Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Info on insurance companies

Wild Bob

Wild Bob

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Picking up our new Cali Ocean mid August but having problems finding reasonable insurance quotes !

Has anyone tried Ripe for insurance ? they are underwritten by ERS.
looks like they have moved into the camper insurance market.

Not heard of Ripe. I took a look at their website, and agree their product is Motorhome specific, and on the face of it they offer things that the big boys offer, like new for old up to 12k miles or 2 years, EU cover, and cover for accessories like awnings. If you decide to proceed, check out you’re happy with the details, like max single item cover for possessions (they state £500) - total claim limit (isn’t stated); they state that theft of possessions only where windows and sunroofs (pop tops?) are locked - so thefts from an awning or of a drive away awning, or entry via the pop top might not be? Also check if the cooking equipment (gas system) is covered - they state it must be maintained in accordance with gas safety regulations - so I’m not totally convinced they actually know the product they’re insuring.

I and others would like to know your feedback from them if you go ahead - good to have competitive like-for-like quotes to batter down our premiums!!

We have been with Comfort for the past 2 years btw.
Thanks for bringing those things to my attention, so I rang them and they said they ONLY COVER THE CAMPER. fully comprehensive..
so personal possessions you would have to cover separately, but a very competitive quote. I will give comfort a ring for a quote I’m currently with the ccc. which is now run by a-plan insurance.

I’m picking my Beach up next month. Thought I would start shopping around, I’ve only phoned Comfort so far about 20 minutes ago…So for me (Gran with a Van) plus adding my 45 year old Son as an additional driver was Unlimited mileage £604 under 10,000 miles £515, 8000 miles £439 and 6000 miles £399.
I haven’t a clue if this is a good quote or not but will shop around with a couple of other companies. Comfort do seem to have most areas covered I would say.

We have recently shopped around for our new Cali. Tried Adrian Flux, Comfort and Caravanguard. Comfort were the cheapest (£420 for £10k miles pa including commuting). They were also really easy to deal with and were the only insurer not to require a tracker, but they did offer 10% discount if one was fitted.

We have recently shopped around for our new Cali. Tried Adrian Flux, Comfort and Caravanguard. Comfort were the cheapest (£420 for £10k miles pa including commuting). They were also really easy to deal with and were the only insurer not to require a tracker, but they did offer 10% discount if one was fitted.
Hi @MidlandsManc
Do you mind me asking what is the list price of the Cali you have ordered?
When I requested a quote from Comfort this week they insisted on a tracker due to the value of the Cali I have on order. (£85k).

We have been with Comfort for the past 2 years btw.
Just for information I have gone with ccc for insurance as they covered contents and personal belongings, there was only £35.00 difference between them and ripe
Comfort was nearly double the price.

Just for information I have gone with ccc for insurance as they covered contents and personal belongings, there was only £35.00 difference between them and ripe
Comfort was nearly double the price.
There’s no single answer to the best / cheapest provider. For us, when getting quotes 2 years ago, CCC came in at near three time Comforts quote on like for like ! I couldn’t believe it. I think they try and price match now, but not at the time.

Been with CCC for the last 7years. Modifed California at £370

Hi @MidlandsManc
Do you mind me asking what is the list price of the Cali you have ordered?
When I requested a quote from Comfort this week they insisted on a tracker due to the value of the Cali I have on order. (£85k).
I had the same for my Cali on order. Ended up going with NFU since they don't require a tracker and also only have a £100 excess. Cheapest quote I could find by a clear mile once tracker costs were factored in.

Out of interest, does Comfort cover all those points you flagged? I just got a quote from them.
They have an adequate amount of contents cover for us, new for old up to two years or 12k miles, and provide for normal camping situations, including the “bacon butty test” (Fires from cooking). You’re best to read through the insurance terms yourself to make sure you’re happy., and call them to clarify anything that you’re not sure about.

I’m not sure many camper insurance companies would cover theft of items stolen from an awning would they? You’re insuring the van in the main and it’s contents to a degree - other insurance (home maybe) would cover items outside?

Well, I am amazed!!

I called LV this morning (with whom we have an existing 2 car multi car policy) to ask for a quote to swap one of the vehicles for our new Cali Ocean 4Motion on the 8th March.

Both drivers have no claims or convictions in the past 5 years and both have 9+ years NCD.

Annualised cost £234.

I specifically asked if it was a campervan/motorhome policy and this was confirmed on the phone and also on the revised policy documentation I just received by email.

Dashcam to be fitted, but no requirement for a tracker.
7000 miles p.a.

I had asked a few questions regarding the campervan policy a few weeks ago and got these replies :

And is the cover campervan specific, including accidental damage or loss to the interior in the event of any major claim? For example if the standard fit gas hob was to cause a fire, would the campervan be covered?

• That is correct. You will have cover for accessories and other items fitted to the vehicle such as:* Fitted Awnings* Cookers* Fridges* Beds* CupboardsThere is also a cover limit Personal Belongings is increased to £1,000 on Motorcaravans. This will cover for any personal belongings such as:* Bed Linen* Cooking Utensils* Crockery* Cutlery etc.* Clothes
  • OK thanks.
  • In another scenario, if an external gas BBQ for example was to set the van on fire would the van be covered for loss?
  • We do cover you for fire damage yes.
Chat Agent

I was expecting to pay at least £400 or more.
Happy days.

Well, I am amazed!!

I called LV this morning (with whom we have an existing 2 car multi car policy) to ask for a quote to swap one of the vehicles for our new Cali Ocean 4Motion on the 8th March.

Both drivers have no claims or convictions in the past 5 years and both have 9+ years NCD.

Annualised cost £234.

I specifically asked if it was a campervan/motorhome policy and this was confirmed on the phone and also on the revised policy documentation I just received by email.

Dashcam to be fitted, but no requirement for a tracker.
7000 miles p.a.

I had asked a few questions regarding the campervan policy a few weeks ago and got these replies :

And is the cover campervan specific, including accidental damage or loss to the interior in the event of any major claim? For example if the standard fit gas hob was to cause a fire, would the campervan be covered?

• That is correct. You will have cover for accessories and other items fitted to the vehicle such as:* Fitted Awnings* Cookers* Fridges* Beds* CupboardsThere is also a cover limit Personal Belongings is increased to £1,000 on Motorcaravans. This will cover for any personal belongings such as:* Bed Linen* Cooking Utensils* Crockery* Cutlery etc.* Clothes
  • OK thanks.
  • In another scenario, if an external gas BBQ for example was to set the van on fire would the van be covered for loss?
  • We do cover you for fire damage yes.
Chat Agent

I was expecting to pay at least £400 or more.
Happy days.
Great.
Unfortunately my LV insurance went up from c.£450 to £700 this year. Still couldn’t better it though (tbh I only tried 3 others that are often mentioned I’m on here)

I found Aviva the best for my circumstances so far. By a good 25%.

Comfort were the most, Ripe was along the lines of the comparison sites. LV were second highest.

All depends what sort of risk the particular underwriter wants. Such a lottery.

I did read once upon a time that the best time to search for a policy is from memory 26 days before the commencement date (it may be 23, or thereabouts).

I tried this with one of the cars the other year, applying with exactly the same details with different policy start dates with LV and it actually played out.