Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Idiot guide to van pimping?

Those are 16 inch miyato alloys. You are right. The wheel size is the last set of numbers on the tyre. Example. 205 - 60 - 16

Car / Motion Sickness is caused by a mismatch between what your Eyes tell you is happening and what your Inner Ear Balancing Sensors are telling you.
So your reading a book or watching a screen - Yours eyes tell you that you are still but if you are in a vehicle on a bendy road, accelerating or braking, on a rough road then your Inner Ear is telling you that you are moving. The brain, in susceptible people, cannot sort out these 2 inputs.
Looking out of the window, not reading or using an iPad or Phone when moving, Chewing gum or sucking boiled sweets can all help to ameliorate the effects, and lastly Travel Sickness tablets can be very effective to desensitise you such that you get to the point that you cease being affected and can do without.

Car / Motion Sickness is caused by a mismatch between what your Eyes tell you is happening and what your Inner Ear Balancing Sensors are telling you.
So your reading a book or watching a screen - Yours eyes tell you that you are still but if you are in a vehicle on a bendy road, accelerating or braking, on a rough road then your Inner Ear is telling you that you are moving. The brain, in susceptible people, cannot sort out these 2 inputs.
Looking out of the window, not reading or using an iPad or Phone when moving, Chewing gum or sucking boiled sweets can all help to ameliorate the effects, and lastly Travel Sickness tablets can be very effective to desensitise you such that you get to the point that you cease being affected and can do without.

I told my Mother in law that the best way to alleviate motion sickness was to clench teeth and don't talk.

Sadly it appears that she is quite content with feeling the effects of motion sickness.:sad

The official lowering springs from VW make a huge difference on the California, we did ours as soon as it arrived, also now upgraded the rear anti roll bar, another official VW extra, and can now go around roundabouts without lifting off the throttle :eek:

Go on do it, then your kids can continue to watch iPads in the back :veryfunny

Lol, 3 hour drive without the iPad... There's only so much I Spy I can take!

The official lowering springs from VW make a huge difference on the California, we did ours as soon as it arrived, also now upgraded the rear anti roll bar, another official VW extra, and can now go around roundabouts without lifting off the throttle :eek:

Can do that anyway.:thumb

I've tried to get a price to upgrade the roll bar but been told by two dealers that it isn't practical to retrofit the heavy duty roll bar on a T6. Did you get the work done at a VW centre?

I've tried to get a price to upgrade the roll bar but been told by two dealers that it isn't practical to retrofit the heavy duty roll bar on a T6. Did you get the work done at a VW centre?

Hi, yes I had it done at Breeze VW in Poole. I have the T5 so whether that makes any difference. Infact I was sure there was an option for the roll bar upgrade in the T6 Cali price list ..

I think it was about £120 for the roll bar and an hour to fit ...

Hi, yes I had it done at Breeze VW in Poole. I have the T5 so whether that makes any difference. Infact I was sure there was an option for the roll bar upgrade in the T6 Cali price list ..

I think it was about £120 for the roll bar and an hour to fit ...

Thanks, I would have tried the roll bar mod before lowering if I'd had the option, especially at £120 compared to the £440 for springs. Perhaps it's different for the T6 and if I wait a few months it may become available.

I bought my sidebars from eBay 5 years ago for £150 even a VW dealer that fits them couldn't tell the difference. I also fitted them myself in the drive with no special tools. I did get VW to fit the lowering springs and alloy wheels comfort insurance were happy and didn't increase my premium.

How exactly are they fitted? Is it just bolts or do you have to drill the van?

No Matt the holes are all ready there you just need to trim a very small piece of the plastic undertray. It took me about an hour to fit all in

I've just had lowering springs fitted to my new T6, it's made an enormous difference to the handling and has cured the motion sickness we were all feeling in the Cali. The big downside is that we have lost up to 40mm of clearance, (the springs are supposed to lower by 25mm but the garage tell me when they measure it it is normally more like 40mm).

I had mine done at the local VW van centre in Shrewsbury, they couldn't have been more helpful and went to a lot of trouble to check that the springs are now rated for the T6. I told my insurance company (Direct Line) and they wanted to know why I was lowering the van, on hearing that it was to stop our collie feeling sick in the back they waived the normal £28 fee for registering a modification to the vehicle. The fact that the mod was VW approved and fitted by a VW dealer made a big difference and I am not sure if they would cover non VW fittings.
which make and type of springs did you have fitted? there seems to be a few options available. I have the heavy duty anti roll bar fitted (option available at the time of ordering), I dont know why the option was withdrawn but a decent dealer should be able to find out from VW.

How exactly are they fitted? Is it just bolts or do you have to drill the van?
@MattBW I had our sidebars welded on. We can stand on them to reach the roof on the passenger side (fitting Cali-topper etc.), I wouldn't feel very comfortable doing that with the bolts.

Bit of a guide to fitting them here.

Undo the plastic undertray at the edge and pull it down, I found it helps a lot to wedge it open to give clearance to get at the holes which have rubber bungs in which just pull out. Four holes per side.

Bolts and clip which hold the bolt in place in the sill. Put the clip on before inserting in the hole and then screw it up tight.

I gave each hole/bolt a generous helping of Waxoyl to prevent corrosion and ease of removal if necessary.
Fit the brackets (which are handed) but don't tighten the bolts fully.

Lay out the bar and put the bolts though the holes in the brackets. I also Waxoyled these bolts and the inside ends of the bar.

Connect one end of the bar but leave the bolt loose until the other end is connected and then tighten both.
Tighten the bolts holding the brackets to the sill.
Bolt the undertray back up and remove a bit of plastic if necessary to make it fit neatly round the brackets.

Job done.

Good point.

I could never buy a Land Rover Discovery for family as it behaves like a drunk man about to topple over. Partner gets motion sick.

Never any such issues with Range Rover, BMW X5, Aydi Q7, but with Mercedes GL. That too has this wallowing but much less than a Disco.

Interestingly on a test drive of a 4 Motion 204bhp Ocean I didn't notice any wallowing nor did my partner.

We pick our new car up in 10 days to get the 66 Reg but if has a boat like feel to it will either modify or sell it on...

which make and type of springs did you have fitted? there seems to be a few options available. I have the heavy duty anti roll bar fitted (option available at the time of ordering), I dont know why the option was withdrawn but a decent dealer should be able to find out from VW.
I'm not sure of the make, they came in a VW box with a label showing Volkswagen T5 lowering springs ZGB 7H0 071 677 A

Has anyone ever changed the mirror caps on their T5.1? I've had some sprayed up in the same colour as my T25, as well as a matching streamer for the front grill.

On my 2015 they look like little tabs that lock into place, however 2 are one way and one another. Im sure there is a knack to getting them off. Anyone know it?

Back