Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Pump Replacement on Grand California (on the road repair)

F

far.landscape

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Of course, my Grand California GC 600 chose New Year’s Day on the Isle of Harris for the water pump to break.

Thankfully, I had a spare on board (ordered from link below), and enough tools to make a swap.

The new pump works perfectly.

For anyone interested in being similarly able to carry out an on the road repair in case the same happens to you, here’s how I did it (should be the same on a 680 but don’t know for sure)…

1) Use pliers to slacken the c clip at the left end of the short white pipe and slide the pipe off the yellow t connector (keep kitchen towel on hand to mop up and after electrically isolating the pump, open the kitchen tap and place the bathroom shower hose on the tray floor and open tap to reduce pressure). Use flat bladed screwdriver to lever the electrical connector off its mount. (Pic shows cable splice after repair)

7fde69b824b8aa1e24fd56d957cefd29.jpg

2) this will give you enough slack to take the pump out (the blue overflow pipe can stay connected). Cover the open hole with something to avoid anything falling into the tank (I used a plate and tea towel)

86f7ca54392c8727218400b5178c1b3d.jpg

3) remove the grey c clip under the push fit connector then squeeze together which will allow you to slide off the connector. I then cut the power cable near the black electric clip end as the wire was soldered on to the black connector. That then allows you to remove the old pump.

2c64a4232f572b0d278ff241aa5dc306.jpg

4) amuse yourself at the evident damage of the old pump…

00acfc93624ee8d5777574440fb34f98.jpg

5) make sure you have a new one of these on hand…

28547ec3e105e5ae8d5f9d43a5860b23.jpg

6) splice cable together (would have been better if I had a proper connector block on hand, but some diligent electrical taping and spiral splicing has done the job and should stay together). Refit the pump (don’t forget the grey c clip on the push fit water connector, and pull to engage the teeth), refit the electrical connector (close taps first if you opened them). Add supporting tape to stop cable wobble which might affect the splice.

58e8b687d8be48644c8a8cf55d52cf27.jpg

7) Go back to admiring the view …

58e83bdc678934743769b6fb9d584458.jpg

Link to order a spare (I just ordered another so I have another on board in future)…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013DVW0A/?tag=eliteelect-21

Of course, my Grand California GC 600 chose New Year’s Day on the Isle of Harris for the water pump to break.

Thankfully, I had a spare on board (ordered from link below), and enough tools to make a swap.

The new pump works perfectly.

For anyone interested in being similarly able to carry out an on the road repair in case the same happens to you, here’s how I did it (should be the same on a 680 but don’t know for sure)…

1) Use pliers to slacken the c clip at the left end of the short white pipe and slide the pipe off the yellow t connector (keep kitchen towel on hand to mop up and after electrically isolating the pump, open the kitchen tap and place the bathroom shower hose on the tray floor and open tap to reduce pressure). Use flat bladed screwdriver to lever the electrical connector off its mount. (Pic shows cable splice after repair)

7fde69b824b8aa1e24fd56d957cefd29.jpg

2) this will give you enough slack to take the pump out (the blue overflow pipe can stay connected). Cover the open hole with something to avoid anything falling into the tank (I used a plate and tea towel)

86f7ca54392c8727218400b5178c1b3d.jpg

3) remove the grey c clip under the push fit connector then squeeze together which will allow you to slide off the connector. I then cut the power cable near the black electric clip end as the wire was soldered on to the black connector. That then allows you to remove the old pump.

2c64a4232f572b0d278ff241aa5dc306.jpg

4) amuse yourself at the evident damage of the old pump…

00acfc93624ee8d5777574440fb34f98.jpg

5) make sure you have a new one of these on hand…

28547ec3e105e5ae8d5f9d43a5860b23.jpg

6) splice cable together (would have been better if I had a proper connector block on hand, but some diligent electrical taping and spiral splicing has done the job and should stay together). Refit the pump (don’t forget the grey c clip on the push fit water connector, and pull to engage the teeth), refit the electrical connector (close taps first if you opened them). Add supporting tape to stop cable wobble which might affect the splice.

58e8b687d8be48644c8a8cf55d52cf27.jpg

7) Go back to admiring the view …

58e83bdc678934743769b6fb9d584458.jpg

Link to order a spare (I just ordered another so I have another on board in future)…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013DVW0A/?tag=eliteelect-21
Well done and thank you for sharing. Just awaiting my turn. I have the spares apart from the electrical connector block. Any ideas where one can be purchased.

Thanks for the update. Like yourself I carry the exact same spare pump but haven’t needed it yet. It’s good to hear all works as planned and avoids a crises If away on a trip.

Thanks for a great summary of your problem and the illustrated solution - I ordered a pump today, dropped to £37 on Amazon so little cost for big peace of mind. All we need now is our GC - it started its build this week (apparently)…. Oh, and the connectors.
Thanks again.

An update regarding getting a replacement pump. I ordered a replacement to have just "in case" from the Amazon link above. It arrived with all the correct numbers... But! It will not fit the GC. The pump that arrived has a step 10mm to 12mm water outlet, rather than the required smooth 12mm outlet. I tried it in the van to see if it would work, but there is not enough length of outlet at 12mm to allow the GC connector to fit. I got a reply from the Amazon supplier to say that is the only version they have, so I am returning it to Germany. Annoying but much better finding out now rather than stuck somewhere.
I have checked and I have ordered another from Brownhills:
I'll update if there is an issue, but I think it should be ok, as their pic shows it with a Reich connector already fitted, so then ours should fit too!
Pic shows replacement pump on the left, the GC pump on the right.
If anyone has bought a spare similar to the one on the left, it will not fit your GC.

Pump.jpg

An update regarding getting a replacement pump. I ordered a replacement to have just "in case" from the Amazon link above. It arrived with all the correct numbers... But! It will not fit the GC. The pump that arrived has a step 10mm to 12mm water outlet, rather than the required smooth 12mm outlet. I tried it in the van to see if it would work, but there is not enough length of outlet at 12mm to allow the GC connector to fit. I got a reply from the Amazon supplier to say that is the only version they have, so I am returning it to Germany. Annoying but much better finding out now rather than stuck somewhere.
I have checked and I have ordered another from Brownhills:
I'll update if there is an issue, but I think it should be ok, as their pic shows it with a Reich connector already fitted, so then ours should fit too!
Pic shows replacement pump on the left, the GC pump on the right.
If anyone has bought a spare similar to the one on the left, it will not fit your GC.

View attachment 118282
Thanks for sharing. That’s annoying as they share identical part number/description info.

I have this one in my Amazon basket, looks like the correct one?

Reich Pump, Water-Resistant, HL, 19 Litres, 1.1 Bar https://amzn.eu/d/hXh2VgA
Sorry to say that is the same one I ordered! I am not sure what will arrive, but as mentioned above, if the outlet is stepped 12mm to 10mm it will not fit your GC. If it arrives with a 12mm outlet, then no probs.
Mine is ready to send back tomorrow for refund.

Sorry to say that is the same one I ordered! I am not sure what will arrive, but as mentioned above, if the outlet is stepped 12mm to 10mm it will not fit your GC. If it arrives with a 12mm outlet, then no probs.
Thanks. I’ve no plan to order one just had it in case I ever needed one, so good to know the pictures don’t represent what is actually supplied, thanks you!

I've ordered this one, it looks odd as it has the Reich fitting on it, but pull out the C clip discard the fitting, and connect to the van fitting and with luck all should be good.

Like many others I’ve gone thru the pain of ordering a spare pump twice and receiving the incorrect one. Strangely one of them was from Brownhills but clearly not the Hymer designated one that Don has received above which is the correct one. I ended up going to VW and ordering one from them. I got a bit of a surprise when I saw the size of the box. Here is a pic of what I received and the part no. Glad to say the pump is correct and the good news was it was £41 which almost seemed reasonable. I cut off the pump electrical connector and removed the pump to allow easy storage . I can’t foresee ever needing the other parts.

IMG_4297.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

It does seem amazing that you get the full pump installation cheaper from VW than just the replacement pump from other suppliers! Good to know! Cheers!

Phew - checked the spare pump I bought last year and it’s the correct 12mm one

Back