Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much oil to add

mehandforth

mehandforth

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi, the yellow warning light came on for oil and I checked but couldn't really tell if it was low. I added about half a litre and am worried about adding too much. It's very hard on the dipstick to see the level. The dealer told me that the van uses very little oil and won't need a service for first 2 years or 40k kilometres (I'm in spain). Van is 1 year old with 18k km (12k miles). I've never added oil before as you can tell by the message. Attached some photos.
Really amateur question I know so apologies in advance. Thanks for your help :)

C98003FA-998D-4760-999E-3B1ECB0DE097.jpeg

E737AE5E-7FE3-486F-8B91-A9F6DA0F2CD5.jpeg

Half a litre won’t show on the stick if you light has come on it’s really low. Put 2 litres in and you will see it rise. Top up to the level as required after that.

Hold it!

Put in half a liter at a time. If you put in too much, you will need to drain the overfill.
If it shows on the bottom of the marker (just above the round tip), it will be approximately 1 liter to add.
Don't buy a 5 liter can and dump it all in at once. Little by little. Once it is halfway or above, you are good to go.

Hold it!

Put in half a liter at a time. If you put in too much, you will need to drain the overfill.
If it shows on the bottom of the marker (just above the round tip), it will be approximately 1 liter to add.
Don't buy a 5 liter can and dump it all in at once. Little by little. Once it is halfway or above, you are good to go.
Wise words triple bee but if there is nothing showing on the dipstick then
it may take 2 litres to show.
Mine takes 7.4 litres or 7.495. but that is a 2.5ltr big boy
not sure how much the 2.0ltr engine takes.

Well, mine is a modified Audi 2.0 liter engine, but it also takes 7,5 liters of gold plated longlife oil. 504/507.00
The Audi's only take about 5 liters.
I will never just put in 2 liters and then check. Only if nothing shows, you can put in 1 liter, but then check the stick.
I only need to put in about 0,5 liters of oil in between services (2 year longlife service), so I don't really worry too much about oil consumption. I don't have the 180hp, so I am lucky it didn't affect the 140hp engines.

Hi, the yellow warning light came on for oil and I checked but couldn't really tell if it was low. I added about half a litre and am worried about adding too much. It's very hard on the dipstick to see the level. The dealer told me that the van uses very little oil and won't need a service for first 2 years or 40k kilometres (I'm in spain). Van is 1 year old with 18k km (12k miles). I've never added oil before as you can tell by the message. Attached some photos.
Really amateur question I know so apologies in advance. Thanks for your help :)

View attachment 49585

View attachment 49586
The Cross-Hatched section is 1 Litre from Bottom to Top. So, in your case as the Oil Level is not showing Put in 1/2 L and repeat until level is showing on the Cross-Hatched section. Wait at least 20-30 minutes between each 1/2 L to allow the oil to drain into the Sump before re-checking Level.

Although you have a Low Oil warning system, as has been said above, it should be checked on a regular basis because the level really shouldn't go outside the Cross-Hatched section on the dip-stick.

Just to add to @WelshGas post.....
It's important to have the engine warmed up before checking.

Whilst more oil drains into the sump when stood overnight, oil expands so its possible that you'll see more oil on the dipstick with the engine at operating temperature than when cold and settled hence there is a potential to overfill.
Overfilling can be a real problem too.
PS @mehandforth
As you say its an amateur question, don't forget to get the vehicle as level as possible as well.

Only fill to 1/2 to 3/4 up the dipstick marker section then daily check as it shouldn't have gone down to warning level.

Rather than warming up the engine oil then waiting for it to drain back down before checking (seems modern synthetic oils expand with heat more than traditional mineral ones) simply check your oil level about 15 to 20 minutes after completing a journey. Saves fuel and pollution.

Last edited:
Agree with @jts46 a weekly check of all fluid levels. Its part of a routine.

Back