Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Idiot guide to van pimping?

Carrot

Carrot

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Evening all,

Mr Carrot has recently been muttering about lowering and side bars and bigger wheels... Ostensibly to avoid motion sickness and dings to the sills, but mostly for the bling.

We are a bit clueless about how one would go about this, or whether it would count as a 'modification' that would upset the insurers.

I've read through some of the forum, even figured out how to search (rotate iPhone to landscape and a whole new world appears!), but it is all still a bit confusing as I don't know the right questions to ask.

Could anyone kindly point me in the direction of an idiot's guide to these kinds of things? Or talk slowly in short words to me about what kind of garage does these things and if there are good reasons not to do them?

Ta muchly!

If you want accurate information then you must talk to your own insurance company, no well informed opinions on a forum will be of any use if you have a claim refused.

You can lower by various amounts, put various sizes of wheels on and fit side bars but as snowy says it pays to speak to your insurers as premiums may rise. All these mods are usually available at third party businesses and depends how far you want to go, I suggest buying a few T5 magazines in the shops as they are full of what you are after. Also T5 forum on Facebook has lots of members who modify their vans. :thumb

Thanks guys. Will def talk to insurers before doing anything, but just at the stage of researching and gathering info at the mo. Assuming Kwikfit isn't the place to go and don't want to walk into a garage and look like a muppet!

I had no idea you could buy a magazine about a type of van, so this is all good stuff. Will check out the T5 forum too.

I read some of the threads in the wheels section but got lost with all the numbers and discussion of whether the spare would fit etc. All very new to me!

Evening all,

Mr Carrot has recently been muttering about lowering and side bars and bigger wheels... Ostensibly to avoid motion sickness and dings to the sills, but mostly for the bling.

We are a bit clueless about how one would go about this, or whether it would count as a 'modification' that would upset the insurers.

I've read through some of the forum, even figured out how to search (rotate iPhone to landscape and a whole new world appears!), but it is all still a bit confusing as I don't know the right questions to ask.

Could anyone kindly point me in the direction of an idiot's guide to these kinds of things? Or talk slowly in short words to me about what kind of garage does these things and if there are good reasons not to do them?

Ta muchly!
Fitting of side bars, which VW have as an accessory, will normally be allowed by mainstream Insurance companies but they should be informed and they may require an increase in premium.
Suspension modifications are a different matter. VW do offer certified lowered springs and alternative wheels, which can be expensive but as they are VW accessories may well be accepted by mainstream Insurers who may insist on them being fitted by VW and probably a premium increase.
Non-VW suspension lowering kits and wheels are available and may be cheaper but may not be accepted by main stream Insurers. They will be accepted by other companies, but not ones that I would deal with.
VW spend a lot of money on R&D and you will find that you might not end up improving the ride of your vehicle, in fact quite the opposite.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

Thanks for the info and that link, will have a read.

Just spent a bit of time perusing the T4 forum and WOW! Spoilers, splitters, face lifts, massive wheels, lowered to the ground... I had something more modest in mind. Might just get some stickers for it!

Reactions: DM
Have a set of side bars in the garage. Managed to buy the "OEM" ebay ones, which are highly recommended on here, for an eBay special 20% off.

I'm so so on them however it will be great to tie my "mad as a hatter:headbang" 11 month old Boxer dog too (when camped!) and will give us a much needed rest. Well worth the £100.

I feel more comfortable knowing that VW actually offer the bars and lowering. I wouldn't be confident to buy anything like this off eBay!

The side bars are around £570 from VW including fitting if memory serves me right. 64mm stainless steel tube with brackets bolted to the Cali or Transporter. Bawny are a little cheaper for genuine bars but are not VW.

Quote from a previous post.

Original equipment, or genuine style stainless steel side bars for the VW T5 Transporter SWB.

These side bars are full, hand polished stainless steel and have the curves at the end. They fit flush to the side of the T5's/ Transporter's sills and are the quickest and most cost effective 'Sportline' upgrade option.

The T5/ Transporter OE side bars are identical to the genuine part by VW (ZGB7H0071687 part number from VW) and are manufactured by a genuine OE supplier (so have a top level specification). Even the brackets and bolts used are identical to the genuine VW bars. The stainless steel used is SUS 304 grade, they are built to last.

The side bars will fit all years of the VW T5 and Transporter. They will even fit all the years of the bus and Caravelle models. They will only fit the short wheel base models and have a 'hand polished, bright silver, mirror' finish.

Sadly I don't feel comfortable with VW. I could list many issues. I also had an Audi (never again)

I feel more comfortable knowing that VW actually offer the bars and lowering. I wouldn't be confident to buy anything like this off eBay!
The side bars are quite easy to fit if you are handy with tools, suspension I would advise going to someone who is reputable in this field, don't bother fitting yourself. Not sure where you are but Merseyspeed in St.Helens Lancs fit lowering kits all week long, offer different heights, makes etc and will show you the correct ones needed for your T5 Cali etc due to weight differences. Very reasonable too and have a good name. I have no connection to them btw. They can also advise on wheels sizes to give you the best combo between pimping the van a bit and safety/ quality of ride etc.

Last edited:
I bought my sidebars from eBay 5 years ago for £150 even a VW dealer that fits them couldn't tell the difference. I also fitted them myself in the drive with no special tools. I did get VW to fit the lowering springs and alloy wheels comfort insurance were happy and didn't increase my premium.

All useful views, thank you. I'm in the southwest but have relatives near St Helens actually, so good to know about some reputable outfits.

@Calikev do you notice that lowering makes a difference to the way it drives and do you have to deal with speed bumps/lumpy fields differently?

Also, out of interest, why would the insurance premium rise? More likely to get stolen or more expensive to fix in the event of a claim?

What is 'wallowing'? Like being in a boat, slow to respond to steering?

I've just had lowering springs fitted to my new T6, it's made an enormous difference to the handling and has cured the motion sickness we were all feeling in the Cali. The big downside is that we have lost up to 40mm of clearance, (the springs are supposed to lower by 25mm but the garage tell me when they measure it it is normally more like 40mm).

I had mine done at the local VW van centre in Shrewsbury, they couldn't have been more helpful and went to a lot of trouble to check that the springs are now rated for the T6. I told my insurance company (Direct Line) and they wanted to know why I was lowering the van, on hearing that it was to stop our collie feeling sick in the back they waived the normal £28 fee for registering a modification to the vehicle. The fact that the mod was VW approved and fitted by a VW dealer made a big difference and I am not sure if they would cover non VW fittings.

Interesting to hear an anecdote about motion sickness, thanks. My 6 year old got car sick on long journeys in our Focus and she has to travel with a bowl normally! We've not done enough miles in the Cali yet to know if she's effected.

I never heard of a travel sick dog before, poor thing!

Dur, can't believe I didn't think to look on the VW van centre website before getting lost in the morass of third party options - it's all there! Now, sportline or Dakar alloys??? ;) (joke)

I bought my sidebars from eBay 5 years ago for £150 even a VW dealer that fits them couldn't tell the difference. I also fitted them myself in the drive with no special tools. I did get VW to fit the lowering springs and alloy wheels comfort insurance were happy and didn't increase my premium.

These are the people Calikev got his bars from. The company name has changed since Kev got his but the product is the same. We have had two sets of these bars and they are indistinguishable to the VW ones at a fraction of the cost. Very easy to fit, about 45/60 mins per side.
Quite a few people have now fitted these bars without any problems.
Save a few hundred quid over the VW ones and get some more goodies.:)
Contact Lisa who is very helpful.
: lisa@autobrandsgroup.co.uk

Weirdly I have had wallowy cars in my time and I would have never described my beach as wallowy, for a van it actually handles surprisingly well.

I have 'personalised' my van with the following and my insurance went up by £20 per annum (which I am guessing is the admin fee):
  • Chrome to lower front grill
  • Black Maxton Design front splitter
  • Black sidebars
  • H & R Sport Springs (approx. 40mm lower)
  • Colour matched Rear spoiler
  • Limo tint to 5 rear windows
  • Tinted front side windows
  • Tinted front side window Wind deflectors
  • Black Rear Bumper protection strip
  • Rear light tinting including high level brake light
  • Side indicator tinting
  • Front lights Covex tinted including low level fog lights
  • B Pillars wrapped in black gloss
  • Wing mirrors wrapped in black gloss
  • 17” bi-colour cascavel alloys
I totally concur with the comments on lowering - my van feels so much better to drive now. Cornering is so much tighter and the kids aren't complaining about feeling car sick anymore.

Do you tell your insurance about all those things?

I've never really considered what is meant by 'modification' but I guess it is a pretty broad term.

Yes, I thought better to be safe than sorry. They didn't care about most of the things and if I remember correctly they were only really interested in taking note of the sidebars, alloys, front splitter and springs.

Last edited:
Good to know. I have a £25 admin fee for any changes, so I guess maybe better to tell them about everything at the same time.

image.jpeg Dumb question- how can you tell how big your wheels are? I measured the rims at 17" across, but the tyres have 16 written on them. Not sure if you can see from this photo.

Back