Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intro from potential newbies

Steve_bcs

Steve_bcs

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi
Just introducing ourselves. My partner is recently retired and I'm not far behind & we are enthusuastic about buying a campervan. We both enjoy the great outdoors , long country & coastal walks etc but not camped for over 40 years! & never used a camper or motorhome before . Looked at a used Cali 2015 T5 Beach (£35k) and a new (£66k) T6 Ocean at VW dealer last weekend. Impressed with the ocean but cant run to that kind of money for a first time campervan. The beach is probably too basic for us so would be on the hunt for a used T5 SE. But .. Not sure about not having washroom facilities on board.
This site seems to be a mine of really useful information & we hope to learn as much as possible before taking the plunge.

Ttfn
Steve & Wendy

Hi. If going from zero knowledge to spending £40k I'd recommend hiring one for one or two weekends. Take your time. There will be some better deals after September.

Hi and welcome, I understand the dilemma about washroom. Bottom line, do you want to drive a toilet and washroom around ALL the time or make do with something more basic for a very small amount of the time. You can use a Cali all the time but you won't want to nip out to the shops in a bigger van. Good luck :thumb

Hi. If going from zero knowledge to spending £40k I'd recommend hiring one for one or two weekends. Take your time. There will be some better deals after September.

Good Advice, thanks. looking to hire one for a week in mid September. Any recommendations as to where in the North West to hire from?

Hi and welcome, I understand the dilemma about washroom. Bottom line, do you want to drive a toilet and washroom around ALL the time or make do with something more basic for a very small amount of the time. You can use a Cali all the time but you won't want to nip out to the shops in a bigger van. Good luck :thumb

Hi Thanks for the welcome .
What you say makes perfect sense and does provide a bit of clarity in the decision making process. Never thought of it as driving a toilet & I must admit, I am drawn to the practicality of the Cali from reading many threads so far.,:)

Genuine Californias are not that easy to find for rental but you can rent decent T5 conversions just about anywhere. You'll get a feel for whether a camper is for you by spending a few weekends away in one. For me the clue is in the name, 'camper van' - it's a van that you camp in rather than a motor home.

The beauty of the camper van is that it drives like a car and is manageable enough to pop down to the shops in as @motacyclist says above. When you go camping you simply find a spot to stop, pull on the handbrake, put up the roof, put the kettle on and you're camping.

If you want creature comforts then stay on a campsite with toilets and showers; if you want a toilet then you can carry a porta-potty for 'emergencies'. If that still sounds a bit basic, then a camper van may not be for you and you might be better off with a motor home or dare I say a caravan!

Don't know where in the NW you are but maybe try driving up into Ayrshire and picking up a VW camper from http://www.rockinvans.co.uk/ and then head up into the Highlands for a night or two where you can free camp and really see what owning a camper van is all about.

Hope you get the bug ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome , i never had a camper whatever and bought straightaway without hireing.
Afther 4 years no regrets....we only use the Cali for trips not as a daily driver.

Hi
Just introducing ourselves. My partner is recently retired and I'm not far behind & we are enthusuastic about buying a campervan. We both enjoy the great outdoors , long country & coastal walks etc but not camped for over 40 years! & never used a camper or motorhome before . Looked at a used Cali 2015 T5 Beach (£35k) and a new (£66k) T6 Ocean at VW dealer last weekend. Impressed with the ocean but cant run to that kind of money for a first time campervan. The beach is probably too basic for us so would be on the hunt for a used T5 SE. But .. Not sure about not having washroom facilities on board.
This site seems to be a mine of really useful information & we hope to learn as much as possible before taking the plunge.

Ttfn
Steve & Wendy
I use mine as my daily driver as well as for adventures. We never hired and have completed 34,000 miles in 18 months over half on our adventures. Now in France for another few weeks.
This is my perspective on the California.
A Motorhome is a caravan on wheels. Drives with the HGVs and parks with the HGVs.
A California or Campervan ( there are a very few exceptions to this) is a tent on wheels. Drives with the cars and parks with the cars. You can carry a portable toilet and a toilet tent if you wish. Unless you are into constant wild camping then most campsites have toilet and shower facilities. Nothing like a winter walk in the middle of nowhere and returning to my SE that is nice and warm and making a cup of tea before driving home.

Hi and welcome! IMO hiring is a great idea! I did not have the chance to do so and I knew from the beginning that I want a "van". It turned out to be a T5 SE (2nd hand, 10years old, about CHF 36k) and I never regret my decision. Driving around with a kitchen and a portapotti is okay to me as we use the Cali for trips and holidays not as a daily driver.
As @T4WFA said take your time to get the Cali you want - have fun researching.

Hello. My first 'campervan' was a panel van conversion with loo and washroom. Changed it after several years for a Cali last year. Both great vehicles, just different. I am enjoying the manoeuvrability of the Cali, and feel much more confident taking it to places where my previous van could not have gone - driving and parking much easier so more walking opportunities now available. Absolutely with WelshGas about the pleasures of a hot cup of tea in the van after a winter walk!
I didn't try either van before buying, but I'm sure it's a good idea. Have fun looking.

We rented (for 9 days) before we purchased a few months ago and it was the best thing we did confirming a Cali was for us.

The Cali will hold its value like no conversion should you decide to sell so worth bearing in mind.

You'll be able to find a T5 Cali SE in the 30k-40k price range and do look to Motorhome dealerships too as people occasionally put them in as part exchange.

As others have said you can use it as a daily drive if necessary and great to have spontaneous picnics etc. in the comfort of your own van.

Good luck with your decision!

The absence of on-board washroom facilities can be a drawback.

It is fairly easily mitigated by stopping on a full facilities campsite and parking close to the loo block. Something fairly rudimentary, such as a thetford 335, or even more space-saving boginabag, can then suffice for nighttime or lousy weather convenience.

For wild camping dependence on something like a boginabag, a small sink and every variety of wet wipe can get by but even then I find I need to stop, even for just one night, at a full-facility campsite.

However I find that inconvenience minor when compared to the huge satisfaction and joy the Cali gives when on the road.

Do look at the Westfalia City Joker if the loo feels important. What you gain with the loo (and shower) you lose in other areas (such is life), but the pros and cons for you should be examined before you jump into a Cali ownership. VW Campersales has some examples on his site.

I do like the tent on wheels analogy. We hired for a few days when deciding if the California was for us - moving up from tenting, we wanted to try out the van as an everyday drive (fabulous) and the beds for comfort for dodgy backs (upstairs comfy once you get up there). We hired locally from Vancations but I see that they have a branch in Carlisle - if that's not too far north. Also, if I remember correctly, the people at the VW Van Centre West Yorkshire (Batley or Cleckheatonish) don't do hires but they can recommend a company that does - they then offer to refund the "try before you buy" cost if you order with them afterwards.

Cheers, Wind Witch

We hired locally from Vancations but I see that they have a branch in Carlisle - if that's not too far north
Yes we hired from Vancations at Newcastle, nobody near for us in the northwest.

Just seen an ad for genuine 2011 Cali se £28995, that is pretty cheap.

It is fairly easily mitigated by stopping on a full facilities campsite and parking close to the loo block.
You can also stop off at a Travelodge or similar. We're off for a trip to Scotland later in the year and have booked the Travelodge at Dumfries for a stop off; I think it was only £29, cheaper than some camp sites. No problem parking the Cali outside; fridge on with cold beer/wine! :)

This site is run by the owners of the forum. It is made up of Cali owners renting their cali out when not in use (I am not on commission!)

https://www.hireavwcalifornia.co.uk/
Thanks, I had a look at that site and thought it a bit odd that people would rent out their camper vans - not sure I would want to rent mine ( as and when I get one ) though. Comforting the site is run by owners of this forum - adds an air of credibility IMHO :) I didn't see any local to me . Renting from Carlisle or Yorkshire would work though.

Thanks to all for helpful comments - its appreciated. But I must get some sleep - been researching Calis til the wee hours for the past three nights ! its so addictive!

You can also stop off at a Travelodge or similar. We're off for a trip to Scotland later in the year and have booked the Travelodge at Dumfries for a stop off; I think it was only £29, cheaper than some camp sites. No problem parking the Cali outside; fridge on with cold beer/wine! :)
what a great idea, never thought of that ! :thumb

what a great idea, never thought of that !
Just seen an ad for genuine 2011 Cali se £28995, that is pretty cheap.
found a 2008 for same price on Auto-trader - they do hold their values! amazing

Last edited:
We rented a Cali from Jolly Van Hire in Shrewsbury last September for about £100 per day, also hired a conversion from Bodens also in Shrewsbury. They both came with everything you need except bedding and towels and were immaculately clean and ready to go.

We rented a Cali from Jolly Van Hire in Shrewsbury last September for about £100 per day, also hired a conversion from Bodens also in Shrewsbury. They both came with everything you need except bedding and towels and were immaculately clean and ready to go.
Thanks Keith.
We have just booked a long weekend's campervan hire with jolly van hire. New T6 Cali I beleive it is.:bananadance

Have a great time, we took the Cali we hired over to Barmouth for a few days and had a good enough time to buy one!

Are you picking this up in Wrexham or Shrewsbury? If Shrewsbury I'm not sure if they have anywhere for you to leave your vehicle securely. If that's the case if you want to pm me you can park your car at our place.

Back