Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

USB Media in

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Has anyone experienced any problems using the USB media in ports with an iPod? We have noticed glitches in the sound quality. It's like a little 'jump' happening about every 30 secs or so. A bit like I might expect if you jogged a CD player. Not what I expect from a quality audio system.

It seems to be related to the media in function. I have tried with two iPods, two cables and both USB ports. The issue is the same with all of these. I'm not sure if it is hardware or software related but playback through USB1 using the same iPhone and cable works perfectly so that seems to hint software. Bluetooth playback from the same music devices is also flawless.

I have the 6.33" audio unit with AppConnect but no other audio or navigation enhancements.

I will report it as a warranty issue but have zero confidence of a resolution and don't really want the dashboard ripped apart unless there is a high chance of a fix.

Anyone else heard of anything similar or can suggest a resolution?

Not sure whether this is your ssue, but my JVC unit struggles with some formats, even though main file type is WMA, mp3, etc., the various other settings (bit rate, DRM, codec) can throw it off when playing from files on a usb stick. Some tracks jump as you describe, some won't play, others are fine.
See if it is all tracks, or just some, and then see whether there is a pattern of affecting just some downloaded, iTunes, or ripped CDs.
Bluetooth is your iPod playing it, whereas the USB may be the media unit reading the files directly, hence the different output. Check the manual on file restrictions.
Hope that helps.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Good point about investigating which unit is playing the media.

But I don't think it is file format. It affects all tracks - downloaded, ripped and Spotify. The behaviour is entirely consistent.

Got the dealer to investigate this today as the Cali was in anyway. Apparently it is a known issue awaiting a software fix.

@DM only just seen this thread but I have experienced the 'skipping' you mentioned although less frequent, maybe twice on my 30 min commute. I don't use the usb connection as I haven't got app connect (wasn't an option to have it on the beach when I ordered) but link up with my iPhone via BT. I have the discover Nav, did they mention anything more specific about the problem/s? Cheers J

@DM only just seen this thread but I have experienced the 'skipping' you mentioned although less frequent, maybe twice on my 30 min commute. I don't use the usb connection as I haven't got app connect (wasn't an option to have it on the beach when I ordered) but link up with my iPhone via BT. I have the discover Nav, did they mention anything more specific about the problem/s? Cheers J
Didn't get anything more detailed I'm afraid. I haven't noticed any particular problems with BT but maybe I just didn't notice because USB is so much worse.

I'll ask if I can have a copy of the advisory about the known fault.

Didn't get anything more detailed I'm afraid. I haven't noticed any particular problems with BT but maybe I just didn't notice because USB is so much worse.

I'll ask if I can have a copy of the advisory about the known fault.
Cheers DM, appreciate it! :thumb

Back