Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of jumping ship (iOS to Android)

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
What's the point of having all this fancy tech if it lets you down when you need it most. Not for the first time, second time, but the umpteenth time, I was left with no power at a critical time. :headbang

No, I'm not talking about the Cali. It's my iPhone

And this is not the first iPhone it has happened on.

Every time I go outdoors with it and the battery gets cold the phone switches off, usually as I go to answer a call. Apparently, there is a faulty batch of batteries on the iPhone 6S and mine is one if them. Fair enough, Apple will replace the battery FOC but first you have to get an appointment at the Apple Store and there are never any free slots. I suppose I could post it off but then I've got no phone.

I've had all this hassle with a previous iPhone so I'm thinking of jumping ship and buying a Samsung Galaxy S7.

The only thing that's stopped me doing this previously if that all my other stuff is Apple and it integrates so well. But if the flipping thing doesn't work what's the point!

Anyone else made the jump from VW to MB ... er I mean iOS to Android? o_O

Replace the battery yourself. Plenty of Intel out there on how.

Why would you swap from a fantastic product to an inferior one, or by a Samsung for that matter?

I prefer my Samsung to iPhone any day of the week. Most people who buy them do it for the branding or because all their mates have got one.

The only problem I have with iphones were when my friends bought them and became ibores. We have had Samsung for ten years and have never had a problem. Despite the problems with the 7 catching fire Samsung have still recorded a 40% increase in profits this year.

I'm seriously considering a switch in the same direction mainly to be able to use Google Maps on App Connect on the T6. Apple Maps sucks. I'm told Android Auto is way too glitchy though. Anyone have experience with this and can you do proper voice control of Spotify in the same way you can Apple Music?

In terms of general phone use I have the same concern as Motacyclist - integration. I love how everything I work on on the Mac is seamlessly available on my iPhone and things like shared notes are really useful. I bet most of these services could be replicated cross-platform though with a different cloud provider (Dropbox?) and some App research.

I'm seriously considering a switch in the same direction mainly to be able to use Google Maps on App Connect on the T6. Apple Maps sucks. I'm told Android Auto is way too glitchy though. Anyone have experience with this and can you do proper voice control of Spotify in the same way you can Apple Music?

In terms of general phone use I have the same concern as Motacyclist - integration. I love how everything I work on on the Mac is seamlessly available on my iPhone and things like shared notes are really useful. I bet most of these services could be replicated cross-platform though with a different cloud provider (Dropbox?) and some App research.

Google Maps are excellent if you have internet. I have no problem with android apps and there are gazillions of them mostly free. Bus and train times stops weather apps. etc. are very helpful when you have a California.As for the other things you mention I am sure that as my Granny used to say: "Where there is a will there's a relative". Sorry :Way.

I was left with no power at a critical time. :headbang
No, I'm not talking about the Cali. It's my iPhone
Oh, that's bad and I hope you solved the situation:thumb
I used both Android/Samsung and OS/Apple and I stayed with Apple because of the points you mentioned however I would love to see the iPhone with more/better battery pack too so I went around and bought an extra battery to charge it (when snowboarding f.e. it stays in my backpack).

What you need is a OnePlus 3T, as fast as Samsung no battery problems and LOTS cheaper. Comes unlocked from the manufacturer.

... message ends...

I use a Microsoft Lumia 950 and love it, everything works as it should but if apps are your thing... this is not the platform for you, very few developers bother with windows, and Microsofts idea to make an android app bridge seems to have fallen off the radar!

personally I dislike iPhone, they always made poor decisions about encryption and locking music/content to their OS, I know that jas changed now but I prefer the android open source platform and its myriad flavours... If I wasn't the only Microsoft customer that is

Currently many deals on the Samsung 7 but the 8 version is coming out in a couple of months as is the iPhone 8 I read.
I was going to get a Samsung 7 but have put it off 'til March to see what deals are available then.

Currently using a 6S after several variants of iPhone over the years. Only problem I have had was a faulty power button on a 4S. Never let me down, does everything I want and has good resale value too at upgrade time. I considered Android and Samsung recently, happy owners mostly but everybody seems to have had at least one smashed screen.

Personally I don't think you can beat Motos for value for money Android phones. Mine replaced a Nokia Lumia which was a nice phone but sooner or later anybody with a Windows phone is going to get frustrated about the lack of apps. It took a long time for my bank to offer a banking app for Windows.

+1 for Moto's. Excellent value.

Google Maps are excellent if you have internet. I have no problem with android apps and there are gazillions of them mostly free. Bus and train times stops weather apps. etc. are very helpful when you have a California.As for the other things you mention I am sure that as my Granny used to say: "Where there is a will there's a relative". Sorry :Way.
Google maps are brilliant and now that I found I can download them and use offline even better.

Try maps.me. Offline mapping - just download the bits of the country you need. Also shows footpaths, bridleways etc. which Google maps won't. We've used maps.me all over the world. Wouldn't be without it.

I have an I Phone because it cost me nothing to upgrade it when I told vodafone I was going elsewhere.

Otherwise when it comes to smartphones I'm completely dumb. Only use it for telephone calls ... sad, I know ....

Thanks for all the replies. Well, I thought about this overnight and decided on the S7. It is priced between ÂŁ450 and ÂŁ570, but after some research I found the cheaper prices were not VAT reclaimable. Yesterday, Amazon was ÂŁ500 but out of stock, and the next was Argos at ÂŁ520, so I thought I would go with them. Lo and behold, today they are selling at ÂŁ570, an extra ÂŁ50! So I will bide my time.

So back with the iPhone, another attempt to book in at the Apple store:-

Apple.jpg

Usual story, so it looks like toting a spare external battery and lead if I go out. It's a joke.

Glad I never bought the Apple Watch to go with it!

I know I can change the battery, I've done it on a 5, but there is a risk of damage which I don't want to take on something that cost over ÂŁ700 (128GB model) not too long back; and besides Apple will replace FOC if I ever manage to get an appointment.

I wish I still had my old Nokia N95! :(

I use a Microsoft Lumia 950 and love it, everything works as it should but if apps are your thing... this is not the platform for you, very few developers bother with windows, and Microsofts idea to make an android app bridge seems to have fallen off the radar!

personally I dislike iPhone, they always made poor decisions about encryption and locking music/content to their OS, I know that jas changed now but I prefer the android open source platform and its myriad flavours... If I wasn't the only Microsoft customer that is

I use a Lumia 950 XL and love it too. Works smoothly, great camera and fine integration with Office and Onedrive. Did have IOS and Android before, but I like this platform best. True, there is an "app gap", but I found all the essentials I need.

I owned one Apple device (old ipod 80Gb) but the vendor lock-in worried me so much I decided to never do that again. Really glad I got out at that time already.
I currently have a Galaxy S7 (edge) and love it. I have a 200Gb SD Card in it and I store lots of offline maps (google maps offline, Synergy maps of all of Europe), Spotify and movies (recently also Netflix offline!) content on it before we leave on holiday... we sometimes watch one episode with earphones at night when the kids are sleeping upstairs in the cali.
The Iphone 7 plus 256GB is more than double the price. Unless you like to throw money away, a no-brainer IMO. But I can imagine it can take some time and courage to make the transition.

We too have replaced our Samsungs with Moto G4s. Half the price (we buy the phones and use GiffGaff rather than a contract). The Samsungs but far too many apps you can't get rid off that are no use. Camera and screen not as good but more than adequate

We too have replaced our Samsungs with Moto G4s. Half the price (we buy the phones and use GiffGaff rather than a contract). The Samsungs but far too many apps you can't get rid off that are no use. Camera and screen not as good but more than adequate

What's gift-gaff?

I went on giffgaff.com and couldn't understand whether they were selling phones, finance or what.... I will have another look.

Back