Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How Long As VW Been Making Campers

Cloud Dodger

Cloud Dodger

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi,

I am trying to find the year that VW started making campers (not 3rd party conversions) factory built campers. Does anyone know \ have a definitive year?

Thanks

All Transporters are Type 2 with six generations T1 (Splits) T2 (Bays) > T6
LHD Californias really start of 2004 for sales...

Thanks WelshGas, I had read the wiki page link you posted but then read another wiki page that mentions VW T2 and it refers to T2 as camper or bus, hence my confusion.

It depends whether you mean making or selling. VW 'sold' campers actually converted by Westfalia for many years before they took production in-house for the 2004 T5.

My T4 Westy's were proper VW products, with VW warranty and VW handbooks for both the vehicle and camping sides....just the camping side was assembled elsewhere. I think it's fair to guess that Westfalia did the design but imaging there was lots of collaboration with VW.

The VW California went on sale October 2004 with RHD versions available mid 2005
Westfalia was an authorised /approved partner (basically since the 50s) so VWs from them carried the full VW warranty. Until the falling out (takeover by rival) VW used to give Westfalia exclusive acces to pre production models so they could work on interior cahnges..

Vw sold split screen Westafalia campers (SO42s) in the early sixties

yes, they were sold through VW dealerships from 50s on, though you could also order direct from factory
A Kombi with a simple camping interior was in a VW dealership info sheet in 1951...first production line kitted out VW Camper was the Westfalia Export model in 1955. Over years VW officially licensed approved companies like Devon and Dormobile .. but only in 2004 did they start to produce their own VW factory camper ..
Weirdly I am just in process of revising and updating my VW Camping Interiors book for a 3rd Edition! so all this is in my head today!

Back