Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How long a drive to charge the leisure battery from 11.8v to full?

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Subject says it all really. Stupidly forgot to pug the solar in so the battery has drained to about 11.8v which looking at AGM battery charge tables on line looks like about 30%. We are driving from London up to the Peaks this weekend - so perhaps 4 hours with some traffic - is that lilly to be long enough to charge things completely so we can survive off grid?

Subject says it all really. Stupidly forgot to pug the solar in so the battery has drained to about 11.8v which looking at AGM battery charge tables on line looks like about 30%. We are driving from London up to the Peaks this weekend - so perhaps 4 hours with some traffic - is that lilly to be long enough to charge things completely so we can survive off grid?
Possibly. Would be better to plug into the Mains for 24 hrs with the Fridge On if you are planning to use it whilst away.

Thanks for the quick reply. No easy access to plug in at the moment - and no hook up this weekend. Solar (100w) will give things some help but really hoping to have a decent charge from driving. It's a PITA to take the battery out to bring in to charge....

As an aside- are AGM batteries damaged by being left for a few weeks at 11.xx volts?

Thanks for the quick reply. No easy access to plug in at the moment - and no hook up this weekend. Solar (100w) will give things some help but really hoping to have a decent charge from driving. It's a PITA to take the battery out to bring in to charge....

As an aside- are AGM batteries damaged by being left for a few weeks at 11.xx volts?
I’m no expert on Batteries I’m afraid. AGM Batteries are more tolerant. It might be worth while, when you can, charging the Leisure Battery with a Smart Charger or the built in Charger.

How did the Leisure Battery drop so low? Was something plugged into a 12v Socket?

I guess that if there's traffic I can just tell myself that at least its doing the battery some good.

Battery gets slowly drained by the victron solar controller (very slow but does it in the end). I really need to fit a switch between the battery and the charger to prevent this for the winter months (or remmeber to leave the 100 panel on the dash!)

Back