Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

If Apple made a car, this is how it would have done it!

I wonder if it will eventually do a Mr Creosote, just like my Ipad does and say, I'm full up, bugger off?

Don’t let autoglass or the like do a non genuine replacement windscreen....

You would only be able to visit Apple authorised campsites and pay via the App Store.

The hook up lead would have a unique connector which only Apple certified cables would fit.

Google would make a rival van called the Marco Polo. ;)

In my experience...

If apple had made it the roof will not have rotted, it's battery life will have been 50% better than anyone else, the breakdown service would have been best in it's class and you will have been driving along past a whole load of clapped out machinery on the hard shoulder thinking "at least I drive an apple".

Simply my experience after 37 years in the digital world having started with a commodore pet and driven through a host of microsoft powered dross to finally, in 2010, turn to Apple and never ever want to go "back there" again.

Oh, my one "warranty issue", The lid on closing would not turn off the machine.

This is directly relevant to why I bought a California.

Everyone else, before my Apple experience, was a manufacturer versus converter experience.

"we are microsoft, we supply the operating system, your problem lies with the computer manufacturer". "We are Dell software problems belong to microsoft"........................

Nothing ever got fixed.

"Hello, we are Apple, we own all problems...." suddenly all my problems got fixed.

As with my camper, unlike a conversion...... "Hello, we are VW, we own ALL your camper problems:.....

Enough. One stop shopping. Apple own all my computer problems, VW own all my second car / camper problems,

They'd eliminate the hole where the fuel hose plugs in. You'd have to use Bluetooth.

In my experience...

If apple had made it the roof will not have rotted, it's battery life will have been 50% better than anyone else, the breakdown service would have been best in it's class and you will have been driving along past a whole load of clapped out machinery on the hard shoulder thinking "at least I drive an apple".

Simply my experience after 37 years in the digital world having started with a commodore pet and driven through a host of microsoft powered dross to finally, in 2010, turn to Apple and never ever want to go "back there" again.
This thread is strangely interesting :)

That is true the roof wouldn't have rotted it probably would have bent through use lol ;) The support would have been better very true but you would pay about 30% more for the van than now and when it ran out they wouldnt even talk to you without another subscription or paying for the discussion. They'd sell the van with an intentionally smaller fuel tank and charge huge uplift to add a decent sized one even though its a cheap part.

It's interesting I was a 100% die hard dedicated apple fan, but they've slowly turned me away with their anti consumer antics since Steve Jobs passed. For me they're at the stage of abusing the loyalty now I personally think which has some parallels with VWs confidence in it's brand.

This thread is strangely interesting :)

That is true the roof wouldn't have rotted it probably would have bent through use lol ;) The support would have been better very true but you would pay about 30% more for the van than now and when it ran out they wouldnt even talk to you without another subscription or paying for the discussion. They'd sell the van with an intentionally smaller fuel tank and charge huge uplift to add a decent sized one even though its a cheap part.

It's interesting I was a 100% die hard dedicated apple fan, but they've slowly turned me away with their anti consumer antics since Steve Jobs passed. For me they're at the stage of abusing the loyalty now I personally think which has some parallels with VWs confidence in it's brand.

I've not had a problem Yet with Apple to complain about. 3 MacBooks, 3 I phones and countless I pads spread through the household and no problems. My mini I pad lives in my handbag, I don't go anywhere without it, and the Macbook Air that I am typing this on I've had for six years, it has been dropped countless times, especially when camping and falling out of the van.

I switched to Apple when I tired of no one being able to fix software problems, or just advise on how to make software work, and hardware problems were never fixed, just the machine replaced. Yes Apple are top-priced but the longest I have managed to keep a laptop before was 18 months and this one has been working faultlessly for six years.

I have noticed a more sterile approach from Apple recently. The product launches now seem less focussed on how to make the customers happy and more focussed on "look at how clever we are". I must admit to not having tried any competitor for years and years since I "converted" but the old idiom "If it's not broke, don't fix it" applies.

Having reached "peak-stuff" a while back, I think it's harder for all companies selling "product" to satisfy their share holders.

For years now its been evolution, not revolution. Anyone with shares, or a hedge fund managed pension scheme (like me) has to take some responsibility, as these companies are only doing what they're being asked to in that, "extract even more profit."

So many companies are failing on this venture, to continually raise the performance, year after year.

Last edited:
Yeah which is why with apple as an example as sales have fell they've just raised the prices to get the same amount of income from smaller sales. Forced obsolescence being a modern tactic by many companies trying to keep the income growing.

The first time I was stung by apple was my ipad 1, After about 2 years of happy ownership apple just withdrew support, it was no longer supported, apps stopped working, one by one and it turned into a poor web browser and not a lot else. Things move on I know but 2 years is terrible life for such an expensive item that still worked fine.

My Macbook Pro, cost over £2000 had a manufacturing issue using unsuitable solder on the gpu. However apple never told any of the effected customers, but fair play they did extend the warranty without telling anyone (in response to a lawsuit). As I am sure you can guess I had the fault 1 week after the warranty expired. If an apple product goes wrong you literally have to replace the entire board inside, its literally a new computer. They can't fix a faulty part. £700 to fix my machine which failed because of a design flaw. I ended up paying 600 and when I got it back it was a slower processor and even worse GPU. So I paid all that to downgrade my machine! Complained but was told that was all they had available... this replacement board is now failing too. So I've spent £600 for a year of extra use of a downgraded mac and I could have bought a pc laptop for that.

Numerous iphones with awful battery life. My iphone 6 has had 2 charging ports replacements, the speaker replaced twice and now the mute switch is starting to glitch. Just not what you expect from a premium priced item. I don't like android but I cant bring myself to get another iphone.

New iMacs being built so you cant even upgrade hard drives or memory as they are basically glued in. iMac Pro users with £5000+ computers with broken screens being told they cant be repaired...

Don't get me started on the constant changing of ports and the ever growing number of adapters you need just to plug something into your computer. Whatever happened to the customer experience Steve Jobs always strived for. He always took stuff that already existed and made it a pleasure to use.

It's a shame as I love Apple OS's but I'm back on PCs and about to sell my last iMac. Sad to admit they lost me as a customer and PCs are so much more powerful for less money. Win10 isn't Mac OS but its not that bad anymore..

I am honestly hoping if I vote with my wallet for a while. they'll change their ways but I suspect they'll just find a way to charge a smaller number of customers for the same income.

Wow I didn't realise quite how bitter I was until I posted that...

:Nailbiting

Yeah which is why with apple as an example as sales have fell they've just raised the prices to get the same amount of income from smaller sales. Forced obsolescence being a modern tactic by many companies trying to keep the income growing.

The first time I was stung by apple was my ipad 1, After about 2 years of happy ownership apple just withdrew support, it was no longer supported, apps stopped working, one by one and it turned into a poor web browser and not a lot else. Things move on I know but 2 years is terrible life for such an expensive item that still worked fine.

My Macbook Pro, cost over £2000 had a manufacturing issue using unsuitable solder on the gpu. However apple never told any of the effected customers, but fair play they did extend the warranty without telling anyone (in response to a lawsuit). As I am sure you can guess I had the fault 1 week after the warranty expired. If an apple product goes wrong you literally have to replace the entire board inside, its literally a new computer. They can't fix a faulty part. £700 to fix my machine which failed because of a design flaw. I ended up paying 600 and when I got it back it was a slower processor and even worse GPU. So I paid all that to downgrade my machine! Complained but was told that was all they had available... this replacement board is now failing too. So I've spent £600 for a year of extra use of a downgraded mac and I could have bought a pc laptop for that.

Numerous iphones with awful battery life. My iphone 6 has had 2 charging ports replacements, the speaker replaced twice and now the mute switch is starting to glitch. Just not what you expect from a premium priced item. I don't like android but I cant bring myself to get another iphone.

New iMacs being built so you cant even upgrade hard drives or memory as they are basically glued in. iMac Pro users with £5000+ computers with broken screens being told they cant be repaired...

Don't get me started on the constant changing of ports and the ever growing number of adapters you need just to plug something into your computer. Whatever happened to the customer experience Steve Jobs always strived for. He always took stuff that already existed and made it a pleasure to use.

It's a shame as I love Apple OS's but I'm back on PCs and about to sell my last iMac. Sad to admit they lost me as a customer and PCs are so much more powerful for less money. Win10 isn't Mac OS but its not that bad anymore..

I am honestly hoping if I vote with my wallet for a while. they'll change their ways but I suspect they'll just find a way to charge a smaller number of customers for the same income.

All sounds horrendous!

As with the VW California, for some unfortunate few, it just doesn’t work out.

Remembering Snowy from on here.....

It’s very hard, if not impossible, to restore a customers faith in a brand once their expectations have been delt multiple blows.

On the other-side, for some they are the best money can buy, and they remain loyal to the brand.

A lot of good reasons there Matt to sound bitter. I would be the same.

:Nailbiting

All sounds horrendous!

As with the VW California, for some unfortunate few, it just doesn’t work out.

Remembering Snowy from on here.....

It’s very hard, if not impossible, to restore a customers faith in a brand once their expectations have been delt multiple blows.

On the other-side, for some they are the best money can buy, and they remain loyal to the brand.

Absolutely, Snowy was a lovely chap and spoke to him in person about his experiences. They would have probably put me off too.

That said I had an Alfa that had engine failure on the drive home from the garage. I wanted a Brera so much I got a second one which was issue free for 5 happy years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back