Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inquiry

T

tom73

Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am a newcomer to your club, but not to the VW camper community: I have had T2/T3:T3synchro in the past 40 years, Westfallia mostly...
I ordered a T6 Beach 4 motions 150 HP D (I live in the Alps) I would like to know if in the club you have information on the statisitcs of the DSG7 automatic shift . It seems that this shift has had severe problems on other vehicles, but have not seen any report on transporter type.

Having a 7 gear auto shift is a good prospect, but if it ends up being a bag of worries and expenses, I would rather stay with a 6 gear manual....

Thanks for your adcices.....

Hi and welcome from Belgium....

As for your Q , there are many discussions on DSG in general but not on major problems so far as i am aware of.
I got one on my 2012 SE and love it , done only 32.500 km as we only use it for trips not as daily driver.
Did 5000km this june thru Norway loved the DSG , done the Mont-Ventoux , Alpes D'uez ....no problem as for climbing or downhill.
Towing trailers ...don't know
Think many problems are caused to the way of driving ....

Off topic ...how are the Alpes at the time....snow conditions?

Hi and welcome from Belgium....

As for your Q , there are many discussions on DSG in general but not on major problems so far as i am aware of.
I got one on my 2012 SE and love it , done only 32.500 km as we only use it for trips not as daily driver.
Did 5000km this june thru Norway loved the DSG , done the Mont-Ventoux , Alpes D'uez ....no problem as for climbing or downhill.
Towing trailers ...don't know
Think many problems are caused to the way of driving ....

Off topic ...how are the Alpes at the time....snow conditions?
Thks for your commments.
I am sure that a 7 gear auto shift is great to drive, as long as it is reliable on the long run. Have driven for years auto shifts in the US with 3 gears...

Off the record, there is NO SNOW as of today in Chamonix/ le Tour. Only ONE ski slope is opened there. But in L'ample D'Huez plenty of artificial snow...Meteo previews it for next week.
Regards

I am a newcomer to your club, but not to the VW camper community: I have had T2/T3:T3synchro in the past 40 years, Westfallia mostly...
I ordered a T6 Beach 4 motions 150 HP D (I live in the Alps) I would like to know if in the club you have information on the statisitcs of the DSG7 automatic shift . It seems that this shift has had severe problems on other vehicles, but have not seen any report on transporter type.

Having a 7 gear auto shift is a good prospect, but if it ends up being a bag of worries and expenses, I would rather stay with a 6 gear manual....

Thanks for your adcices.....
Major problems are virtually non-existent even on the high milage commercial T5's as long as oil changes etc: are carried out at the correct intervals.
Some people complain of a take-off lag which is often due to driving technique. The DSG box is NOT an Automatic gear box and Torque converter. It is a different animal . If you want some reading about the DSG then see the attachment.

Attachments

• DSG.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 18
Major problems are virtually non-existent even on the high milage commercial T5's as long as oil changes etc: are carried out at the correct intervals.
Some people complain of a take-off lag which is often due to driving technique. The DSG box is NOT an Automatic gear box and Torque converter. It is a different animal . If you want some reading about the DSG then see the attachment.

Thanks for a very interesting article on how to drive a DSG.
Seems like a lot of fun. I am not worried about the kind of delay on pick up sessions, or of "game" it is to dirve with this option. Just do not want to get into mechanical or electro-mechanical problems of a sophisticated gadget. Don't think this is a gadget either, but I have known in the past how VW does not assume after sale probems, in France at least.

Thanks anyway!!!

Back