Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Independent v VW- again

Chunkymunky

Chunkymunky

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
More advice please.
As per my previous posts We have been fortunate to recently buy a 2016 4motion ocean for a good price ( that’s important as it gives me a bit of leeway on anything that needs doing to the van). It has full VWSH and first MOT last done at 34k.

We are on 48k miles and is due it’s MOT this April. According to VW records it’s not due a service until 54k? Touch wood it’s running sweet and looks ok for its MOT other than a blown daylight bulb ( which will end up getting done by the garage as it’s a PITA) but I have three French trips this year which will put me up to year end 54k at least and I would prefer for my own piece of mind to get it done before I go. It’s also just thrown up an oil service reminder on the dash. I’m also looking at the four year Cambelt AND pump guidance ( see my early posts - the lad I bought off wasn’t budging on that one!).

My dilemma is continue with VW as outside of the warranty or go independent ? Give them the MOT too? In particular Pros and cons of each specific to resale values too- do you still think it matters ?-particularly anyone who has bought or sold recently. What other advantages of staying in the VW chain other than if I was to part ex in the future through them or for updates?

I’m looking at a full service, MOT and cambelt/ pump at nearly half price if going independent, but is it a false economy ? Do they service the “ Cali” bits or is it just another T6 up on the ramps.

If it helps, my VW dealer is Liverpool, who I believe we have a discount with for the club. Feedback re them is important to me too!

Thanks as always, and yes I have checked the search option first and was particularly interested in the Jan 19 threads which has ( half) made my mind up. I didn’t want to resurrect or hijack a zombie thread!

We have a great relationship with Liverpool Van Centre and have used them for our last 5 vans. They service them too and that involves a 9 hour round trip each time - so my dealings have been extremely good. I do think it makes a difference when you get to know your dealer.

More advice please.
As per my previous posts We have been fortunate to recently buy a 2016 4motion ocean for a good price ( that’s important as it gives me a bit of leeway on anything that needs doing to the van). It has full VWSH and first MOT last done at 34k.

We are on 48k miles and is due it’s MOT this April. According to VW records it’s not due a service until 54k? Touch wood it’s running sweet and looks ok for its MOT other than a blown daylight bulb ( which will end up getting done by the garage as it’s a PITA) but I have three French trips this year which will put me up to year end 54k at least and I would prefer for my own piece of mind to get it done before I go. It’s also just thrown up an oil service reminder on the dash. I’m also looking at the four year Cambelt AND pump guidance ( see my early posts - the lad I bought off wasn’t budging on that one!).

My dilemma is continue with VW as outside of the warranty or go independent ? Give them the MOT too? In particular Pros and cons of each specific to resale values too- do you still think it matters ?-particularly anyone who has bought or sold recently. What other advantages of staying in the VW chain other than if I was to part ex in the future through them or for updates?

I’m looking at a full service, MOT and cambelt/ pump at nearly half price if going independent, but is it a false economy ? Do they service the “ Cali” bits or is it just another T6 up on the ramps.

If it helps, my VW dealer is Liverpool, who I believe we have a discount with for the club. Feedback re them is important to me too!

Thanks as always, and yes I have checked the search option first and was particularly interested in the Jan 19 threads which has ( half) made my mind up. I didn’t want to resurrect or hijack a zombie thread!
Parts and work done by VW is warranted for 2 yrs. Does the independent offer that?.
VW keeps an electronic service/repair record that any prospective buyer can get. I'm sure it will impact resale value in the short term but then you make a saving going independent. You'll have to make a judgement on which is greater and when you are likely to sell.

Parts supplied by VW (keep receipts) and fitted correctly, not abused etc. are covered by the same warranty where ever fitted.

Do they service the “ Cali” bits or is it just another T6 up on the ramps.
It’s just another T6 up on the ramps unless you point out a warranty/ repair need to the camping side. In that case they mostly make the problem worse and leave oily hand and foot prints all over the interior and don’t replace the trim properly. Some, as I’m sure they’ll point out, are luckier than that, but there are plenty of horror stories too.

I would just try and find a well established garage with a good reputation / lots of recommendations and not worry whether it's a main dealer or not. A good independant using quality / VW parts won't save you that much money and a main dealer is no guarantee of quality workmanship.

thanks all. Plenty for me to think about and a nice balance of views. I’m a little ( very!) wary of dealers having been stuck with Audi rip off servicing for the past few years on our cars so I’m very keen to avoid the expense if possible and return to my local trusted garage, but I am now more acutely aware being new to the Cali scene that it might not suit us over the next year or so and would want to maximize resale value. I’ve got until April to have a ponder! Cheers for the feedback re: Liverpool van centre!

You are lucky to have the choice of an independent workshop, here in Italy no one will touch a Transporter that I have found, VW’s service is not great with long booking times and no parts, admittedly there’s not many Cali’s here especially later T5/6, there’s a fair few T4 Cali’s and other T4 campers that crawl out of the woodwork in summer.
Don’t know where they go for repairs, it’s mostly like the Italian way, it’s shinny on the top and it still goes...

Anyway I gave up with VW’s dealers, I do everything myself and as the T4 ages VW has diminished interest, so I’ll continue until my aging body says stop.

Some of us are lucky to have a VW dealer close by, one who we can develop a personal relationship with, who understands the Cali as opposed to a T6 van and one who do not go out of their way to rip the customer off.

I am fortunate to have SMG Cowfold look after Alfie. Others on here have expressed the same with VW Liverpool, as you live in merseyside this should be an important consideration.

Even when my previous vehicle was out of warranty I still felt very happy with it being looked after by SMG and I'm sure the continuity of VW servicing helped me to sell it quickly.

I don't believe VW service the Cali bits either!
So, re the “ Cali bits” I presume gas service being separate, and fridge and water just going until they bust, that leaves the roof. Does that need servicing?

So, re the “ Cali bits” I presume gas service being separate, and fridge and water just going until they bust, that leaves the roof. Does that need servicing?
No, there are no serviceable items apart from replacing the red gas pipe every 5 years.
As far as the Gas system is concerned, Legally, there is no requirement unless you rent the vehicle out.

No, there are no serviceable items apart from replacing the red gas pipe every 5 years.
As far as the Gas system is concerned, Legally, there is no requirement unless you rent the vehicle out.
Thank you WG

Back