Ciki62

Ciki62

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
210 cm rear awning
b33b297d39769c78ed532e7bd02f23a0.jpg
6118b2d25f8a2d6302791dab067086db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So not standard then. How much lift and why?

If it's an SE why no water filler on the side?

Start with saying witch California you have .
It says T5 SE under your avatar , witch cleary it is not in the pics.

For me California is leisure vehicle. So higher is better for cruising around. Snow. Bad roads. Off-road....

Sorry hotel. I upgraded to T6 one month ago. I need to change my profile

Beach 4Motion?

Beach 4Motion?
with Ocean rated springs by the looks of it!

(If heavy duty roll bars are involved in the explanation I'll be looking to collect some bets from about 8 months ago.....Tommy Gun and Alison F's Calis were shown side by side, Tommy's with heavy duty roll bars was taller. We never understood why although the idea was debated and rubbished here).

If it was just springs I would be seriously concerned about the 10cm + height increase regarding the Suspension/driveshaft/wheel angles etc:
If it is a full Seikal raised Suspension kit then looks good.

Seems pretty high , any other T6 beach owners with a mesuretape...?
Is it the fact the beach is lighter than a Ocean ....
Or is it higher beeing 4motion?
Could cost you a lot more on the french tollways....

Seems pretty high , any other T6 beach owners with a mesuretape...?
Is it the fact the beach is lighter than a Ocean ....
Or is it higher beeing 4motion?
Could cost you a lot more on the french tollways....
T6 Beach and Ocean, 2WD or 4Motion are the same height, about 1997 with awning.

T6 Beach and Ocean, 2WD or 4Motion are the same height, about 1997 with awning.
I was allso under that impression , but this above has proven other than that....

with Ocean rated springs by the looks of it!

(If heavy duty roll bars are involved in the explanation I'll be looking to collect some bets from about 8 months ago.....Tommy Gun and Alison F's Calis were shown side by side, Tommy's with heavy duty roll bars was taller. We never understood why although the idea was debated and rubbished here).
Just out of interest, our first van was an Ocean with uprated anti roll bars and the highest point (at the position measured by Ciki62) was 202cm.
Replacement van is same spec apart from VW-approved -30mm lowering springs, and in the same place it measures 199cm.
Just posting here in case it's of any interest for comparisons to other Ocean/SE's.

I was allso under that impression , but this above has proven other than that....
They are the same height from the factory so @Ciki62 has raised his by some 10-13cm over the factory height. or he has got an Elephant sat on the bonnet which we cannot see.:D

Just out of interest, our first van was an Ocean with uprated anti roll bars and the highest point (at the position measured by Ciki62) was 202cm.
Replacement van is same spec apart from VW-approved -30mm lowering springs, and in the same place it measures 199cm.
Just posting here in case it's of any interest for comparisons to other Ocean/SE's.
Well my 4Motion is not lowered and measures 1997 at the same point I use 2m car parks and tunnels with no problem.

Interested to read this thread.

Our T6 Beach (DSG 4Motion) has the heavy duty roll bars (not our spec, we bought a display vehicle from the dealership). We had seen the thread mentioned on here about the extra 2cm they apparently add, with the photo of two vehicles side by side. The dealer totally poopooed this idea, but we are yet to measure properly and confirm ourselves. We tried with the tape measure but difficult to get straight/perpendicular enough to be sure it was accurate!

We do now though avoid 2.00m car parks for this reason. Going through French toll booths recently we touched the barrier, just, but got through unscathed (drove very slowly!)

Pretty sure that somewhere on here it has been proven that anti-roll bars have no effect on ride height, provided the vehicle is on level ground.

The height issue tends to confirm my thoughts on fitting air suspension to enable lowering for car parks etc.

I previously had a Discovery 4 with air suspension & could lower that when booking onto the Ferry to the lower cost limit of 1.84mtrs. With 6 or 7 crossings per year over 3 years I saved quite a bit.
Obviously a Cali won't go that low but it would give access to more parking & possibly French Toll savings.

In the very first picture, which awning is that? at first look it appears to be fitted on brackets that push it higher relative to the roof than my factory fitted one.

Also I cannot put a tape in that position on the awning & drop a straight line to the ground, the vans bodywork gets in the way so the tape would show a longer length than the true vertical measurement.

Re the gap from top of tyre to the wheel arch, my van only looks like that if I've just lowered it off the jack! if thats supposed to be standard someones fitted the wrong springs.

So I just went down to the garage and did this.

No direct line of sight from the highest point (awning at rear) down to the ground. But using a spirit level and digital measure to get around this, I get 1.999m or 2.000m over a number of readings.

FYI we have winter tyres fitted [and the heavy duty roll bars option]. Of course tyres/pressure/temperature/load could also affect this.

Still would have a hard time trusting a 2.0m height barrier though!!

c0b82d70f1b061d953cc1346e1d3dcec.jpg

Last edited:
So I just went down to the garage and did this.

No direct line of sight from the highest point (awning at rear) down to the ground. But using a spirit level and digital measure to get around this, I get 1.999m or 2.000m over a number of readings.

FYI we have winter tyres fitted. Of course tyres/pressure/temperature/load could also affect this.

Still would have a hard time trusting a 2.0m height barrier though!!

c0b82d70f1b061d953cc1346e1d3dcec.jpg
Very helpful. Think I'd need a 2.1mtr height sign to feel able to venture in.

My Ocean 150 (2017 spec) with standard set up measures 1.980m at the highest point of the awning. Part loaded. Measured with Leica disto.

I have no idea how high my Cali is.

I do know that it's lower than every 2.0m height barrier I've been under so far :shocked

Each of my measurements was taken using a spirit level to bring the height out beyond the bodywork for a direct tape line, so confident they're okay.

Back