Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

interior lights

D

daveTT

I am looking to change the interior light on my pre facelift Cali to LED's does anybody have a link to
The correct ones to order
Thanks in advance daveT

All my interior lighting are led's plus the extra light fitting i have installed. I used a company called "ultraleds" very good and helpful

John

Thanks for your help guys I will spend the day on the internet :thumb

Hello
I would suggest you to buy 1 only for trial. Some of them have nice warm colour, but others give very nasty hospital-like ambiance.
if you do not like the particular one, buy different for the other spots.
Regards
Andrzej

Probably stating the obvious but is this done to prolong the life of the leisure battery?

Yes thats the plan although I think they give a better light :thumb

rippers said:
Probably stating the obvious but is this done to prolong the life of the leisure battery?

1 halogen bulb takes 1.2 Amps, 1 LED takes about 0.2 Amp, which is quite dramatic difference.

4 halogens is 4.8 Amperes, which in reference of fridge which takes 3.6 (when active) or heater of average 4 Amperes is significant additional drain.
It is really worth to go for the LEDs.

Regards
Andrzej

1 halogen bulb takes 1.2 Amps, 1 LED takes about 0.2 Amp, which is quite dramatic difference.

Not sure it's that high with the halogen bulbs - each bulb is 5 watts, therefore the current each bulb consumes is 5/12 amps, or .417 amps, therefore all 5 fitted in the Cali will consume a total of 2.08 amps.

I have changed my bulbs for 22mm diameter 7-element LEDs (anything larger will not fit the holder)
Of the 5 G4 5 watt halogens, I changed the 2 either side of the sliding door, and the 2 over the hob/fridge area for blue LEDs, and the one in the rear for a warm white LED. I found it easier to take the whole fitting out of the trim panel, disconnect it from the wiring, pop the opaque cover off and change the bulb. Very easy to do.

T5sevilla said:

Not sure it's that high with the halogen bulbs - each bulb is 5 watts, therefore the current each bulb consumes is 5/12 amps, or .417 amps, therefore all 5 fitted in the Cali will consume a total of 2.08 amps.

I have changed my bulbs for 22mm diameter 7-element LEDs (anything larger will not fit the holder)
Of the 5 G4 5 watt halogens, I changed the 2 either side of the sliding door, and the 2 over the hob/fridge area for blue LEDs, and the one in the rear for a warm white LED. I found it easier to take the whole fitting out of the trim panel, disconnect it from the wiring, pop the opaque cover off and change the bulb. Very easy to do.

Right, I have 20 Watts bulb installed in one spot, I forgot the original were 5 watts. But then the 20 watts (1,2 Amps) halogen is as bright as 0.2 watts LED....

For 20 watts, you will be drawing 1.6 Amps (20/12)

Be careful though - I replaced a blown 5 watt bulb (not realising it was 5 watt) with a 10 watt one, and I experienced heat discolouration/distortion inside the light housing - another good reason to change to LEDs!

T5sevilla said:
For 20 watts, you will be drawing 1.6 Amps (20/12)

Be careful though - I replaced a blown 5 watt bulb (not realising it was 5 watt) with a 10 watt one, and I experienced heat discolouration/distortion inside the light housing - another good reason to change to LEDs!

Well the central panel shows 1.2 Amps current for my 20 watts bulb, perhaps it is lower wattage in reality. But you are right, I will, go back to 5 watts halogen. I simply wanted to have one spot darker than the LEDs, and bought the lowest halogen in the supermarket, it happened to be 20 watts. Now I realized that the original one was 5 watts, and need to dig it out in the garage...

Andresz said:
Hello
I would suggest you to buy 1 only for trial. Some of them have nice warm colour, but others give very nasty hospital-like ambiance.
if you do not like the particular one, buy different for the other spots.
Regards
Andrzej
My understanding is "the nice warm colour" is a 2500-3500 K (Kalvin) bulb. The cold colour a
4000 K (Kalvin) bulb. Hope this helps :thumb

LEDs can give a great light and use less current. The big snag with them is when you do a lot of miles over very bad roads, particularly with 'washboard', they fall apart - at least that's my own experience.

flyinQ

flyingQ said:
LEDs can give a great light and use less current. The big snag with them is when you do a lot of miles over very bad roads, particularly with 'washboard', they fall apart - at least that's my own experience.

flyinQ

Send them back then. Should not fall apart !!

Where were the washboards you had fun with ?? I've had fun with them in Africa, go fast enough & you don't feel them ! At least that's the theory, I gave up as did not want to go that fast. Defiantly destroy vehicles.

The bulbs definitely can't be sent back, their remainders were thrown away in Central America (see outside Europe strand).
As you found out there's a limit how fast you can go, even with tyre pressures at around 25psi. Mind you, the Cali took to it much better than I thought!

Cheers

flyinQ

Back