Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

In ferry queue: mirror smashed

Exact same thing happened to me in November - the idiot this time was an overzealous rubbish truck driver zooming past us on a London high street.

Had to replace the whole mirror unit, which came up to £600 incl paint, fitting etc. Has DAB, side assist etc. fitted in the mirror housing too. Only just got it fixed at the dealer last week (VW Van Centre Brum) as the part had to be ordered-in and Xmas hols etc.

Of course, didn't use the van much whilst the mirror was out, but the few times I had to give it a run I used a £20 suction makeup mirror on the driver window, which actually worked wonders! Here it is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072HGCV76/?tag=eliteelect-21

He'll be driving a UK registered car to avoid taking the Spanish driving test although he will fall fowl as the authorities in Spain are clamping down on UK registered vehicles that have been in the country for more than 90 days.
He might be driving a UK registered car because he is British, not exactly uncommon to find on a ferry leaving Britain. Why would he fall foul of the 90 day rule ? he hadn't even entered Spain.

So after waiting until 10:15 for the sales people to open up, we discovered the VW parts department in Santander is not open on Saturday! It gaffer taped on ok but I’ll get the parts from somewhere and do it when we’re settled somewhere warm for a few days. In Salamanca now and it’s freezing.

So after waiting until 10:15 for the sales people to open up, we discovered the VW parts department in Santander is not open on Saturday! It gaffer taped on ok but I’ll get the parts from somewhere and do it when we’re settled somewhere warm for a few days. In Salamanca now and it’s freezing.
Enjoy Salamanca it is one of my favourite places to cycle the cycle paths are very good.

Enjoy Salamanca it is one of my favourite places to cycle the cycle paths are very good.
Yes they are. Regio is the only campsite open and we cycled in today and did the sights, had tapas and cycled back. Just had a nice nap in the sunshine. Toledo tomorrow.

a transit got too close to me resulting in very same mirror damage - the good news is if you can pop the mirror and the plastic surround back - the aluminium part is designed to snap off, reducing the risk of damage to the expensive parts - the aluminium part was £7 on ebay and took about an hour to swap over. The connections for the remote operation / dab are in the door card so it means removing this for access.

If he agrees to pay up id insist on a whole new mirror and housing.

This happened to me on my way to glencoe…a hired motor home didn’t pull in far enough!!
i taped it up but someone warned me to ensure I could see ‘through’ the mirror so I simply cut a hole in the bag I’d covered the mirror with.
I was lucky…it all fell apart but clicked into position other than needing a new outer casing!

This happened to me on my way to glencoe…a hired motor home didn’t pull in far enough!!
i taped it up but someone warned me to ensure I could see ‘through’ the mirror so I simply cut a hole in the bag I’d covered the mirror with.
I was lucky…it all fell apart but clicked into position other than needing a new outer casing!

Had this happen in France some years back. A Great White to far over and nearly caused a head on at 60mph.
My wife still has flash backs…
Replacement was about £400.

He might be driving a UK registered car because he is British, not exactly uncommon to find on a ferry leaving Britain. Why would he fall foul of the 90 day rule ? he hadn't even entered Spain.
OP mentioned that the other driver said he lived in Spain. If that's true, either he hasn't gotten Spanish residency and would be illegal after 90 days, or he has gotten Spanish residency, which includes the draconian form 720 tax law with a fine of 150% of the asset value for not reporting taxable foreign assets like property or money. If he does have residency, his UK license plates and UK driver's license are invalid starting 6 months from the date residency was granted. In either case, his insurance would be invalid, so it's not surprising that he doesn't want insurance involved, as they will establish one or the other in order not to pay. The residency issue would get him deported, failure to file form 720 would get his assets seized.

Last edited:
OP mentioned that the other driver said he lived in Spain. If that's true, either he hasn't gotten Spanish residency and would be illegal after 90 days, or he has gotten Spanish residency, which includes the draconian form 720 tax law with a fine of 150% of the asset value for not reporting taxable foreign assets like property or money. If he does have residency, his UK license plates and UK driver's license are invalid starting 6 months from the date residency was granted. In either case, his insurance would be invalid, so it's not surprising that he doesn't want insurance involved, as they will establish one or the other in order not to pay. The residency issue would get him deported, failure to file form 720 would get his assets seized.

So him being English, driving a Uk registered vehicle, having an accident in England makes his insurance totally void & him subject to deportation from Spain?

You've made a number of huge assumptions to come to your conclusion.

Back