Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How deep would you go?

This reminds me of when I was staying overnight with my son who was at Uni in Egham. His flat had an underground car park.
he went to carry my stuff to the car, called the lift, the doors opened and I heard this wail of ‘Mum quick’! Weather had gushed out at him. The pumping station had failed and there was a couple of feet of filthy water in the basement with debris and fire extinguishers floating about.
Son tied bin liners round his legs, waded in and rescued my trusty x trail. The water was just short of the exhaust. The flashy motors belonging to the overseas students didn’t fare as well.

The hotel manager at the Lordore Falls hotel in Borrowdale was brilliant. A couple of quick questions about type of engine and gear box then clear instructions to climb into the car through the boot and put in neutral until he pushed me to shallow water before starting the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not go anywhere near water of any depth, (unless it’s a puddle) you have no idea what it is concealing, especially in an area you are unfamiliar with. There may also be issues with your insurance cover if it came out you just ‘drove through it’ and hoped for the best. Just turn around and take another route.
Fair enough but if you were driving through somewhere like Glen Coe, there is no other route. I would wait see what others did. there is always someone who will give a go.

Look in your manual. It specs 30 cm as standard max wade depth. Above that you run the risk that your air intake will take in water.

The ‘stages’ approach above is sound, depending on your van, you will first run the risk of your drive train vents taking in water (but really only if you are standing still in cold water for long enough for the drive shaft to cool down and suck in air, not really if you drive on), than your air intake, than it may hit your battery (at about 70 cm).

The air intake and exhaust of the parking heater are not a big problem as far as water is concerned: it is basically a very empty box, and water that flows in will easily flow out again. However, if there is a lot of dirt and mud, I would be cautious. But two simple corks could help you there…
Good info, thanks.

I took a Defender through standing water that was over the wheels (our feet got went) - the park ranger said turn left at the stick, while keeping it on your left, and stay as close as possible. The park was nearly empty and when we got to the crossing about an hour later, and it made total sense. :cool:

Not sure I'd take a T6.1 across anything much above the axels for fear of the electronics getting buggered - definitely not above the top of the rims ~60cm (Tires would be 72.39cm)

That being the case, seems diff breather kit probably aren't necessary and just check the diff oil if closer to 70cm crossing, and try not to stop - right?
Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 12.49.54 AM.png

For a bit on entertainment and perhaps information. Look at Rufford Ford on Youtube.

No deeper than the very bottom of the sills and definitely none of that bow wave nonsense. If you want to go deeper buy a submarine.

Watch someone else go through first. There's usually someone willing to sacrifice their vehicle for you to guage the depth properly. Why your waiting, pop the bonnet and remind yourself where the engine air intake is. However, gear box vents etc can also be compromised in deep water, so it's really not worth the risk going any deeper. Also remember, if water gets past door seals it will end up in the foot well. Apart from the carpets reeking for months, modern vehicles often have electrical fittings etc under the carpets. If they get soaked then you should expect some peculiar anomalies in the lights etc etc.

In short don't go any deeper than the bottom of the sills.

Last edited:
Got caught by flooding and would recommend @sidepod advice re aux heater. On starting our heater following a shallow wade, it sounded like a jump jet trying to take off noisy fan no heat then just stopped. After 2 further attempts got it started and just blew cold air. After leaving it running and the drive home it warmed up and work fine. I now take extra care when finding a flooded road. A good 2 hours to dry/sort out and thought I had tucked it.

Back