!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

I bought a 25m one. I then cut it into a 8.3m and a 16.7m one. I bought a male and a female plug to create two leads and this gives me total flexibility. Both leads live in the van but I have never needed the 16.7 one let alone the "widowmaker" by connecting them together to make 25m. 25m is far, far, far too long in most circumstances

The Cali will work on batteries quite happily for a couple of days anyway. I have never ran out of battery power in the Cali as I rarely stop anywhere for more than three nights.

In the politically correct age, where domestic risk is unacceptable to our controlling classes in Westminster and Brussels, you must be aware that electricity can kill. Accordingly undertaking the above work the above without proper training, audit, compliance and registration procedures can have ramifications. It is fine to start illegal wars, leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people but god forbid if you touch your own electrical circuits without full state sanction.

I've done the same as gatvol, but have just bought for £6 off eBay a case to store the split cable in - having spent 4 years wrestling with a tangle of cable, these two things have made my day - that's how sad I am :)

I have a case too !!!!! I store all my electrical bits in there with the cables, reverse polarity tester, polarity reversal cable , 3 pin adaptor

Calis bring out the packing nerd in people.

Back