Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How far and how long have you been away with your California?

Nice idea. Everywhere seems so far away at the moment

I spent 10 weeks in mine in 2019. Travelled through Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, South of France, and finished in Northern Spain. Although I was by myself, I had friends fly out to visit a few times.

To say I’m desperate to repeat the experience would be an understatement!

My longest in the Cali has been 2 weeks to Portugal by road last year (yes, just that window when the restrictions eased). A few thousand miles.

Looking forward to Norway next.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

A short trip in comparison to some on here but, 3 weeks down through the Alps to the Italian Riviera and back. Mixed in hotel nights and also carried 3 mountain bikes inside the van.

9 weeks with two kids, two consecutive years (3&5 first year’ 4&6 second year) from Aberdeen as far as Montenegro. Covered Netherlands, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy ( including Sardinia), Croatia, Slovenia , brief stint in Bosnia & Montenegro. Favourite by far was Croatia.

We've done 3 months through Europe with 2 young kids. We loved it and would love to do it again, especially since we have upgraded to a T5 since then. Must admit we spend a night in a hotel twice during the 3 months. Mainly because it was more convenient to visit a particular city that way.

This is the route we took:

Netherlands
France
Luxembourg
Switzerland
Italy
Slovenia
Croatia
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Montenegro
Albania
Italy (again)
Corsica (France)
France (Mainland)
Spain
France
Belgium
Netherlands

Europe has so many beautiful countries. So much to see. We've seen quite a bit of it, but there's so much more we havn't. From the trip above, Albania and Corsica are my favourites.

Closer to home (especially for you) wild Atlantic way is a must, spent 4 (ish) weeks top to bottom.
Stunning!!!!

We do a lot of shorter trips of about a week or a long weekend all through the year, but once each year we do an approx. 5 week long trip of a few thousand km's, going 'rough' a bit: Scandinavia a few times, Iceland/Faeroer, the Alps, the Spanish Pyrenees, Italy, France. Some of these trips have been documented to some extent on this forum.
All in Europe thus far, though. We have been musing Canada/USA, but with all the Covid that may never happen, now.

We do a lot of shorter trips of about a week or a long weekend all through the year, but once each year we do an approx. 5 week long trip of a few thousand km's, going 'rough' a bit: Scandinavia a few times, Iceland/Faeroer, the Alps, the Spanish Pyrenees, Italy, France. Some of these trips have been documented to some extent on this forum.
All in Europe thus far, though. We have been musing Canada/USA, but with all the Covid that may never happen, now.
Did you hire a van in Iceland or ship your own?

Two adults.
71 consecutive nights.
Set out from Harwich to Hoek van Holland, through the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway to Lofoten Islands and return.

September 2019 when our Cali was 2 weeks old we toured Italy meeting up with some of Mrs K's family after the death of her father.

I planned the trip to try and help her with her grieving. We were away for 22 nights covering four and half thousand miles with our trip including Lake D'iseo Garda & Como then onto Venice. After Venice we drove down the Adriatic coast and inland to her fathers village which is more like a small town now Aleaf then down to Naples, Amalfi, Rome & Pisa. 5 days in Menton just over the French border then back home via Grenoble, Lyon, Troyes and then straight up the A26 to Calais. Fantastic trip, can't wait until we can do something similar.

9 weeks with two kids, two consecutive years (3&5 first year’ 4&6 second year) from Aberdeen as far as Montenegro. Covered Netherlands, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy ( including Sardinia), Croatia, Slovenia , brief stint in Bosnia & Montenegro. Favourite by far was Croatia.
Why Croatia please - planning my trips at the moment ?

Last edited:
Back