Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I'm no techie as you will see.....Media in ...eh?

I

iwjenkins

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
...hello all...I am an idiot and I should know stuff like this. :cry:

Final push for specification and I need to know if I need

Media-in - with iPod/iPhone adaptor or
Media-in - with USB adaptor cable and AUX-IN to connect external audio devices...OR Both ?????

The wife, Louise, has an iPad and iPod, we both have iPhones and I have a clunky laptop.

We want to be able to

- listen to her songs (apparently)
- charge all devices
- connect our phones to something so we can answer from a button on the multi-function steering wheel and talk/listen.
- is there anything else ??

We have selected Bluetooth premium so maybe this covers the phone bit but I don't know as I am an idiot. :?

:help

I'm drowning in my ignorance :headbang

Hi and welcome!

I went through this dilemma too.

I have the premium bluetooth and MFSW and you are right, this covers the phone controls and enables you to make and answer calls with no need to attach the phone with any wires.

The bluetooth also allows you to listen to music from your iPhone (I have an iPhone 5S) and the sound quality is actually quite good. I assume that an iPad or iPod would also connect this way via bluetooth but I may be wrong.

The MDI lead with iPhone connector would mean that the iPhone (or iPod) could be charged whilst connected to the socket in the glovebox. I believe you would also be able to see the song titles and select tracks in the little display in the dash (between the speed and rev dials).

As to which lead you need, I think it would just be the Media-in iPod/iPhone adaptor that you would need as it sounds like your devices are all apple-based.

I didn't get either lead in the end and, for me, the bluetooth does everything that I need it to with my phone.

Hope this helps!
Maud

Hi, if you've got the premium bluetooth you can connect an iPhone via bluetooth for making phone calls with full "hands Free" control over the phone functions using the MFSW. Then either the same phone or a different one can be connected simultaniously via a different bluetooth channel for music streaming, the only control you have over this device is the volume, track selection is done via the device itself. Charging can be done via the ordinary charger lead plugged into a £5 fag lighter/usb plug.

If you specify the media in socket you then have the ability to control track selection etc on the iPhone/pod via the MFSW as well as it charging - in addition track tittles etc are then shown on the radio.

The media interface basically means you can control your iPhone/ipod/usb device through the radio/steering wheel, skip tracks etc without having to touch the device, the radio/mdi should also display the names of the music etc, plus it charges the device and the sound quality is better. You don't need to order both just one interface and then buy either the USB or iPhone lead, bare in mind you can only use one interface lead at a time so would have to swap over the lead if changing from USB to iPod/iphone.

The premium bluetooth will allow you to stream music via bluetooth but it very fiddly and a poor version of what most manufactures have, i.e. you have to go through a lot of menus to set it up, then you have to get your device playing the music via bluetooth before the radio picks it up and shows the option to play it. Plus everytime you turn the ignition off you have to start the device again.. PITA imo

Pretty sure the Cali's radios have a basic 3.5mm (headphone jack) Aux in so you can just get your device to play what ever is playing down the lead.

Rippers... Maud beat me... I don't have the same problem with the media connecting, I have used both an iPod (whilst using a Samsung Simultaneously connected for the phone) and now an iPhone for both functions, press play on the device, press media button on the radio select BT job done.

Andy

Maud said:
Hi and welcome!

I went through this dilemma too.

I have the premium bluetooth and MFSW and you are right, this covers the phone controls and enables you to make and answer calls with no need to attach the phone with any wires.

The bluetooth also allows you to listen to music from your iPhone (I have an iPhone 5S) and the sound quality is actually quite good. I assume that an iPad or iPod would also connect this way via bluetooth but I may be wrong.

The MDI lead with iPhone connector would mean that the iPhone (or iPod) could be charged whilst connected to the socket in the glovebox. I believe you would also be able to see the song titles and select tracks in the little display in the dash (between the speed and rev dials).

As to which lead you need, I think it would just be the Media-in iPod/iPhone adaptor that you would need as it sounds like your devices are all apple-based.

I didn't get either lead in the end and, for me, the bluetooth does everything that I need it to with my phone.

Hope this helps!
Maud

Maud

Thanks for your brilliant reply and I am glad I am not alone. :cool I have taken on board everything you have said and will act accordingly.

By the way, your van looks lovely...toffee brown., yummy. We are struggling to finally decide on a colour. We are normally good at making this type of decision but this time we are stuck between a sensible place of sand beige or silver and a more wild and wacky place being Aubergine, Toffee Brown or Dark Wood. Do you have any more pictures of yours showing it in all its glory. The ones on the internet are over produced so I would love to see the colour in use.

Is there anybody out there with Aubergine or Dark Wood?

Thanks again for the advice. The order goes in on Wednesday.

Cheers

Ian and Louise :thumb

Remember if using BT audio, to keep your phone plugged into the 12v socket, as it kills the battery - So IMHO I'd go media plug all day long.

Oh and we have a Dark wood Cali - Look up Samoa Red which is what this colour was previously called - Its a lovely dark browny/redy colour!!

If you look through the gallery section, there are lots of photos of the various colours, though more of silver, beige and blue than the more 'unusual' colours which I personally love :D I do think that the beige must be better for keeping clean though!

I really like the Dark Wood but wanted to go for something a little lighter as some photos of the Dark Wood appear almost black. It looks stunning in the sunshine though!

Here is another photo of Ariadne when she was lovely and clean!

Enjoy choosing - it's such an exciting decision to make :D

IMG_2485-1 - Version 2.jpg

Maud said:
If you look through the gallery section, there are lots of photos of the various colours, though more of silver, beige and blue than the more 'unusual' colours which I personally love :D I do think that the beige must be better for keeping clean though!

I really like the Dark Wood but wanted to go for something a little lighter as some photos of the Dark Wood appear almost black. It looks stunning in the sunshine though!

Here is another photo of Ariadne when she was lovely and clean!

Enjoy choosing - it's such an exciting decision to make :D

Thanks Maud for taking the time to send the photo and for your comments...I feel like being unusual for a change so her goes....... cheers Ian

Back