Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I wanted Mabel - he wanted Winston - but it's Megerty!!

Philynn

Philynn

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi there! We collected our lovely natural grey cali yesterday and took off with our two cali dogs to the coast for the afternoon. Lovely first trip out although scuppered because we couldn’t get to some of the coastal car parks due to the height restricting barriers. Pouring with rain today so we just sat in the van on the driveway working out what everything did. One thing that’s perplexing us is that we can’t get the bike rack off. We haven’t got bikes just yet so we thought we might as well take it off until we do – but it doesn’t want to budge?? Cali name? Megerty - after our treasured Labradors Meg and Gerty. Thanks to everyone for all the brilliant advice on here – great to be part of it. 20150725_181451.jpg

Well, a lovely warm granny welcome from me and a terribly stiff and formal "welcome Megerty" from Albert...

To remove the bike rack lift the tailgate and look under the corners where the bike rack fits and you will see a screw loosen it both sides
You dont need to undo altogether once loose
Lift the rack clear. Unless it has security screws and then you will need a key

Thanks calikev- we'd loosened both corners but it wouldn't lift. Where would the security screws be if it had them?

Welcome and congrats with your Cali!
Just sitting in it even on the drive feels a bit like vacation.
Mine sits in my garage most of the times as it is not our daily driver , sometimes i just crawl in it and spent some time on the backseat wondering arround...nice feeling!

If you have loosened it at the bottom you don't have security screws
It is probably stuck to the protectors at the top.

As kev says it sticks to the protectors, this can happen even after a short period of time, you just need to give it a good whack.

I think it must be stuck to the protectors at the bottom - the screws are loose but it won't lift. The dealer told us if you ever have to force something on a cali you're doing it wrong - so we're terrified of forcing it!

I have to do this all the time with my hire vans, even if it has only been on for just a weekend it will need quite a bit of force to remove it, a good whack with your fist will do it.

Thank you quick yank and it's off! Now nervous about peeling off the protector. Looks grubby and yellow but will it leave a mark if we peel it off? Sorry - this should probably be on the beginners thread.....

You can peel it off and clean the residue with white spirit then buy a new set from our well stocked forum shop

Thank you. This forum gave us the confidence to buy our cali - we know whatever problems we encounter (hopefully few!) There'll always be someone with a helpful reply. Thanks again guys

Hi Philynn and Megerty! Great to name your Cali! Mine is also always ready to go packed in the garage and i often just look for excuses to visit my bus (not named yet) and sit in it like a second living room-1room flatHave fun and welcome!

Hi Phylinn, like your new van :thumb

There's not many height barriers we haven't been able to get under, maybe the bike rack adds to the height?

Hi motacyclist - thankyou

The height of the barriers was 1950. I quickly got the manual out and found we had a height of 1995. Could have been a disastrous first trip! Found one further up the coast with no barrier. Living in nottingham we couldn't be further from the sea. The aim was to sit by a beach and watch the sun go down - still - we've got plenty of time to find that perfect view......