Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ice in a California

We normally tow a small caravan fitted with a selection of hot and cold drinks built into a bar area. We then employ a bar person to travel with us on our trips to serve us daily. It really works ;):D:D:D

Catch up report
We have managed to get some ice trays from the local Intermarche , my French is not up to explaining about the ice bags. Sadly the trays do not work very well, due to gravity they must be kept flat (that Newton was a pain) so the output is very intermittent very few ice blocks
We have been offered a kilogram of ice blocks but we can’t keep up with the drinking needed use them up before melting. Even my idea of putting them in the frig & move some of the contents on the floor to make room has been vetoed!
However, those of you waiting to go to France it was 31.5c yesterday so your sympathy at the need to keep our drinks cold is much appreciated !
The search for ice bags continuex, I have been told Wilkinson’s do them but that’s in the UK

Catch up report
We have managed to get some ice trays from the local Intermarche , my French is not up to explaining about the ice bags. Sadly the trays do not work very well, due to gravity they must be kept flat (that Newton was a pain) so the output is very intermittent very few ice blocks
We have been offered a kilogram of ice blocks but we can’t keep up with the drinking needed use them up before melting. Even my idea of putting them in the frig & move some of the contents on the floor to make room has been vetoed!
However, those of you waiting to go to France it was 31.5c yesterday so your sympathy at the need to keep our drinks cold is much appreciated !
The search for ice bags continuex, I have been told Wilkinson’s do them but that’s in the UK
In France they call that
"sacs à glacons' or
"sachets à glacons" or better
"sacs en plastique pour faire des glacons".

Sorry forgot, 34C today, thunderstorms due and the need for ice for G&T’s continues!

Further catch-up report.
Thinhgs have been getting desperate as the temperature keeps rising, 35.5C today and a huge thunderstorm, lightens& rain the other night. We have now located & invested in Ice bags which have worked well for both G&Ts & in white wine for Mrs DofH. Happiness has returned to our home on wheels so many thanks to all!

Old solution this one.
Clipboard at the back of the fridge with ice bag.
View attachment 94778View attachment 94779
This is so much better than trying to get what seems to be a living, struggling, water bag to stay against the back of the frig. If we weren’t off home on Tuesday I would be scouring stationery shops in Tournon for clipboards but we will manage until then! Also it was 38c yesterday with 40 mpg wind gusts so, for some reason, today's cycling plan has been vetoed by Mrs DoH. Great idea for the next time (the clip board I mean!)

Try putting a bag of plastic ice cubes in the basket close to the back wall of the fridge. Cold drinks, but not diluted by melting ice :cool:

Get your butler to walk to the nearest bar-tabac with an empty wide necked flask. Tell him he can have ONE pastis only while he's there, to compensate the bar owner for filling the flask with ice.

Really, all these all travel skills have been lost haven't they?

Ice Bags and our set up.
We have tried numerous brands of Ice Bags from all sorts of cheap brands and supermarket brands.
These https://amzn.to/3zJlEkG in our opinion seem to work best and the easiest to get the ice out and also fill with water easily. Some of the other bags don't come apart and release the ice without breaking the bag. They are a tiny bit more expensive but come on special now and then but the stress level and waste is much less :)
The trick with these Ice bags is read the instructions it will tell you to pull sideways on the bag till all the little separations break and then you have one bag of Ice.

The aluminium clip board we use is this one https://amzn.to/3b6YZo1

We save one batch of ice into one of these https://amzn.to/3zODNgQ and then get another batch on the go. We have a pair of cheap ice tongs when we are being posh or having guests.

G&T without Ice is simply not acceptable ;-)
20211124_170307-jpg.94888

20211124_170307.jpg

Last edited:
Where do you store the Gin?
Gin is In the fridge with the tonic & ice. However, although we have moved 200 miles further north today the temperature is still 34c here at Saint Amand Montrond, (the centre of France no less) . Ice packs are working well although I have not checked since the journey today. Sadly I have just been told that one of the two plastic ‘gin’ glasses has been dropped and broken. Just shows the benefits of carrying a spare. ( I must explain to Mrs DoH how precious these glasses are). If driven to it I could drink it out of a mug but it’s a bit, well not Royal Navy if you understand……

Gin is In the fridge with the tonic & ice. However, although we have moved 200 miles further north today the temperature is still 34c here at Saint Amand Montrond, (the centre of France no less) . Ice packs are working well although I have not checked since the journey today. Sadly I have just been told that one of the two plastic ‘gin’ glasses has been dropped and broken. Just shows the benefits of carrying a spare. ( I must explain to Mrs DoH how precious these glasses are). If driven to it I could drink it out of a mug but it’s a bit, well not Royal Navy if you understand……
You need these, then the ice will last for longer than the drink. A plastic cup results in dliuted gin as your ice melts too quickly...

Or one of these if you are on a long walk!:

Last edited:
Where do you store the Gin?
Further to this important subject I have just been served a very generous gin and ice plus a bottle of tonic, possibly in compensation for the broken glass.. I just hope that it does not lead to the balance difficulties I mentioned before when we take our evening walk to explore
You need these, then the ice will last for longer than the drink. A plastic cup results in dliuted gin as your ice melts too quickly...

the town she is always keen to do

Further to this important subject I have just been served a very generous gin and ice plus a bottle of tonic, possibly in compensation for the broken glass.. I just hope that it does not lead to the balance difficulties I mentioned before when we take our evening walk to explore

the town she is always keen to do
Thank you. I had noticed this. Will investigate. We do have insulated mugs at home but they are pints…… on the other hand if it keeps the ice from melting…..

I suppose it depends how long you take imbibing your G& T

Back