Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Introduction

alan middleton

alan middleton

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi All

We’ve just joined the forum, but have had our Cali for 2 and s bit years. It’s a daily driver for us, but we also enjoy reasonably frequent camping trips. Just back from Bude in Cornwall.

Ours is a white 2015 T5, 180ps DSG (usually off white on account of where we live ).

Currently scanning fora for the right mattress for downstairs. More confused now!

We sleep downstairs. Kids upstairs. Black lab on front passenger seat and rough collie in front footwell. So we need something more comfy to lie on.

Good evening and welcome :D

It's a question of one person's comfort is another's night of nightmares.

I have gone: VW comfort mattress, ok but needs the rear cargo shelf at lowest position which means less boot room.

Various thermarests which for me was no rest at all.

Airbeds, aerobed being the best fit, vulnerable to deflation at the wrong time and also quite cold in winter.

Comfortz topper, available from club shop. Comfortable enough for my old hips, rear shelf can be on upper height, too thin for some.

Currently sat in Alfie somewhere in Wales with a VW comfort mattress. Sleeping well enough but only have it in the van because my new van came with it and I've been too lazy to sap it over with anything else yet. Sort of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but come the end of this interminable rain and cold winds and I will want extra boot room for my outdoor cooking stuff.

Good evening and welcome :D

It's a question of one person's comfort is another's night of nightmares.

I have gone: VW comfort mattress, ok but needs the rear cargo shelf at lowest position which means less boot room.

Various thermarests which for me was no rest at all.

Airbeds, aerobed being the best fit, vulnerable to deflation at the wrong time and also quite cold in winter.

Comfortz topper, available from club shop. Comfortable enough for my old hips, rear shelf can be on upper height, too thin for some.

Currently sat in Alfie somewhere in Wales with a VW comfort mattress. Sleeping well enough but only have it in the van because my new van came with it and I've been too lazy to sap it over with anything else yet. Sort of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but come the end of this interminable rain and cold winds and I will want extra boot room for my outdoor cooking stuff.
Thanks Granny Jen. I read your posts on the other threads and loads were saying to avoid memory foam due to heat?? We sleep with just the seats folded and a fitted sheet over. The parcel shelf is on lowest with a factory standard mattress on that part. Seatbelts slide around sides, so not an issue, but it’s all just a little firm if you’re doing a week or more. I was hoping there would be an inexpensive 2cm foam topper that folds in 3....

Welcome alan!
We bought the one from calicap.de. (around CHF 240.-)
It fits our needs and is a good compromise of comfort and size to store.

Before we tried Therm A Rest or nothing, both weren‘t a solution.

Best ist to test (at a meeting/caravan show).

Cheers

Thanks Granny Jen. I read your posts on the other threads and loads were saying to avoid memory foam due to heat?? We sleep with just the seats folded and a fitted sheet over. The parcel shelf is on lowest with a factory standard mattress on that part. Seatbelts slide around sides, so not an issue, but it’s all just a little firm if you’re doing a week or more. I was hoping there would be an inexpensive 2cm foam topper that folds in 3....

I will shortly be road testing a Dunelm mattress topper.

I can't get hold of it at present as my sister is sleeping on it but once I'm away on my own then definitely going to give it a try.

Welcome to the forum. Wont help if you use the top bed but I take that mattress and put that on the lower bed with a zone sleep topper.

Currently scanning fora for the right mattress for downstairs. More confused now!
Welcome Alan. We used to use a 50mm mattress topper from one of the high street stores, cut to size. It was fine, in the morning we use to roll it up with the bedding into a Swiss roll secured with luggage straps; the whole thing squashed up quite small, and the luggage shelf could be in the upper position if you left the rear cushion at home.

Our new van came with the VW comfort mattress so the topper wouldn't fit any more. I preferred the topper solution.

Welcome alan!
We bought the one from calicap.de. (around CHF 240.-)
It fits our needs and is a good compromise of comfort and size to store.

Before we tried Therm A Rest or nothing, both weren‘t a solution.

Best ist to test (at a meeting/caravan show).

Cheers
Thanks. Just looked. Their’s is now €500! I’d rather drink more before bedtime

I will shortly be road testing a Dunelm mattress topper.

I can't get hold of it at present as my sister is sleeping on it but once I'm away on my own then definitely going to give it a try.
Let me know how the dunelm one is. I guess you need to cut it to fit the bottom

Welcome to the forum. Wont help if you use the top bed but I take that mattress and put that on the lower bed with a zone sleep topper.
Yes. That would leave the kids to sleep on bare metal. Tempting......

Welcome Alan. We used to use a 50mm mattress topper from one of the high street stores, cut to size. It was fine, in the morning we use to roll it up with the bedding into a Swiss roll secured with luggage straps; the whole thing squashed up quite small, and the luggage shelf could be in the upper position if you left the rear cushion at home.

Our new van came with the VW comfort mattress so the topper wouldn't fit any more. I preferred the topper solution.
Thanks Colin. This seems best option. I think I’ll be checking out some stores. Granny Jen road testing dunelm one.

Oh gosh! Just saw it now! I bought a black one.. however seems like they removed it from the shop...Sorry Alan!
For €500 it must have a massage function and make coffee....

Hi All

We’ve just joined the forum, but have had our Cali for 2 and s bit years. It’s a daily driver for us, but we also enjoy reasonably frequent camping trips. Just back from Bude in Cornwall.

Ours is a white 2015 T5, 180ps DSG (usually off white on account of where we live ).

We sleep downstairs. Kids upstairs. Black lab on front passenger seat and rough collie in front footwell. So we need something more comfy to lie on.

Hi Alan
I have a pretty cheap solution less than £40 that works great for us. Can be used in multiple places. I'd be happy to show you, since we are close by. Just need an email address from you and I will explain.

I have a 5cm 'egg box' memory foam topper which I cut to shape and then fitted into a duvalay fitted sheet that came with the van. Another duvalay sheet to sleep on under my lightweight goose down duvet. Fold the whole lot into three and roll back onto the parcel shelf for storage.

Hi Alan
I have a pretty cheap solution less than £40 that works great for us. Can be used in multiple places. I'd be happy to show you, since we are close by. Just need an email address from you and I will explain.
Thanks Teejay. Not sure how to message you with my email address

I have a 5cm 'egg box' memory foam topper which I cut to shape and then fitted into a duvalay fitted sheet that came with the van. Another duvalay sheet to sleep on under my lightweight goose down duvet. Fold the whole lot into three and roll back onto the parcel shelf for storage.
Thanks Gillian. Where did you buy yours from. Is it really as hot as others have reported?

I know a number of people with campervans that use a relatively cheap store memory foam topper. My van was bought used and came with, I think either a VW comfort mattress or a Comfortz topper - it's full of comfort but I doubt if I'd pay that sort of money if I didn't already have it.

Back