Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

G

Grh

Vehicle
Looking to buy
HI and Hello

Just joined, based on the South East of England, we used to be motorhomers having had a 24ft Elnagh then a 32ft Winnebago (big mistake that one LoL) have recently started looking at pop top campers and have narrowed it down to a California which suits our needs of quick and easy weekends away and not having a 3rd vehicle and 7 year old son who is ultra excited at the concept. Very interested to see that an electric version will be out next year so I understand, we have 2 electric vehicles at the moment and the lease on one is up next year so making plans hopefully to change it for an electric California

Cheers
Gary

I wouldn’t hold your breath. The electric transporter may be here next year. Doubt the Cali will.

Electric would probably work for you if you didn't want to go far at all to camp me personally can't see this happening yet, it's just like everyone else jumping on the Electric band wagon.

my neighbours got his electric car plugged in. I asked him how far it could go and he said '80 miles' .
but to me the lead didn't look that long

Hi Gary. Don’t let this negativity and stupidity put you off. You just happen to have stumbled across the land of the diesel deity. If it doesn’t sound like a tractor..... it must be the devils business and put down at every opportunity.
The California is a truly great vehicle and if an e version had been available we would have bought one instead of the petrol we did buy. There was a lot of negativity on here too about petrol powered but mostly based on the expert testimony of a friend of a friend who happened to see a picture of one... nobody having actually driven both... we did and found it doesn’t have to smell and sound like a truck.
We’ve had no regrets whatsoever since buying and works very well as the only vehicle.
Good luck with your search and keep the more enlightened of us updated.

Reactions: Grh
I don't think this thread's replies are negative or stupid. I'd love an electric vehicle if I was commuting or only going 100 miles or so, but that's not really what the California is about (unless they have some way to eek out 1000 miles or fast re-charge). I don't think petrol has been available for some time as an option. Diesel is very refined, torquey and quiet these days, with superb mpg return (and a diesel parking heater)!
You're always going to get different views / jokes, but rarely un-helpful comments here...

Just my opinion, but I'd buy now and enjoy it!

Not negative???? Really??? Have you read the other posts about e versions? The details haven’t even released and yet the crowds gather...
I do take your point though that generally most is positive here. It’s just a shame that alternatives are dealt with in such a harsh way. Witness the T6.1 and crafter versions. The vehemence is quite surprising. I fully get most are very happy with what they have but that doesn’t mean everything else is rubbish.

Well, it will take a hell of an effort of all the campsites to upgrade their electricity above 4A. Each pitch would need at least a 150KW fast charger to fill up the e-Calif after taking it out there whole day.

And again: Good luck.

How would the heating work on electric campers. That's going to pull some kws off the batteries if not plugged in. Most electric vehicles for most people at the moment are ridiculous. Yes I'm negative. What about millions living in terraced housing. We don't all have nice drive ways and garages to charge our dildo on wheels. What about the impact of lithium and cobalt mining that's already poisoning water tables in Africa and replacing batteries at 9 grand a pop after Probably 2 year or 3 year? It works in a city with charge points but when you live in northern cities the scrotes would nick your charge cable to flog for drugs.these charge cables I believe are 400 quid a go. They even steal live 25kv rail cable up here. A ridiculous idea that lacks even basic infrastructure and logic. Are they going to have electric earth movers. Jcbs. Lorries. Ships. Tractors. Combine harvesters. Back up generators. No. Diesels here to stay. Rant over

Hydrogen is the way forward. But I like my diesel. Drove 350 miles today surveyed 6 properties couldn't do that with electric yet!!!

Well I will feel sorry for the electric drivers when I finish my 1200 km trip on one tank of diesel, and then just spend a small 10 minutes to refill my next 1200 km.

Then you will be able to deliver milk on the school run ;). P.s welcome :welcome

Image result for milk float
I used to drive one of those for my week end job (excluding the school run of course!).........ummm..............48 years ago!!!

HI and Hello

Just joined, based on the South East of England, we used to be motorhomers having had a 24ft Elnagh then a 32ft Winnebago (big mistake that one LoL) have recently started looking at pop top campers and have narrowed it down to a California which suits our needs of quick and easy weekends away and not having a 3rd vehicle and 7 year old son who is ultra excited at the concept. Very interested to see that an electric version will be out next year so I understand, we have 2 electric vehicles at the moment and the lease on one is up next year so making plans hopefully to change it for an electric California

Cheers
Gary
Hello and welcome. Electric Cali? Hmm.....we shall see.

Hi Gary. Don’t let this negativity and stupidity put you off. You just happen to have stumbled across the land of the diesel deity. If it doesn’t sound like a tractor..... it must be the devils business and put down at every opportunity.
The California is a truly great vehicle and if an e version had been available we would have bought one instead of the petrol we did buy. There was a lot of negativity on here too about petrol powered but mostly based on the expert testimony of a friend of a friend who happened to see a picture of one... nobody having actually driven both... we did and found it doesn’t have to smell and sound like a truck.
We’ve had no regrets whatsoever since buying and works very well as the only vehicle.
Good luck with your search and keep the more enlightened of us updated.
Thanks, I’m an ev convert so know how mainstream they are, I’m hoping once the E version is out the range hovers around the 200mile mark that makes it completely doable, 180miles is 2 hours driving and I’ve got to the age where the comfort break requirement kicks in way before the need for a charge lol.
We have 2 ev cars one with a real world range of 180mile the other with 300 miles

I’m keeping an eye on what is happening with an e California we can’t wait

Thanks, I’m an ev convert so know how mainstream they are, I’m hoping once the E version is out the range hovers around the 200mile mark that makes it completely doable, 180miles is 2 hours driving and I’ve got to the age where the comfort break requirement kicks in way before the need for a charge lol.
We have 2 ev cars one with a real world range of 180mile the other with 300 miles

I’m keeping an eye on what is happening with an e California we can’t wait
How do you think you will be able to charge your Cali when you did a daytrip when staying on a campsite? Are you going to sleep at the charging point? You can't keep fastcharging as the van will only be able to fastcharge 2 or 3 times in a row. Then it will take some hours to charge completely. How will this be done?
You can leave a normal car charge overnight somewhere, but you won't be able to charge your Cali in 1 night on a 4A camp site!

I’m not here to convince anyone to move to electric it’s what we have and what we want end of I’m not getting into the debate of comparing the environmental impact effect of mining lithium against extracting oil and refining it and then burning it in vehicles I’ve read what I need to read for my own satisfaction I just want to hopefully buy an electric California and enjoy it

Thanks for the welcomes

How do you think you will be able to charge your Cali when you did a daytrip when staying on a campsite? Are you going to sleep at the charging point? You can't keep fastcharging as the van will only be able to fastcharge 2 or 3 times in a row. Then it will take some hours to charge completely. How will this be done?
You can leave a normal car charge overnight somewhere, but you won't be able to charge your Cali in 1 night on a 4A camp site!

How would the heating work on electric campers. That's going to pull some kws off the batteries if not plugged in. Most electric vehicles for most people at the moment are ridiculous. Yes I'm negative. What about millions living in terraced housing. We don't all have nice drive ways and garages to charge our dildo on wheels. What about the impact of lithium and cobalt mining that's already poisoning water tables in Africa and replacing batteries at 9 grand a pop after Probably 2 year or 3 year? It works in a city with charge points but when you live in northern cities the scrotes would nick your charge cable to flog for drugs.these charge cables I believe are 400 quid a go. They even steal live 25kv rail cable up here. A ridiculous idea that lacks even basic infrastructure and logic. Are they going to have electric earth movers. Jcbs. Lorries. Ships. Tractors. Combine harvesters. Back up generators. No. Diesels here to stay. Rant over
♂️

We head off almost every Friday afternoon for a 1 night stopover, within 1-2 hours radius of our home, usually a Britstop, pubstop or CL, return home Sat afternoon. We see parts of our local areas we usually whizz past.
I think an electric Cali would be ideal for that sort of use. I can see you visiting local seaside day outs or short hops over to France for a night or two...