Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intermittent Clonk Bang Driver side footwell T5

M

MidgleyVW

VIP Member
Having had no problems at all for 5 years I seem to be having a string of problems . The clutch went for no apparent reason and had to have that replaced even tough it had only done 45K . I decided to have the cam belt done and the water pump and the aux belt done ...just to make incase my luck ran out !
Now I have a clonk and a bang in the front drivers side . Sounds like I have run over a cat or something , its quite loud ! It happens at anytime but more so at low revs when setting off or slow climbing a hill and like I say its as though ive got something stuck on the tyre and its flapping around whatever it is . I took the under tray off just to see if I could see anything but nothing ?. I went for a run with the tray off and it still does it . Any ideas i'm starting to get wound up about it !
Thanks Ray

Have they put everything back in place after they took out the gearbox? Then I am thinking of the right (you live in the UK or left driving country?) drive shaft from the gearbox to the wheel. It contains of 2 pieces. One straight axle from the gearbox to a bracket with a bearing. Then the cardan shaft to the wheel. Maybe something is not fixed properly?

@MidgleyVW
I’ll get my crystal ball out.
What model?
What year?
Not enough information
Im getting the numbers now .Somebodys talking, do you know a John ?
No?
Everyone knows a john...
I can see a 14 and a 13 and a 6 and a 2.

140ps
6 speed don't know what the 2 is yet.

Anti roll bar bushes.

is it worse turning left or right? unseated or broken spring in the suspension strut?

I had exactly the same on my T5 Cali when it was 4 years old, after several visits to Volkswagen it turned out to be CV joint

I had a clunk which seemed to be coming from the footwell area. After much investigation it turned out to be the suspension strut top bearing.
It was noticeable mainly on uneven road surfaces at low speed.

For a Starting point, I would check your drop links, I had a really “clonk” after I had my old van lowered, it sounded like I went down a pot hole, but the clonk was a really abrupt bang that you could feel through the floor pan.

it turned out that the brand new drop link was causing the issue.

As mentioned above bushes and engine / gear box mounts can cause all sorts of strange clonks

Back