Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior button lights and shifter lights always on

Loopster D.

Loopster D.

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Hello VW bus friends,
I have a 2016 T6 Beach. The starter battery hesitated before starting then one day it dis not start at all. So I replaced the starter battery.
We recently slept in her for the first time in a year and I noticed the interior button lights that glow red and the interior shifter lights that glow white never turn off. This was not the case when I first bought the van and do not know how to turn them off.
I do not know if the new battery triggered this or it was draining the system before to require the new battery but it definitely is a problem that did not happen before.
I have the keys out of the ignition, no plug in on my version, no parking lights on, no doors open, and no clue how to trouble shoot this after reading hundreds of entries here.

Thanks for reading this far. IMG_0533.jpeg

B
IMG_0532.jpeg

The lights should definitely go out either after a period of time after unlocking (without key in ignition) or after a short period of time after locking the van.
The BCM controls the switch on / off.

in your picture the start stop button and parking sensor button are illuminated, was the key in the ignition ?

have you replaced any internal light bulbs at all?
had any work carried out on the van electrics ?
Do the courtesy lights come on when you open the doors (when the correct rocker switch setting is selected) ?
Do the front footwell lights come on and go out when the van is locked unlocked and door opened / closed etc?

Last edited:
The lights should definitely go out either after a period of time after unlocking (without key in ignition) or after a short period of time after locking the van.
The BCM controls the switch on / off.

in your picture the start stop button and parking sensor button are illuminated, was the key in the ignition ?

have you replaced any internal light bulbs at all?
had any work carried out on the van electrics ?
Do the courtesy lights come on when you open the doors (when the correct rocker switch setting is selected) ?
Do the front footwell lights come on and go out when the van is locked unlocked and door opened / closed etc?
I want to thank you dearly for such a thoughtful response. I was away and left my darling van at the local Spanish official VW service center for the 3rd time in a month and they fixed nothing. It is so pathetic so I had to give it a break.

The images above with the lights illuminated are constantly on without the key in the ignition. I only discovered this when I slept in it and recognized this new phenomenon. The lights are very subtle in the daylight.

I have had electrical issues but the van has worked for 7 years with various warning lights that the service centers pretend to fix but never do. For instance, the extra heater for sleeping always shows a fault but works fine.

I have a sneaky idea the T6.0 was buggy electricly because they quickly came out with the T6.1.

No special light bulbs have been replaced just a new battery. The first in 7 years because it was hesitating to start.

Yes the normal interior lights function as the doors open. Yes the footwell lights work as normal.

This van is like a kid. She is my 4th and only vehicle style for 35 years. I will work with the funky oddities but I just don’t want to get stranded with a dead battery. The new battery seems strong so far.

I plan on getting a jumper mini battery just to be prepared with my usual jumper cables.

I appreciate your thoroughness and authenticity. You are so much more real and helpful than multiple Spanish VW dealerships. I think I will just drive to Germany on a road trip and let them fix their kind. It has worked great before.

Thanks

the two lights on your dash “A” & “P” should only illuminate when the ignition is on .
Further they should only illuminate when :
A = start stop = when the start stop is active , there is no light , when the start stop is deactivated the light is illuminated - the default setting is not illuminated and start stop working ! Your illuminated light would indicate that start stop is faulty and not switched on
P = parking sensor = should only illuminate when reverse gear is selected !
if yours shows constantly ? There is a fault !

both issues are controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module) an electronic device fitted to the vehicle , specific to the vehicle / Vin number and the vehicle spec. If this device is faulty it will not control the vehicle functions correctly.
A new BCM can be fitted and coded by a Dealer.
if this has been faulty for some time (within warrant period from new) it should be replaced Free Of Charge. Or the issues corrected FOC.

I post this for future reference.
Here is the nighttime updated photo of all my lights being on with no key in the ignition and the van not started for 2 days. I see the Body Control Monitor is 500€ and something is definitely needing some love. Thanks for the comments.

tempImagedwoOiQ.png

Your BCM is faulty

The BCM is designed to last the lifetime of a vehicle, claims to the contrary should be referred to Trading standards

Back