Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

In ferry queue: mirror smashed

Ting Tong

Ting Tong

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We’re in the queue for the Santander ferry for a 5 week trip and some idiot with a scruffy wide Tabbert caravan just completely ripped our drivers mirror off.

Does anyone know the approximate cost as he’s offering to pay but he looks dodgy and says he’s on trade insurance abs is being very allusive.

Also does anyone have any suggestions about what we should do in Spain as it’ll be a struggle without a mirror even on the right. I have gaffer tape and the glass is intact.

Arrgghhhhhhh40892E67-E1A2-4CE6-BD01-52233654CD35.jpeg0ED7F089-996A-4BB6-8E7C-80228D8A6ACF.jpeg

Albert had a mirror like that for 3,000 miles until he went into SMG for a standard service and had the mirror fixed at the same time.

How damaged is the housing? If not much then the glass pops back in. Doesn't stay there for long but I got used to stopping to click the glass back in. A bit of tape should do it.

I paid £106 for the glass and plastic surround and then £100 for painting. However I see your bracket is damaged and its unclear if only the glass is damaged.Is your mirror colour keyed to van or base black ? I dont know the cost of a bracket, but £200 may be a working budget, and I guess you could offer to reduce / refund if less ? Sorry cant be more accurate.

I sailed into Santander about a month ago. You’re going to have a wonderful trip. There appears to be a VW service centre in Santander. If your temporary fix doesn’t hold up. I’d simply go there. I can’t help with what one costs sadly. Good luck.

I paid £106 for the glass and plastic surround and then £100 for painting. However I see your bracket is damaged and its unclear if only the glass is damaged.Is your mirror colour keyed to van or base black ? I dont know the cost of a bracket, but £200 may be a working budget, and I guess you could offer to reduce / refund if less ? Sorry cant be more accurate.
JUst looked again at your photos and noticed mirror may be intact?(also missed that in your message!) If it is, bracket and paint may be a good bit less, but perhaps start high just in case!!

Thanks everyone atm it just looks like the bottom casing and the cast metal swivel are broken. I may be able to bend it back and reseat the screw’s enough for it to last until we get back.

At least his cr@p caravan came of worse.

Jus boarding so will be incommunicado until Saturday morning

19642EEB-791A-40C1-B5B7-856F11276781.jpeg3EE72E0F-A2BF-44CE-BD57-8861AED112B0.jpeg

This site might be worth looking at for some idea?

1CAA50F7-50C8-4C64-9F7D-EDB0F5F263A6.png

I remember a time when prestige used to mean something. Sorry you're having to deal with this at the beginning of the holiday.

Motorised mirrors are surprisingly expensive to fix. Is it a heated one too? Could easily be over £500

My local garage damaged the Drivers mirror during a tyre change 4 yrs ago. They had an invoice for £375 from VW for a complete motorised heated mirror. The colour coded plastic covers were undamaged so were swapped. I doubt if you will get much change from £600 including labour + VAT if done by VW.

DAB Aerial in the mirror also

Four years ago, I had the misfortune to remove the driver's mirror on a transporter. A complete replacement was arranged by the owner who had a trade account with the VW dealer. I paid £459 which was for the complete replacement including an aerial.

We’re in the queue for the Santander ferry for a 5 week trip and some idiot with a scruffy wide Tabbert caravan just completely ripped our drivers mirror off.

Does anyone know the approximate cost as he’s offering to pay but he looks dodgy and says he’s on trade insurance abs is being very allusive.

Also does anyone have any suggestions about what we should do in Spain as it’ll be a struggle without a mirror even on the right. I have gaffer tape and the glass is intact.

ArrgghhhhhhhView attachment 88588View attachment 88590

From my experience it was possible to drive with it. When I had mine damaged in Spain it looked the same. I fixed it with tape and drove over 300 mls it was OK but it does vibrate so keep the speed down a bit.

The problem with repair is that the radio aerial is in it. Mine was fixed by a little local garage who had no problem getting the part I assume they were the same as on many VW vans. Luckily my coloured back was OK. The part was got within a few days and fitted in a couple of hours of leaving it at the garage. Cost was about 200 euro but after taking to others that was cheap and 2 years ago. I was told in the UK it may cost over £500. Cost may depend on the garage you use, I would allow at least 400.

Just found my bill, price is without vat so total was 233.31 in may 2019.
Clipboard01.jpg

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Hi TT

sorry to hear your woes

£520 seems to be the going figure @Lightning paid

Report the accident to the ferry company and give them the vehicle details that way if he turns out to be dodgy you can inform you insurance co. Who will be able to get the OPs details (home) from the ferry co. & they can pursue him for the full costs etc.

Thanks so much everyone...

Surprisingly good wifi on the ferry.

What's wrong with people tho!!! He was very aloof last night in the ferry queue and didn't turn up at the arranged meeting outside the duty free shop this morning. Mrs TT found him having breakfast and he made out like we were bothering him. We were actually checking in when happened and we have the check in girls details and she says they'll have cctv.

He wouldn't give me his insurance details when we cornered him at breakfast until I'd shown him mine. Says he lives in Spain yet drives a UK registered W210 Merc Estate and has trade insurance. I'm not going to even mention it to my insurance and I believe him about as much as I believe Boris.

Thankfully I think it looks worse than it is. I think it just needs a new bottom housing and the gimble joint thing. I'm going to VW in Santander on Sat after we've docked to see if they have the joint at least. It looks like a pig of a job involving removal of the door card and pulling the wire terminals out of the block connector inside but I'm relatively mechanically adept. Any tips would be appreciated if you've done it.

Looks like his caravan o/s and his o/s window took the brunt of the impact. He’s driven for at least 1m for his window to be hit too. Clearly not looking in his car wing mirrors (if he has them). Not the best start for your holiday ! Looks like someone has erased the ‘r’ from the word ‘Prestige’ on the side of his van. I’d erase ‘ige’ too so every one knows what’s they dealing with ! These things happen but it’s what we do about them that dictate the outcome !
Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks so much everyone...

Surprisingly good wifi on the ferry.

What's wrong with people tho!!! He was very aloof last night in the ferry queue and didn't turn up at the arranged meeting outside the duty free shop this morning. Mrs TT found him having breakfast and he made out like we were bothering him. We were actually checking in when happened and we have the check in girls details and she says they'll have cctv.

He wouldn't give me his insurance details when we cornered him at breakfast until I'd shown him mine. Says he lives in Spain yet drives a UK registered W210 Merc Estate and has trade insurance. I'm not going to even mention it to my insurance and I believe him about as much as I believe Boris.

Thankfully I think it looks worse than it is. I think it just needs a new bottom housing and the gimble joint thing. I'm going to VW in Santander on Sat after we've docked to see if they have the joint at least. It looks like a pig of a job involving removal of the door card and pulling the wire terminals out of the block connector inside but I'm relatively mechanically adept. Any tips would be appreciated if you've done it.
Sounds dodgy, at a guess would say he has no insurance.

- You can put the his Reg into the below to check if he insured (in the UK):

- Check Road Tax + MOT (technically insurance is not valid if these have expired)

- Trade Insurance
//

Can A Trader Drive A Car Without Tax?

What are trading licence plates or otherwise known as trading plates? This method is the ability to drive almost any vehicle, as long as it is pre-registered, for a short period of time without paying tax on the vehicle. Either because it is in repair, being collected for a customer or it is on hire by someone else who will eventually be paying the tax directly / indirectly.

Trade Insurance:
The types of businesses that would qualify for driving a car without tax and using trader's plates are; hire and lease companies, transporting or collecting vehicles from A to B and a motor trade business which maintains or repairs vehicles. Your average John Smith is not getting this kind of policy without proof of trading in a proper motor trade business, simply because the benefits and advantages of such a policy are too many
.//

If he is not insured, call his bluff and politely just tell him you know he is not insured, but your only concern is being compensated for the mirror that he broke otherwise you are left with no option but to report him.

...On the other hand he might just an arsehole with valid insurance!

I replace my O/S door mirror completely some time back and recall it cost me about £365 inc VAT from my local VW dealer then.
As I had a Reflex Silver van this was available already sprayed. You may be lucky with your white finish but other colours need to be sprayed. The aerials inside were transferred.

Alan

Sounds dodgy, at a guess would say he has no insurance.

- You can put the his Reg into the below to check if he insured (in the UK):

- Check Road Tax + MOT (technically insurance is not valid if these have expired)

- Trade Insurance
//

Can A Trader Drive A Car Without Tax?

What are trading licence plates or otherwise known as trading plates? This method is the ability to drive almost any vehicle, as long as it is pre-registered, for a short period of time without paying tax on the vehicle. Either because it is in repair, being collected for a customer or it is on hire by someone else who will eventually be paying the tax directly / indirectly.

Trade Insurance:
The types of businesses that would qualify for driving a car without tax and using trader's plates are; hire and lease companies, transporting or collecting vehicles from A to B and a motor trade business which maintains or repairs vehicles. Your average John Smith is not getting this kind of policy without proof of trading in a proper motor trade business, simply because the benefits and advantages of such a policy are too many
.//

If he is not insured, call his bluff and politely just tell him you know he is not insured, but your only concern is being compensated for the mirror that he broke otherwise you are left with no option but to report him.

...On the other hand he might just an arsehole with valid insurance!
Yes he's one of those alright. I'd checked his mot already but thanks for the mid link and surprisingly he has insurance too. As it looks fixable relatively cheaply, I think I'll do it myself and avoid having any disclosable claims.

It seems I might get away with not having to remove the door card.
Looks like his caravan o/s and his o/s window took the brunt of the impact. He’s driven for at least 1m for his window to be hit too. Clearly not looking in his car wing mirrors (if he has them). Not the best start for your holiday ! Looks like someone has erased the ‘r’ from the word ‘Prestige’ on the side of his van. I’d erase ‘ige’ too so every one knows what’s they dealing with ! These things happen but it’s what we do about them that dictate the outcome !
Hope you get it sorted.
Exactly, a big hole in the front pillar of the aluminum caravan and a cracked window. He told Mrs TT he'd bought it in the UK was taking it to sell in Spain.

The crunching sound as he passed seemed to last for an eternity until he heard my horn. He had mirror extenders too! It could be worse and I'll just take it on my chin rather than out on his. It was his attitude more than anything an never sorry once...arsehole.

I replace my O/S door mirror completely some time back and recall it cost me about £365 inc VAT from my local VW dealer then.
As I had a Reflex Silver van this was available already sprayed. You may be lucky with your white finish but other colours need to be sprayed. The aerials inside were transferred.

Alan

Alan
It’s a factory black mirror on our white van but luckily neither the upper part or the aerial seem damaged at all.

Reactions: Sad
He'll be driving a UK registered car to avoid taking the Spanish driving test although he will fall fowl as the authorities in Spain are clamping down on UK registered vehicles that have been in the country for more than 90 days.

Back