Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Installing inverter sockets in Beach

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
Has anyone fitted an inverter socket in their beach? We have a 3 pin socket on our beach for use on EHU but would really like a couple of inverter sockets on the back of the passenger seat or our kitchen pod to plug into when on the move/not on ehu. I fitted a double socket in our T4 which we could switch between mains or inverter but can't remember how we did it! I found it really useful for charging phones/laptop etc when only a 3 pin would charge from completely flat.

Any tips or pics from anyone else who has done this would be great.

Why not just use the 12v sockets to charge phones laptops etc.
You waste an awful lot of battery power stepping it up to 240v only for the plug tranformer to reduce it back to very often 5v.
You only have 1 battery in a Beach, I would save that to run the fridge or coolbox to keep the beer cold:thumb:happy

Why not just use the 12v sockets to charge phones laptops etc.
You waste an awful lot of battery power stepping it up to 240v only for the plug tranformer to reduce it back to very often 5v.
You only have 1 battery in a Beach, I would save that to run the fridge or coolbox to keep the beer cold:thumb:happy
Like I said the 12v chargers we have for phones and my laptop don't seem to be powerful enough to charge a completely flat battery so we end up using an inverter but it would be nice to have it all a bit neater and plug straight into the side of our kitchen pod

I installed this one. I removed the 12V plug and connected the cable straight to the leisure battery. Sits on the floor behind the LH seat. https://goo.gl/2HnrB7

41SwrvaOUQL.jpg

I plug this charger (upside down) in the inverter to charge our phones, Kindles and MacBook: https://goo.gl/ZwXBMz
31JvKC0WftL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Works fine so far!

If you get a 12v charger with decent ampage you will not have that problem. Inverters arent the most efficient use of a leisure battery in my humble opinion and are generally designed for use when the engine is running. Unless the device can only work from 240v I wouldn't bother with one.

Many cheap 12v chargers sold in garages are 1a or even less, this proves insufficient for modern smart phones and tablets to get a fast charge.

I use one of these and it charges just as quickly from 12v as from 240v even with my ipad2.
81lv6-RuNsL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015ORSC0S/?tag=eliteelect-21

We have a decent 2.4 car usb charger but it's the macbook which is the main charging issue as we use it for films for the children when travelling so would be on the move when needing the inverter most of the time but it's a nice to have option for other things too.

I installed this one. I removed the 12V plug and connected the cable straight to the leisure battery. Sits on the floor behind the LH seat. https://goo.gl/2HnrB7

41SwrvaOUQL.jpg

I plug this charger (upside down) in the inverter to charge our phones, Kindles and MacBook: https://goo.gl/ZwXBMz
31JvKC0WftL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Works fine so far!
That's helpful thanks. Would still like something in our pod but this would be a good alternative.

We have a decent 2.4 car usb charger but it's the macbook which is the main charging issue as we use it for films for the children when travelling so would be on the move when needing the inverter most of the time but it's a nice to have option for other things too.
I have a Lavazza 12v charger for my Mac works a treat. Does take up a socket all to itself though.

I have a Lavazza 12v charger for my Mac works a treat. Does take up a socket all to itself though.

At slidepods we fit pure sinewave inverters into vans all the time generally our conversions have either 110ah or 220ah of power to call on. If memory serves me correctly a beach only has 70ah which if you are running lignts and a coolbox will be depleated in no tim if you start converting 12v to 240v due to the power lost in the form of heat.

We recently decided we needed a nuw laptop for use at trade shows as we allend a lot. We looked at lots but in the end decided to go for a microsoft surface as it could be charged from usb. It actually was about the same price as installing a descent inverter anyway.

At slidepods we fit pure sinewave inverters into vans all the time generally our conversions have either 110ah or 220ah of power to call on. If memory serves me correctly a beach only has 70ah which if you are running lignts and a coolbox will be depleated in no tim if you start converting 12v to 240v due to the power lost in the form of heat.

We recently decided we needed a nuw laptop for use at trade shows as we allend a lot. We looked at lots but in the end decided to go for a microsoft surface as it could be charged from usb. It actually was about the same price as installing a descent inverter anyway.

Ever had the idea to bring your great insidepods/slidepods to continental Europe? I'm not an expert at all, however I got the impression that there is a "need" of inside pods around here :)

So where do you fit/mount, batteries that size in the Beach...???
That's a massive amount of extra amperage compared to the standard 70Ah

I think mac books charge at something like 8A, hence why USB isn't ideal. You can get additional add on power packs like Hyperjuice.

I spoke to Jonny today about a websasto heater and we discussed larger batteries whilst talking about it.

I believe he said that you can change the seat plate on the beach to fit a larger 100 or 110ah battery (cant recall exactly sorry) in the same space. I guess that goes for either seat?

Must admit its tempting as the 70ah is fine for lights and the odd phone charge, but when my Waeco fridge is in its a couple of days use tops.

I spoke to Jonny today about a websasto heater and we discussed larger batteries whilst talking about it.

I believe he said that you can change the seat plate on the beach to fit a larger 100 or 110ah battery (cant recall exactly sorry) in the same space. I guess that goes for either seat?

Must admit its tempting as the 70ah is fine for lights and the odd phone charge, but when my Waeco fridge is in its a couple of days use tops.

Cheers Matt, that's interesting. I wonder what the consequence of changing the baseis. i.e Does it raise the seat height...???
Must admit, would like to squeeze in a bigger/better battery. My old T4 I managed to fit a leisure battery in the engine compartment, which was a great place and out of the way. I'm sure I've checked with he T5.1 and it's not big enough

I can get a 110ah under the passenger seat and I can squeeze another 110ah under the drivers seat giving you a total of 220ah an upgrade like this would be in the region of £400 plus vat including the batteries. We could also add in ×2 of our seat base covers, a digital volt meter, double usb and a 12v socket on the seatbases for around £75 plus vat and if you wanted a sinewave inverter we could addin a 350w one or 800w one with a couple of 240v sockets on the seat base aswell.

This would be a great upgrade to any beach but if you are having a retro fit webasto it is tricky to fit the second battery.

If you get a 12v charger with decent ampage you will not have that problem. Inverters arent the most efficient use of a leisure battery in my humble opinion and are generally designed for use when the engine is running. Unless the device can only work from 240v I wouldn't bother with one.

Many cheap 12v chargers sold in garages are 1a or even less, this proves insufficient for modern smart phones and tablets to get a fast charge.

I use one of these and it charges just as quickly from 12v as from 240v even with my ipad2.
81lv6-RuNsL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015ORSC0S/?tag=eliteelect-21
Sometimes have similar in Aldi. The 2.4A usb is ideal for smartphones and tablets. 1.5A will not give iPhone a thorough charge in my experience.

Back