Illogical camp site prices

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We have an annual meet up soon with some non-Cali camping friends and this year Fishpool Farm Campsite near Delamere Forest has been chosen.

It does have good reviews but this wouldn't have been my first choice as it is less than 30 minutes from home, there is basically nothing there and it's just a field with a nice toilet block. (Don't people know North Wales is only another 25 minutes away?)

More annoying are the prices, starting from £23 for a tent, £24 for a caravan and £25 for a motorhome with 2 people so it's going to cost me £50 minimum for 2 nights; plus £5 per night for extra people & £3 for a dog. I was thinking of just visiting them but additionally, any visitors have to pay £5 to park a car outside the main site.

If it was somewhere with a sea view or additional facilities I would understand it but I think these prices are a little high for this time of year. The annoying thing is that I will be paying more for our little Cali than likely neighbours with a 22' caravan with massive awning on one side and a 4 x 4 parked on the other :mad:

Or is it just me turning into Victor Meldrew? :D

PS Anyone tell me if the Fishpool Inn next door is a Britstop .... I'd sooner stay in the car park there and have a good meal ... must get round to buying that book.

Nope, it isn't you, prices on some campsites are ridiculously high. Some places make sense, such as top quality facilities in a really nice place, but others, leave me gobsmacked.

When we were in France a couple of years ago, we stayed on some stunning sites, and the costs were reasonable. The UK doesn't compare well to France.

some prices are just stupid.

I stayed on a CC campsite,usual excellent CC facilities, on a beach, great pub next door for £11.40. Extra people would have been £5.50 each and the dog goes free.

I will have a peek at britstops when I get up :)

We are planning out first touring holiday in Europe next summer - first time we have done this in 22 years!

Can anyone give a quick summary of typical prices for EU sites? For reference the only guide I have is a record of the 100's of sites we stayed at over a 6 month period back then in 1994.

Virtually all sites were between £5 and £10 a night (majority France but also, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Germany, Holland, Belgium etc). We used many French 'Camping Municipal' sites and these were usually around £3.

Most expensive was Davos at around £18 and typically Swiss sites were more than everywhere else and between £10 and £15.

15 euro's max is what I will pay.

I use Aires a lot anyway.

ASCII's guides are pretty good, but loads and loads of guides out there to help find the good value ones.

some prices are just stupid.

I stayed on a CC campsite,usual excellent CC facilities, on a beach, great pub next door for £11.40. Extra people would have been £5.50 each and the dog goes free.

I will have a peek at britstops when I get up :)
Well, we just got back from there today and to be honest it's not a bad campsite but certainly hasn't anything to justify the prices. In the end we paid £24 inc electric but there were only two of us; for someone with a couple of kids and a dog it would be a very expensive stay in a field with not much to do in the immediate vicinity.

The Fishpool Inn next door was fully booked up so we were unable to get in there, unfortunately; maybe mid week would be OK.

Must get the Britstops book but it's nearly next year now!

not much to do in the immediate vicinity

Very true, we booked the Fishpool in advance for the Saturday evening but there were about 20 of us with Cali''s.

Then spent the day walking the hills, drinking in stunning country pubs ( :) ) and visiting the icecream parlor at Drumlan Hall Farm.

Rgds
Mark

French municipal campsites are great and we paid a maximum of 17euros a night including electric
ASCII sites are good too in low season

Here in Morocco we are paying less then £5.50 for 2 of us with no electric and with some of the "facilities" provided it is over priced!!

My Father always moans about pricing. As such he doesn't really go away in his Caravan which seems to defeat the object.

I have booked/ paid for him in to be on the adjoining pitch to us in the next few weeks in North Wales and will lie through my teeth concerning the cost. I suspect at £12.50 a night (50% subsidy by us) he will still moan.

Where in North Wales you going?

Some great walking around the headland at Llanbedrog near that site, there is an NT car park right on the beach (parking is difficult in Abersoch). We normally stop at Aberdaron when in that area, there is a site just above the town on the cliff top 5 minutes walk from the pubs!

Back