• Start date
J

jonclareVWGrand

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
We’re absolutely loving our new GC680. Just a few issues we need help with

- wifi router
- its not happy. I‘ve pulled the plastic cover off the rear side of the drivers seat and moved the connector from the wrong middle socket into the outside purple socket - that means the router gets some signal​
- but it still gets less than my iphone. Either the Lesswire router has a fault, or the aerial has a problem​
- I’ve spent hours on this forum and calibord.de, and can‘t find a solution​
- I can get 2G / 1Mbps when my iphone is on 10Mbps, and 8Mbps when my iphone is on 45Mbps (same SIM - switching between the router and my iphone)​
- either the router has a problem (VW warranty) or the aerial is an issue​
- I’ve seen the photo below on the german forum - does anyone know how to remove the white panel above the door to see if there is a wiring problem with the aerial? Its the square box with the purple connector and I’m wondering if the connection is a bit loose. I strongly suspect not but that will avoid a trip to the dealers if I can fix it. It seems fairly well fixed to the wall, so I’m not sure where to pull / unscrew to take it off?​
7F9D9171-3FFD-4C40-9E27-BD1E2F77B411.jpeg

-Water gauge
- despite using over half a tank of water, it still shows 100%. Not sure where the sensor is? The waste water gauge seems OK, so we are using that to judge what is in the clean water tank - if the waste is 20% full we’re guessing the clean water is 80% full​
- where is the gauge located and is there a way to unstick it?​
- there was another post on one of the forums that says maybe emptying and refilling a few times gets it working? After the 3rd refill we’re on 15% waste and 100% fresh.​
- Water tank overfill
- this is probably the main problem. When I fill the fresh water tank and excess water comes out of the external filler pipe, water comes out of the air vent on top of the water tank under the bed. The filler inlet valve is higher than the air vent on top of the tank so that is always going to happen. I’m wondering if there is a vent pipe missing?​
- on the photo below the blue vent pipe circled in red firstly fills up the circular recess in the top of the tank, and then it pees water out of the vent and down the side of the tank. First time I did this it came out of the bottom of the rear doors at the back of the van, this afternoon it ran from the tank towards the passenger seat​
- any ideas? Am I missing a vertical pipe to increase the height of the air vent valve to make it higher than the input filler? Or do I just need to be more careful and only fill to near the top? Difficult to do with a level meter that shows a c. 30% full tank as being 90% full​
1CAB7F97-159E-447A-B354-416562C43F1B.jpeg
If anyone else has had similar problems, please let me know. I’d much rather self-fix than take to a dealer.​

Pretty sure there should be a vent pipe on that outlet. I’ve not got 680 yet - on way to collect it now :)
But I did find some photos the other day of tank (on this site) and I saw two pipes exiting top of tank. I plan to fit a water filter so was examining the layout

I fitted an additional WiFi transmitter/Ariel in the other socket as recommended by Lesswire

Screenshot_20230510-084727.png

Hi its held on with Velcro and a screw: taken from a Facebook post

IMG_0499.jpeg

- wifi router
- its not happy. I‘ve pulled the plastic cover off the rear side of the drivers seat and moved the connector from the wrong middle socket into the outside purple socket - that means the router gets some signal​
- but it still gets less than my iphone. Either the Lesswire router has a fault, or the aerial has a problem​
- I can get 2G / 1Mbps when my iphone is on 10Mbps, and 8Mbps when my iphone is on 45Mbps (same SIM - switching between the router and my iphone)​
- I’ve seen the photo below on the german forum - does anyone know how to remove the white panel above the door to see if there is a wiring problem with the aerial? Its the square box with the purple connector and I’m wondering if the connection is a bit loose. I strongly suspect not but that will avoid a trip to the dealers if I can fix it. It seems fairly well fixed to the wall, so I’m not sure where to pull / unscrew to take it off?​
View attachment 108197

-Water gauge
- despite using over half a tank of water, it still shows 100%. Not sure where the sensor is? The waste water gauge seems OK, so we are using that to judge what is in the clean water tank - if the waste is 20% full we’re guessing the clean water is 80% full​
- there was another post on one of the forums that says maybe emptying and refilling a few times gets it working? After the 3rd refill we’re on 15% waste and 100% fresh.​
- Water tank overfill
- this is probably the main problem. When I fill the fresh water tank and excess water comes out of the external filler pipe, water comes out of the air vent on top of the water tank under the bed. The filler inlet valve is higher than the air vent on top of the tank so that is always going to happen. I’m wondering if there is a vent pipe missing?​
- on the photo below the blue vent pipe circled in red firstly fills up the circular recess in the top of the tank, and then it pees water out of the vent and down the side of the tank. First time I did this it came out of the bottom of the rear doors at the back of the van, this afternoon it ran from the tank towards the passenger seat​
- any ideas? Am I missing a vertical pipe to increase the height of the air vent valve to make it higher than the input filler? Or do I just need to be more careful and only fill to near the top? Difficult to do with a level meter that shows a c. 30% full tank as being 90% full​
If anyone else has had similar problems, please let me know. I’d much rather self-fix than take to a dealer.​
Hi here’s a pic of the tank

- wifi router
View attachment 108197

-Water gauge
- Water tank overfill
Hi here’s a pic of the tank

Got there eventually!
If your routers actually working it may be worth sticking with it; ours stopped working; they went through a lengthy test at the dealer and it’s been six months since the order went in for a new one!
Try unplugging the blue connector to re boot the system see if it sorts the gauge out.
Hope you can sort it.

Got there eventually!
If your routers actually working it may be worth sticking with it; ours stopped working; they went through a lengthy test at the dealer and it’s been six months since the order went in for a new one!
Try unplugging the blue connector to re boot the system see if it sorts the gauge out.
Hope you can sort it.
Yea, definitely missing that blue pipe. Will have to get a visit to the dealer planned, and make a home made version in the mean time.

Thanks for your responses on this

Yea, definitely missing that blue pipe. Will have to get a visit to the dealer planned, and make a home made version in the mean time.

It’s removing the first panel to the left that I’m struggling with. Will have another search on the forum to see if there is a guide to taking it off

Hi I am sure it’s Velcro you will need some revealing tools to release the velco.

I had exactly the same issue however after switching the antenna to the outside port it wasn’t much better.
To to prove to the dealership and evidence for VW UK I had taken 2 photos of Sky news a few seconds apart one linked via the Lesswire router and the second via hotspoting from my IPhone to my IPad Pro.
This showed the first photos a fussy photo and unreadable tickatape (via the LW router) and the second a very clear picture (Via hotspoting). A new router was installed within 2 weeks.

You can preform a soft reboot first on the LW, use a paper clip press and hold for 10 seconds. This made no difference.

Both iPhone and LW router had the same sim carrier ie Vodafone. I find Vodafone really works well across the Uk and most definitely across Spain over a 7 week period. And if it doesn’t we hotspot off the wife’s EE.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
I had exactly the same issue however after switching the antenna to the outside port it wasn’t much better.
To to prove to the dealership and evidence for VW UK I had taken 2 photos of Sky news a few seconds apart one linked via the Lesswire router and the second via hotspoting from my IPhone to my IPad Pro.
This showed the first photos a fussy photo and unreadable tickatape (via the LW router) and the second a very clear picture (Via hotspoting). A new router was installed within 2 weeks.

You can preform a soft reboot first on the LW, use a paper clip press and hold for 10 seconds. This made no difference.

Both iPhone and LW router had the same sim carrier ie Vodafone. I find Vodafone really works well across the Uk and most definitely across Spain over a 7 week period. And if it doesn’t we hotspot off the wife’s EE.

Hope that helps a little.
Yes, sounds identical to our problem. What did the dealer do to fix yours?

Just replaced the router.

Update on the router - van had a visit to to the dealers today. Wifi worked better in the middle of sheffield than more remote derbyshire. They got 20mbps vs my 1mbps. Nothing done, and I was hoping that their ‘take it off and put it back on’ would fix it - no joy.

Decided to have another look at the aerial myself to see if ’unplug and replug‘ would fix a dodgy connection. Not having any aerial on the end of the cable made that tricky - wire was just dangling connected to nothing.

I’m still loving the van but not overly impressed with VW quality control - unattached vent pipe on the water tank, one end of the router wire plugged into the wrong (middle) socket on the router, and the other end plugged into thin air!

IMG_2166.jpeg

Update on the router - van had a visit to to the dealers today. Wifi worked better in the middle of sheffield than more remote derbyshire. They got 20mbps vs my 1mbps. Nothing done, and I was hoping that their ‘take it off and put it back on’ would fix it - no joy.

Decided to have another look at the aerial myself to see if ’unplug and replug‘ would fix a dodgy connection. Not having any aerial on the end of the cable made that tricky - wire was just dangling connected to nothing.

I’m still loving the van but not overly impressed with VW quality control - unattached vent pipe on the water tank, one end of the router wire plugged into the wrong (middle) socket on the router, and the other end plugged into thin air!

View attachment 110612
Seems a common issue that they plug the router end in the wrong hole.
Well done for getting stuck in and investigating it. Satisfying but annoying at the same time.

Thats not good … should plug into an antenna thats mounted in the roof space on top of the sliding door … is that antenna fitted and the connection come loose or has the factory neglected to fit the antenna?

Thats not good … should plug into an antenna thats mounted in the roof space on top of the sliding door … is that antenna fitted and the connection come loose or has the factory neglected to fit the antenna?
I’ve had a good look and can’t find the antenna anywhere near the end of the wire. The picture earlier in the thread looks like a 600 as there is a track for the bed. I don’t know exactly where it would be mounted in the 680 and haven’t looked in the roof headliner as didn’t expect it would be there.

If anyone with a 680 or picture of a 680 knows where it should be that would be helpful. I’ve emailed the dealer but no response yet.

I noticed my router does not turn off immediately with the control panel.
It seems to have a timed delay.
I don't remember doing anything when logged into the router.

Its a small rectangle - called out as item 3 in the picture of the GC

View attachment 110619

View attachment 110620
Nothing I can find that looks like that. I’ve bought a new aerial off amazon for £9 and speed gone up form 1 to 10mbps so its now workable. I’ve not wired it in as its only a temporary solution until VW fit the proper one on the next visit to Sheffield

Just to close off this post on the router for others that read it, the circled aerial was omitted when my van was built. The wire was not connected to anything at that end. The dealer had to order and fit the aerial after I told them it was missing. {this is a photo from internet, not my photo}

IMG_0636.jpeg

Back