Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Internal windscreen blind

Must admit i am on my 3rd set of covers ( not including the ones that come as standard) i had the external padded ones that cover screen and side doors , with roll up front , ditched those as to bulky and a pain to store and take down when wet , had the Brandrup internal door covers and external windscreen cover, work well and easier to store , now purchased the Brandrup internal windscreen cover to match door ones , easy to store in top bed and no more wet screens to bring in , my personal hate of suckers and the marks it leaves on the glass, were as the brandrup users velcro on door frames that are hidden and the windscreen one is at the very top on the black part and again fairly well hidden , the only problem with the intenal windscreen cover is that it goes in between the dash and windscreen at the bottom, and if you have the rubber strip ( stop stuff falling down there ) it is a bit baggy, so i may alter the screen cover or remove rubber every time i fit ! Not sure what to do ?? Has anyone else had this problem

Must admit i am on my 3rd set of covers ( not including the ones that come as standard) i had the external padded ones that cover screen and side doors , with roll up front , ditched those as to bulky and a pain to store and take down when wet , had the Brandrup internal door covers and external windscreen cover, work well and easier to store , now purchased the Brandrup internal windscreen cover to match door ones , easy to store in top bed and no more wet screens to bring in , my personal hate of suckers and the marks it leaves on the glass, were as the brandrup users velcro on door frames that are hidden and the windscreen one is at the very top on the black part and again fairly well hidden , the only problem with the intenal windscreen cover is that it goes in between the dash and windscreen at the bottom, and if you have the rubber strip ( stop stuff falling down there ) it is a bit baggy, so i may alter the screen cover or remove rubber every time i fit ! Not sure what to do ?? Has anyone else had this problem

Thanks for your post, until reading this I would have assumed that sticking Velcro in the interior was more unsightly than marks from suckers, but it sounds like it’s not on show. Do you think the Brandrup windscreen inside cover would stay put without the velcro? And could it be stored in the underbench drawer or is it too long? I don’t really want to put the roof up to access it as I might just use it briefly for shade or privacy whilst parked. I find the fitted windscreen blinds quite annoying, wish they were a better design. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
I think it would stay put , depends on how much outside light you want to cut out, the black velcro is right at the of the screen, to be honest, when I purchased my inside windscreen blind , the previous owner must have had the same cover, as the velcro was already in and i never noticed it , it would not think it would fit in the drawer unless you folded it to get it in there which would not be a good idea for longevity
Anymore questions please ask

@California Dreamer @Mowbotman @chockswahay @Scapa @66tim99 @Barbara @Jimmylondon07

Afternoon all, has anyone moved forward with their windscreen plans?

Like others, we’re not a fan of the T6.1 internal blinds, and find a big wet external cover a pain when we want to nip off site in the van for a few hours.

Ideally, we’d like something easy to attach (preferably without suckers) but that is also easy to fold up small (like the side cab window blinds). It seems like it should be easy to make something that could attach to the top of the existing front blinds and the clips above the rear view window.

Any suggestions gratefully received, especially if you have some photos please.

@California Dreamer @Mowbotman @chockswahay @Scapa @66tim99 @Barbara @Jimmylondon07

Like others, we’re not a fan of the T6.1 internal blinds, and find a big wet external cover a pain when we want to nip off site in the van for a few hours.

Ideally, we’d like something easy to attach (preferably without suckers) but that is also easy to fold up small (like the side cab window blinds). It seems like it should be easy to make something that could attach to the top of the existing front blinds and the clips above the rear view window.

Hi
I’ve stuck with my Rainbow external screen cover for now. Wish I’d got the latest version that lets you Velcro it open on the windscreen in the day, but it’s not much faff taking it off. I agree it’s not great in the wet, but I just roll it into its generously sized waterproof bag and dry it out at home or the next site
I do quite fancy some of those internal magnetic ones, but can’t bring myself to spend the money and have yet another thing to store…

Hi
I’ve stuck with my Rainbow external screen cover for now. Wish I’d got the latest version that lets you Velcro it open on the windscreen in the day, but it’s not much faff taking it off. I agree it’s not great in the wet, but I just roll it into its generously sized waterproof bag and dry it out at home or the next site
I do quite fancy some of those internal magnetic ones, but can’t bring myself to spend the money and have yet another thing to store…
Thanks Tim, I’ve found my way to the projectcamper.de site - think this could get expensive :D

@Corradobrit are you still pleased with your project camper blinds?

The Project Camper magnetic interior blinds offer a touch of colour in the cab and installed using magnets in just a few seconds. I store them flat in the boot on top of the external solar panel, which sits on the Really Useful Boxes.

View attachment 118325
Envious of these

Thanks Tim, I’ve found my way to the projectcamper.de site - think this could get expensive :D

@Corradobrit are you still pleased with your project camper blinds?
100%. Taken them away on multiple trips over the past year and exceeded expectations. They also work well to reduce heat in the cabin. The magnetic fixtures for the side pieces and installation of the windscreen cover behind the sunshades work great.
The only issue anyone might have is if they installed the strip of rubber at the bottom of the windscreen as the panel slots down into that gap.

Still sticking with my home made one, used it before on a T4 van and on 2 cars and when parked in the sun and modified for the van 6 years ago. Also use it to cover things in the van when parked if not putting all the blinds down. Takes up little space as either folded into a cushion cover or just thrown over things in the van. However the stickers leave marks on the screen.

Still sticking with my home made one, used it before on a T4 van and on 2 cars and when parked in the sun and modified for the van 6 years ago. Also use it to cover things in the van when parked if not putting all the blinds down. Takes up little space as either folded into a cushion cover or just thrown over things in the van. However the stickers leave marks on the screen.
Love that you can fold them into a cushion cover!

Hi I still haven’t done anything! Like the project camper blinds but too expensive.

We also didn’t want bulky external covers that can get wet. We also didn’t want sucker cup marks on the windows (friends have this type of cover, and the marks are always there). So we decided to try an Isolite internal cover set, from the club shop, about £110 two years ago. They’re thin, silver both sides, with Velcro fixings. We use the Velcro tabs on the side windows, but the windscreen cover is so snug, we don’t need to apply the Velcro there. Note for the windscreen there are 2 variants, for the larger centre housing behind the rear view mirror (traffic sign recognition, white line camera etc options on a 6.1) or the slimmer housing.

They work well at both insulating the glass, and blacking out the interior. In very cold weather, the covers sometimes have a slight condensation misting on the side next to the glass, but we quickly dry with a cloth before stowing on the upstairs bed. Our windscreen blind isn’t totally flat to the glass as we have a dash cam and a peage tag fitted. It’s still pretty effective though.

Overall, the covers work for us, and we don’t bother using the vw blinds, apart sometimes when parking in the daytime when it’s sunny.

[mention]Corradobrit [/mention]I’m wondering does the project camper blind roll up tight and would it fit easily in the wardrobe? The OEM bag on their website looks enormous!

[mention]Corradobrit [/mention]I’m wondering does the project camper blind roll up tight and would it fit easily in the wardrobe? The OEM bag on their website looks enormous!

Nope. The construction is quite rigid plus there are 2 aluminium rods in the windscreen section reducing flexibility. I find it easiest to store them flat in the boot or possibly in the roof.

As an update to this I’ve bought an Isolite inside to try on the windscreen - will give it a go but it’s not as well fitting as I thought and quite a faff to get it in the right place round the mirror. My external cover packs up smaller in the boot (although flat roof storage is of course possible with Isolite) and takes less time. I’m coming to the conclusion that I should stick with external for now and when wet use the fitted ones. When they get too tatty I’ll buy the magnetic Project Camper as it looks easy to fit and v good quality. Thank goodness I don’t procrastinate like this in other areas of life - must be a Cali thing

I'm guessing you haven't subscribed to the Midlife Swamper thread. That's where the real deal, professional procrastinators hangout.
Thanks to you, not only have the Swamper accoutrements suffered huge scope creep, but now I am in deep on projectcamper.de - I am a sucker for German precision.

Kid's school fees are optional it seems.

As an update to this I’ve bought an Isolite inside to try on the windscreen - will give it a go but it’s not as well fitting as I thought and quite a faff to get it in the right place round the mirror. My external cover packs up smaller in the boot (although flat roof storage is of course possible with Isolite) and takes less time. I’m coming to the conclusion that I should stick with external for now and when wet use the fitted ones. When they get too tatty I’ll buy the magnetic Project Camper as it looks easy to fit and v good quality. Thank goodness I don’t procrastinate like this in other areas of life - must be a Cali thing

Ours was a faff for the first few times fitting it, but now it’s sooo easy - my wife does it! She’s got real skill at making faffy things look simple. ;)

Back