Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Installation of an emergency fire extinguisher GC600 & GC 680

• Thread starter Nobard 33 French
  • Start date
Nobard 33 French

Nobard 33 French

Vehicle
Grand California 600
After looking for an "ideal" place to install an emergency extinguisher, easily accessible from inside as from outside, I positioned it in the inside corner of the sliding door, behind the seat
Very easy installation with a screw and using a ground fixture
The fire extinguisher comes with its support

fire extinguisher.jpg

FE01.jpg

FE02.jpg

The fire safety stick is not a certified extinguisher. The will work in doors with no wind. You need to be very near the fire they should be seen as an addition to a major extinguisher not a replacement.
Hi George, just wanted to check your reasoning behind this?
Do you have specific training or certification from a H&S body that deals with fires?
Or is this from reading the product specification on the website ?
Just interested, and wanting the best knowledge out there on websites for others to glean information from, not wishing to cause any friction (pun intended ;)

The fire safety stick is not a certified extinguisher. The will work in doors with no wind. You need to be very near the fire they should be seen as an addition to a major extinguisher not a replacement.

So for a cali they sound perfect, you are never going to be anything other than very near the fire & indoors.

My personal preference having been on a couple of fire training courses is a large fire blanket & a pair of legs to run away from anything that a fire blanket won't deal with.

check these videos out about these fire safety sticks:
A classic powder extinguisher followed up by water to cool things down seems like the best option. (except for oil fire in a pan)

Hi Guys,
I totally appreciate that everyone has their opinions and if you feel the Fire Safety Stick is not for you, then that is fine :)

Just to clarify, the Fire Safety Stick is completely certified as a fire extinguisher, it actually has a British Standards Verification certificate confirming this. I assume the point being raised was that it has no British Standards Kite Mark or confirms completely to EN3. The current standards, were written by the manufacturers of traditional pressurised extinguishers are are purely written around pressurised containers and that they require servicing. The Fire Safety Stick is not pressurised since inside it is a solid resin before activation. And it does not need any servicing since there is nothing to service (it's not pressurised). Incidentally it is now carried by many emergency services for their own use, such as Kent Fire and Rescue Service, South Yorkshire Police and various ambulance services and others being rolled out as I type this.
With regards to the YouTube video shown, the chap was trying to extinguish a bonfire with burning coals within it (as he clearly stated), coal burns from within, (not totally dissimilar to lithium batteries), I would not describe a bonfire with established burning coals as necessary an emergency fire situation. Even the truck demo was with several logs within the engine bay to add to the fire, also by the technique they were way too close to the fire and not allowing the vapour to act on the flames, being 1 or 2 feet further back would have had very different results! (With established burning logs within the oil drum.The Fire Safety Stick (like all extinguishers) is for small fires at the early stages, and not an established fire, with logs or coals.
Hope that clarifies a few points. Cheers :)

There are other options small enough to fit into the door storage.
I am using this.

Hi Guys,
I totally appreciate that everyone has their opinions and if you feel the Fire Safety Stick is not for you, then that is fine :)

Just to clarify, the Fire Safety Stick is completely certified as a fire extinguisher, it actually has a British Standards Verification certificate confirming this. I assume the point being raised was that it has no British Standards Kite Mark or confirms completely to EN3. The current standards, were written by the manufacturers of traditional pressurised extinguishers are are purely written around pressurised containers and that they require servicing. The Fire Safety Stick is not pressurised since inside it is a solid resin before activation. And it does not need any servicing since there is nothing to service (it's not pressurised). Incidentally it is now carried by many emergency services for their own use, such as Kent Fire and Rescue Service, South Yorkshire Police and various ambulance services and others being rolled out as I type this.
With regards to the YouTube video shown, the chap was trying to extinguish a bonfire with burning coals within it (as he clearly stated), coal burns from within, (not totally dissimilar to lithium batteries), I would not describe a bonfire with established burning coals as necessary an emergency fire situation. Even the truck demo was with several logs within the engine bay to add to the fire, also by the technique they were way too close to the fire and not allowing the vapour to act on the flames, being 1 or 2 feet further back would have had very different results! (With established burning logs within the oil drum.The Fire Safety Stick (like all extinguishers) is for small fires at the early stages, and not an established fire, with logs or coals.
Hope that clarifies a few points. Cheers :)
Hi

The advice from all fire services including Kent is to get out stay out and call the fire service.

Fire is unpredictable and situations can change rapidly; trying to deal with a fire in a confined space could be extremely dangerous.

Re the demo videos; when demonstrating extinguishers or fire fighting equipment a scenario can be staged to promote or disprove their effectiveness.
Take care

Hi

The advice from all fire services including Kent is to get out stay out and call the fire service.

Fire is unpredictable and situations can change rapidly; trying to deal with a fire in a confined space could be extremely dangerous.

Re the demo videos; when demonstrating extinguishers or fire fighting equipment a scenario can be staged to promote or disprove their effectiveness.
Take care
Thanks :) Very Valid points and I would agree with the first two points. Official advice from Fire Services is indeed to get out, stay out and call them. The Fire Safety Stick is being carried for their own use in case of vehicle fires (Kent and other services that are rolling it out now). And that's one of the big advantages of the Fire Safety Stick (and one of the point the fire services like about it) is that is can be activated and left to continue to discharge and repress the fire as the persons have escaped to safety. And this has already proved to be effective in real-life situations.

But it is worth noting that the FSS (like all Fire extinguishers) is all about only intended to a) aid escape within confined spaces and b) to deal with a fire at its very early stages before it is established at all. Only if it is safe to do so, and the fire had just started, wouldn't you initially attend to extinguish it there and then? In the home, for example, that small cooking fire could extinguished quickly and safely before the Fire Service could arrive 10 mins later. And of course, in the case of chimney fires, the fire safety stick can be activated to extinguish the chimney before the fire brigade arrives. Again in real-life situations, it has already saved tens of thousands of pounds in damage (as well as the occupants).

Very true about the demos too, which is why our most common demo is with petrol on water which is very unpredictable as the flame easily comes back to you. Incidentally, we are currently in a programme of creating many more demos). Cheers

Hi glad to hear that you agree the National advice given by the fire service is valid.

The advice given is based on collective experience of real life events.

Thankfully most people won’t experience a fire in their vehicle or home, however sh*t happens.

Material things can be replace, life and the effects that injuries can cause can’t.
Stay safe

Back