Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing the leisure batteries

AlexBrown

AlexBrown

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi, I know this is covered a lot but I can not make a decision after reading 100 other posts and articles about this ...

I am thinking that my current 85ah Varta battery is daed, it drains with not a lot of use pretty much over night. With that in mind, I am looking for a direct replacement for the undersea battery in my 2007 Beach. Attached is a photo of my current one.

I have the California furniture installed, but not a 3rd battery. So I can consider putting this in at the same time. But I am unsure if I have an AGM battery right now (I presume I don't, due to the gassing valve and when I search for the product number, nothing AGM comes up. Previous posts on the same topic looks to confirm it is not AGM also.

So I guess AGM is ruled out? Also reading about the state of charge and AGM needs, I am thinking that the dedicated charger DOES NOT come on the Beach or California van?

Is this going to be a suitable replacement? https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/varta-silver-dynamic/585-200-080

Many thanks.

IMG_2827 2.JPG

AGM batteries are generally considered better in a leisure situation as they can be discharged further than a regular lead acid, without causing damage. However they do need a slightly different charging rate.

I think 2007 was not bluemotion , others may confirm for sure.

@Loz what do you think?

Yes that is now my concern regarding charge rates. I presume no VW Cali's have these unless fitted after market?

But you know what, I put AGM batteries in my DIY T4 projects and just charged them via split relay off the alternator for years. Never had a problem and always admired the performance of the batteries I was using and the functionality of the system (using just one 100ah battery).

Is an AGM specific charger really necessary??

I think it is one of those things, it will no doubt work but you may see a slightly reduced life time in the long run if the rates arent ideal. Ultimately an AGM will be far better for heavy discharge and if you regularly go below 50% capacity they are a better solution over a regular lead acid.

I am no battery expert sorry to say but we have a few electricians in here who may have a better idea.

Totally appreciate the thoughts, thanks again Matt!

Am still having trouble finding a deep cycle batt that will fit. Do you know anything about removing the battery tray under the seat to get more space? This was a nice looking option, too long for battery tray thoughhttps://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-90ah-varta-lfd-90-professional-leisure-battery-930090080/

Totally appreciate the thoughts, thanks again Matt!

Am still having trouble finding a deep cycle batt that will fit. Do you know anything about removing the battery tray under the seat to get more space? This was a nice looking option, too long for battery tray thoughhttps://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-90ah-varta-lfd-90-professional-leisure-battery-930090080/

And these AGM options

Found this in another post, may be some use.

Just been having a look at the Varta website and a few other sources to try and understand a bit more about this. Redredzimmer is correct that the AGM/gell batteries should have a different charging cycle. No idea what sort of charger VW would have fitted to a Beach (mine is 2012 and pre EHU). I would suspect a basic split charge relay from the alternator.
I have added EHU myself to the van and for keeping the leisure battery topped up while on site I use a standalone CTEK charger which has the ability to select either ‘normal’ or ‘AGM’ mode. What I don’t know is if I put an AGM or gel battery in would it be damaged by being charged in a ‘normal’ mode while driving. Seems from one site I was on (http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles ... s-agm.html) that a good quality charger / alternator will be OK for AGM but a Gell type needs a special profile or additional regulator. I would now be happy to replace the existing one with a deep cycle flooded type but an AGM or Gel needs further research & advice!

The choice of potential batteries will be restricted by the space (height) under the seat anyway. Wish I had measured the existing one when I had the passenger seat out . If there is 190mm of space there then there are options in deep cycle flooded, gell and AGM batteries. However I also saw this one http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/leisur ... e-battery/ which is for VW under seat fitting and that is only 175mm high. Seems it’s a ‘semi’ leisure battery from the conflicting description & spec. (leisure battery but in spec says deep cycle = No).
But …reading this article (http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/b ... nology.php) it suggests that we might well be better off with a normal battery anyway. The Bosch S5010 and Varta Silver 85Ah mentioned are both available in 175mm high and look strikingly similar to the one fitted to the Beach.
My brain now hurts so will stop worrying so much and enjoy the cool beers and wine from my coolbox regardless of how its powered.

Your link is exactly the same battery as in your picture, and it is not AGM.
You should go for a AGM, one of the following two (se links)(both are exactly the same battery, only different label). And you should consider to install two of those if you need more amps available.
Or (!) convert to Lithiumbatteries...

Standard battery in Ocean/Beach is apparently 305mm x 175mm x 190mm (LxWxH)

Thanks Emil, yes I had both of those links open already so feel I am on the right lines then! What are your thoughts regarding charging of AGM without dedicate charger? So, just doing it off the alternator and having the batts in parallel.

Re Matt, I measure my battery yesterday (one in photo above) and I got 310x185x190 LWH

That is even better gives you more scope for something, I think many users have used Alpha Batteries for slightly larger capacity.

What are your thoughts regarding charging of AGM without dedicate charger? So, just doing it off the alternator and having the batts in parallel.

I have many California friends that never use hook up charge (on board charger), only alternator. It will be important to drive it long enough after heavy load on batteries. I guess it will shorten the battery lifespan a bit...My self always use hook up power and the on board charger regularly. But my on board charger does not charge the starter battery, and I regularly use my engine heater (Webasto ThermoTop C) to pre heat the engine before start in the winter. I have therefore installed a simple quick connector from the starter battery to a ctek charger. You could do the same for the leisure batteries. A cheap smart charger or a Ctek one...or just rely on the alternator...

Back