Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance: How do declare annual milleage?

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
HI,

After a year owning my Cali it has more than 20000 miles.... 5000 miles more than what I've declared, so I had to call my insurance company to extend them (paying the difference plus the change fee).

Do you calculate and declare all the miles when renewing?
Do you declare less miles and update them when surpassed the declared?

Thanks guys

Depends on the Insurance. I have no limit on mine.
Limiting the milage, smaller premium, But, having to increase it means paying for the excess + Admin Fee.
Basically, if you have a milage limited policy, you will only be covered for the milage limit. An accident after this limit has been reached could result in No Cover.
I, personally, would ask the Insurance company what to do in these circumstances.
Could be cheaper to increase the milage limit.

My estimates have always been very much the same for years as we only have the Cali our estimate is close to what we do == many policies list under 10k & 10k to unlimited as price

HI,

After a year owning my Cali it has more than 20000 miles.... 5000 miles more than what I've declared, so I had to call my insurance company to extend them (paying the difference plus the change fee).

Do you calculate and declare all the miles when renewing?
Do you declare less miles and update them when surpassed the declared?

Thanks guys
I'd recommend being entirely transparent. If your insurer suspects that you have done more miles than you are declaring then they may declare your cover invalid - although I've never heard of this.

I guess the issue is proof. I've never had an insurer ask for evidence of mileage at the start of a policy. However if you are insuring a new vehicle then it's pretty obvious.

I have insured for 8,000 miles which may be a bit light. If I look like exceeding it I will call them in advance. I've already discussed is possibility with them. They have advised that they will not penalise me as such but would charge a £25 administration fee to amend the policy plus the difference in premium at the time of the change.

So it's probably best to estimate as realistically as you can and then to bite the bullet and advisor your insurer before you exceed the threshold if that is going to happen.

Remember mileages are recorded by dealers at services (and at the annual MOT test in the UK) so your insurer can probably find out real mileages if they want to.

I see.

I'm very transparent with my insurance company. Please, read the following lines bearing in mind I am, and want to be, 100% honest with my insurance company.

My Cali is now one year old and, despite I know I use to drive a huge amount of miles with my former car, I was unable to tell how many miles will I do in one yerar. Tha's because I travel a lot and, as soon as I can, I come to Spain driving. I guessed I would make 15.000 miles but I couldn't be more wrong and, around Chrismars I asked to rise the amount of miles to 30.000 miles based on the trend.

My polcicy period ends this month and I wont do 23.000 miles and..... believe me 7.000 miles are expensive to insure. Aside of the 25£ fees for the change, the premium also grew up.

It's very difficult to me tell how many miles I'll do in next year, and how many of them abroad (when an European wide insurance). There are just many factors which makes your premium flight up.

This year I think I should ask for the same milleage I've made last year, 23.000 miles, but how knows. To me that milleage thing and days abroad are absolutely new, never seen it in Spanish insurance (but they learn quick :Nailbiting)

@Weshgas, having no mileage limits (or days abroad) it's very interesting, what's your company? For some unknown reason I got no many options, but just in case.

I see.

I'm very transparent with my insurance company. Please, read the following lines bearing in mind I am, and want to be, 100% honest with my insurance company.

My Cali is now one year old and, despite I know I use to drive a huge amount of miles with my former car, I was unable to tell how many miles will I do in one yerar. Tha's because I travel a lot and, as soon as I can, I come to Spain driving. I guessed I would make 15.000 miles but I couldn't be more wrong and, around Chrismars I asked to rise the amount of miles to 30.000 miles based on the trend.

My polcicy period ends this month and I wont do 23.000 miles and..... believe me 7.000 miles are expensive to insure. Aside of the 25£ fees for the change, the premium also grew up.

It's very difficult to me tell how many miles I'll do in next year, and how many of them abroad (when an European wide insurance). There are just many factors which makes your premium flight up.

This year I think I should ask for the same milleage I've made last year, 23.000 miles, but how knows. To me that milleage thing and days abroad are absolutely new, never seen it in Spanish insurance (but they learn quick :Nailbiting)

@Weshgas, having no mileage limits (or days abroad) it's very interesting, what's your company? For some unknown reason I got no many options, but just in case.
Caravan Club. However, I believe they will not insure the Beach as they, wait for the howls of protest, do not consider it is a Campervan.

Caravan Club. However, I believe they will not insure the Beach as they, wait for the howls of protest, do not consider it is a Campervan.
I have recently insured our new Beach with the Caravan club without any problems at all.

I have recently insured our new Beach with the Caravan club without any problems at all.
Good to know. But someone had posted some time ago that they had been refused cover. However I cannot find that thread now.

Good to know. But someone had posted some time ago that they had been refused cover. However I cannot find that thread now.
I posted that WG. CC would not insure last year. Maybe they have got themselves upto date.

I've asked two weeks ago and they says no to Beachs because have not fix kitchen, gas facilities, etc....

:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Just called Caravan Club :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

They don't insure VW California Beach :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

For the is not a motorhome neither a car, it's something, live campervan, which they don't insure

:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Never had such a frustrating experience trying to unsure a vehicle in my life :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Just called Caravan Club :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

They don't insure VW California Beach :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

For the is not a motorhome neither a car, it's something, live campervan, which they don't insure

:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Never had such a frustrating experience trying to unsure a vehicle in my life :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang
That's put the cat amongst the pigeons.