Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fire extinguishers (again)

R_Sargeant_CH

R_Sargeant_CH

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi all,

I searched the forum but it seemed no-one has fully answered all my questions, so here's the results of my research and purchase. I must point out that I am in no way an expert on fires, so please do not take anything you read here as Gospel - decide for yourselves!

My wife and I fly hot-air balloons. Sitting a few thousand feet in the air in a combustible basket together with 4 tanks full of liquid propane makes you think a bit about fire extinguishers so when we bought our California, definitely on the list!

Common sense first. If there's a fire, get everyone out! Your insurance will pay for a new Van (which you lusted after anyway)! Fight the fire from outside the van.

From previous experiences, there are three problems with conventional extinguishers.
1) They are very heavy chunks of steel that you do not want flying around if you are involved in an accident.
2) They are "lifed", and need servicing/replacing after a few years.
3) They apparently make a total mess that is sometimes corrosive, so you might as well write off the Van anyway!
4) They are bulky and heavy and mounting them securely and not in the way is a challenge in a California, where every item has to justify the room it takes.

Stick type extinguishers seemed to be a possible solution.
Armed with Google and YouTube, I found Element sticks. These are available as either 50 second or 100 second versions. Other manufacturers last much less long and are around the same price.
I couldn't find a European supplier, but once my US-ordered unit arrived at our home in Switzerland and I saw it was manufactured in Italy, I was able to backtrack and find UK and worldwide suppliers. I've attached a picture of the packaging from my unit. UK units may have different packaging - this is a US unit imported from Canada (go figure), but all units I have seen have "ELEMENT" wrote large on the actual stick, are half red, half black and have yellow caps at each end.

1) These units weigh about 200g. Diameter 35mm, length 260mm. Think Running Baton size.
2) There is no mention of "Life" on the extinguisher. The propaganda on the UK site says "No servicing or maintenance, 15 year shelf life, no expiry date (?)", so I can be reasonably confident it's going to work in 6-7 years time, unlike conventional extinguishers.
3) These apparantly leave no mess. The products of use combined with a fire are a small amount of Potassium and water vapour.
4) Very small and light. Supplied with a robust plastic clip that I plan to bolt to the steel base of a seat, where it's easily accessable but not in the way.

Almost forgot, the blurb on the extinguisher says "Class A, B, C & K fires". Class B is what you need for Butane/Propane/Petrol fires. "K" is for your chip pan fires! (Chip pans in a Cali)?

This type of extinguisher apparently "eats" Oxygen, which and fire needs and thus kills the fire. One review I saw said that in an enclosed space like a van, the best procedure is to get everyone out, light the device, place it inside the van and close the doors, leaving the stick to do its work.

We have the 50 second version, there's also a 100 second variant. Ours cost the equivalent of £70 but we sourced ours from the US so I would think the UK suppliers above would be cheaper.

Lastly, we also have a fire blanket. Also small, easy to mount and cheap. We also use ours if we're barbecuing and there's and risk of scorching the ground underneath. They are easily refolded and a few charcol marks don't matter.

I hope this is helpful - and that you never need it!

Greetings from Switzerland!

Element extinguisher.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I searched the forum but it seemed no-one has fully answered all my questions, so here's the results of my research and purchase. I must point out that I am in no way an expert on fires, so please do not take anything you read here as Gospel - decide for yourselves!

My wife and I fly hot-air balloons. Sitting a few thousand feet in the air in a combustible basket together with 4 tanks full of liquid propane makes you think a bit about fire extinguishers so when we bought our California, definitely on the list!

Common sense first. If there's a fire, get everyone out! Your insurance will pay for a new Van (which you lusted after anyway)! Fight the fire from outside the van.

From previous experiences, there are three problems with conventional extinguishers.
1) They are very heavy chunks of steel that you do not want flying around if you are involved in an accident.
3) They apparently make a total mess that is sometimes corrosive, so you might as well write off the Van anyway!
4) They are bulky and heavy and mounting them securely and not in the way is a challenge in a California, where every item has to justify the room it takes.

Armed with Google and YouTube, I found Element sticks. These are available as either 50 second or 100 second versions. Other manufacturers last much less long and are around the same price.
I couldn't find a European supplier, but once my US-ordered unit arrived at our home in Switzerland and I saw it was manufactured in Italy, I was able to backtrack and find UK and worldwide suppliers. I've attached a picture of the packaging from my unit. UK units may have different packaging - this is a US unit imported from Canada (go figure), but all units I have seen have "ELEMENT" wrote large on the actual stick, are half red, half black and have yellow caps at each end.

1) These units weigh about 200g. Diameter 35mm, length 260mm. Think Running Baton size.
2) There is no mention of "Life" on the extinguisher. The propaganda on the UK site says "No servicing or maintenance, 15 year shelf life, no expiry date (?)", so I can be reasonably confident it's going to work in 6-7 years time, unlike conventional extinguishers.
3) These apparantly leave no mess. The products of use combined with a fire are a small amount of Potassium and water vapour.
4) Very small and light. Supplied with a robust plastic clip that I plan to bolt to the steel base of a seat, where it's easily accessable but not in the way.

Almost forgot, the blurb on the extinguisher says "Class A, B, C & K fires". Class B is what you need for Butane/Propane/Petrol fires. "K" is for your chip pan fires! (Chip pans in a Cali)?

This type of extinguisher apparently "eats" Oxygen, which and fire needs and thus kills the fire. One review I saw said that in an enclosed space like a van, the best procedure is to get everyone out, light the device, place it inside the van and close the doors, leaving the stick to do its work.

We have the 50 second version, there's also a 100 second variant. Ours cost the equivalent of £70 but we sourced ours from the US so I would think the UK suppliers above would be cheaper.

Lastly, we also have a fire blanket. Also small, easy to mount and cheap. We also use ours if we're barbecuing and there's and risk of scorching the ground underneath. They are easily refolded and a few charcol marks don't matter.

View attachment 91214
I have been reading about them. Thinking of buying. In the videos of them working you do need to be near the fire and they are affected by wind(aren’t we all). And I don’t see any UK certification.

I saw these last year and was in the process of purchasing one but they always seem to be out of stock so when we went to the NEC this year managed to purchase one they have some excellent reviews and seem to be a very reliable way of putting out a fire without causing residual damage.

There is a post / thread on the forum from a member who had his Beach, I think broken into and a fire started on a front seat. The fire went out spontaneously without causing any other damage, apart from the seat cushion.
The vehicle was written off it wasn't very old due to smoke damage to the interior.
The owner bought it off the Insurance company and spent a lot of time and effort cleaning inside, replacing seat etc. I'm not sure how successful he was.
My point is , a non- damaging fire extinguisher is of little use if the main damage is caused by a small fire and the insurance is going to write the vehicle off anyway.
Get out, stay out and good insurance must be the main priorities.

Abs
There is a post / thread on the forum from a member who had his Beach, I think broken into and a fire started on a front seat. The fire went out spontaneously without causing any other damage, apart from the seat cushion.
The vehicle was written off it wasn't very old due to smoke damage to the interior.
The owner bought it off the Insurance company and spent a lot of time and effort cleaning inside, replacing seat etc. I'm not sure how successful he was.
My point is , a non- damaging fire extinguisher is of little use if the main damage is caused by a small fire and the insurance is going to write the vehicle off anyway.
Absolutely agree! But I still want my extinguisher.

I have been reading about them. Thinking of buying. In the videos of them working you do need to be near the fire and they are affected by wind(aren’t we all). And I don’t see any UK certification.
Yours is a very good point. I will contact the UK agents, ask them and post back.

But it is also in my opinion (which never seems to matter very much on here) up to the individual to make his or her own mind up whether to challenge the fire or not myself if it looks like it was getting out of control I would would not challenge the fire if there was a chance I could do something I would and that would be up to me it could also save a lot of damage for other people nearby I have seen seven units destroyed by fire once at the Grand Prix and that was just a simple barbecue but nobody had a fire extinguisher handy.

I think the benefit of these stick fire extinguishers come into their own if you have a small fire near electronics as the fire will be extinguished quickly without the normal liquid or powder causing damage to the materials or electronics. This would save days of cleanup and replacement cost of control units etc. so useful if not going through your insurance for minor damage.
Of course if the fire spreads quickly get out and stay out and prey your insurance covers you (they rarely pay you the full replacement value of the vehicle and belongings :( ).

But it is also in my opinion (which never seems to matter very much on here) up to the individual to make his or her own mind up whether to challenge the fire or not myself if it looks like it was getting out of control I would would not challenge the fire if there was a chance I could do something I would and that would be up to me it could also save a lot of damage for other people nearby I have seen seven units destroyed by fire once at the Grand Prix and that was just a simple barbecue but nobody had a fire extinguisher handy.
A different scenario. In that case a liquid or powder extinguisher would have been more useful. These Firestick extinguishers seem to be more advantageous in confined spaces than the open air.

I think the benefit of these stick fire extinguishers come into their own if you have a small fire near electronics as the fire will be extinguished quickly without the normal liquid or powder causing damage to the materials or electronics. This would save days of cleanup and replacement cost of control units etc. so useful if not going through your insurance for minor damage.
Of course if the fire spreads quickly get out and stay out and prey your insurance covers you (they rarely pay you the full replacement value of the vehicle and belongings :( ).
An electronic fire in a California would probably mean it was a write off with the cost of diagnostics, rewiring and replacement running into many thousands, so very unlikely to be anything but an insurance claim.

I agree with your opinion :). But just imagine your GP fire was in fact a fire in a tent next to your pitch and people were in danger. In such circumstances, I'd grab the Firestick and go!

An electronic fire in a California would probably mean it was a write off with the cost of diagnostics, rewiring and replacement running into many thousands, so very unlikely to be anything but an insurance claim.
I was thinking of a much smaller fire, like a cheap usb charger bursting into flames, a Firestick would be perfect :)

I was thinking of a much smaller fire, like a cheap usb charger bursting into flames, a Firestick would be perfect :)
Ahh. I’ve got a good oven mitten I would use to grab the item and chuck outside. Mind you I don’t have an awning attached to the van.

Don’t get me wrong. I have a powder extinguisher. All I’m saying is the fact that a Firestick might cause less damage compared to a liquid or powder extinguisher is immaterial. The fire itself is likely to have caused sufficient damage that an Insurer would probably write the vehicle off
I have a fire blanket , my insulated mitten and a powder extinguisher.

Ahh. I’ve got a good oven mitten I would use to grab the item and chuck outside. Mind you I don’t have an awning attached to the van.

Don’t get me wrong. I have a powder extinguisher. All I’m saying is the fact that a Firestick might cause less damage compared to a liquid or powder extinguisher is immaterial. The fire itself is likely to have caused sufficient damage that an Insurer would probably write the vehicle off
I have a fire blanket , my insulated mitten and a powder extinguisher.
Any recommendations on fire blankets? Are they all fibreglass? Or is that just the cheap ones? Happy to spend a little more for something decent.

The fire stick idea
Hi all,

View attachment 91214

The fire stick looks like an interesting idea - never seen / used one - but looks best for confined space fires. In looking at a few online, I see CE marks but no BS or ISO standards reference.

Training I’ve had says to fight the fire if you’re able (have the right equipment and knowledge), and if you have a safe and immediate exit route (‘Safe’ means safe from flame and smoke). When fighting a fire you may be able to contain it to prevent or limit further loss or danger. Using a small extinguisher, it’s improbable that a fire can be completely put out, and re-ignition is likely due to the heat source remaining hot. Any decent fire warrants a fire service call out to make sure the fire is out. Also, be aware of the short duration of most portable extinguishers, even larger models - it’s not wise to think that the extinguisher will protect you.

A fire blanket is useful to smother flames - standard use is for hot oil etc., but also can be used to extinguisher someone’s clothing. Given the use of bbq’s when camping, this is a good idea.

Personally, we do travel with a dry powder extinguisher (they cover the biggest range of fire classes), with an expectation of subduing a bbq fire, or caught canvas tent / awning. A real vehicle fire is not something I’d contemplate fighting with a portable device.

Ah, in the good old days when BCF was legal……… it would put out anything! In seconds and almost damage free. I have used it to put out massive oil fires when fire training (aviation related) and always felt safe when flying a hot air balloon if BCF fitted. Same thing when I flew aeroplanes for a living……. Can’t beat the stuff….

This post added nothing useful I have to confess……sorry. Just a blatant trip down nostalgia lane (I’ll get me coat!) :)

On a more serious note, you have made me think about this. We don’t have one on our van so I will look at this. True, probably safer to cut and run in the event of a fire but for those occasions when a bigger fire could have been easily prevented they might well have their place.

Hi all,

View attachment 91214
Hi all,

View attachment 91214
Hi all,

View attachment 91214

Some of this information is incorrect.
Flammable gases such as propane/butane are C class not B class.
Electrical fires have no letter rating but used to be E class, certainly not C class.
Cooking oil fires are F class not K class.
BS5306-3/8 is the British Standard for fire extinguisher provision and maintenance. As the vast majority of persons on this site (and 100% following this post) are from the UK, it may be beneficial to quote from the British Standard.

I went for one of the Fire sticks about a year ago. It was a combination of a number of benefits that 'sold' it to me. Long activation time (mine is 50sec), lightweight, no residual mess, and long expiry date. Got mine from a boat Chandlers. Bit more difficult to run away from a fire on a boat !
IMG_3781.JPG

Also got a fireblanket between my coolbox and kitchen unit.

Some of this information is incorrect.
Flammable gases such as propane/butane are C class not B class.
Electrical fires have no letter rating but used to be E class, certainly not C class.
Cooking oil fires are F class not K class.
BS5306-3/8 is the British Standard for fire extinguisher provision and maintenance. As the vast majority of persons on this site (and 100% following this post) are from the UK, it may be beneficial to quote from the British Standard.
Ah - thanks for the corrections. I can only guess that since my unit came from the US that the classes are different. I just blindly copied them from the packing.
Still a good device in my opinion.

Ah, in the good old days when BCF was legal……… it would put out anything! In seconds and almost damage free. I have used it to put out massive oil fires when fire training (aviation related) and always felt safe when flying a hot air balloon if BCF fitted. Same thing when I flew aeroplanes for a living……. Can’t beat the stuff….

This post added nothing useful I have to confess……sorry. Just a blatant trip down nostalgia lane (I’ll get me coat!) :)
I have to confess I have a couple of Halon extinguishers that we have in the balloon basket. A propane fire in a wicker balloon basket tends to be deadly, so I'm not too worried about legality or the ozone layer!

I went for one of the Fire sticks about a year ago. It was a combination of a number of benefits that 'sold' it to me. Long activation time (mine is 50sec), lightweight, no residual mess, and long expiry date. Got mine from a boat Chandlers. Bit more difficult to run away from a fire on a boat !
View attachment 91268

Also got a fireblanket between my coolbox and kitchen unit.
Yep, we will mount it similarly near the door, but have an extra cupboard where yours is mounted. Probably on the passenger seat base. UI will try to find a place where it can easily be grabbed from the front cab and also from the back. Same with our fire blanket.

I have to confess I have a couple of Halon extinguishers that we have in the balloon basket. A propane fire in a wicker balloon basket tends to be deadly, so I'm not too worried about legality or the ozone layer!
Haha, it’s only an issue if you use it……. And then who cares if you are alive and safe!

In the UK it was still legal to have on the flight deck when I retired (2018)…… I stopped flying balloons in 2003 so not sure the status for them over here. As it happens I spent many years flying hot air balloons professionally and flew in many countries but never managed to fly in Château-d'Oex :(

Back