Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Introduction

S

SCO63

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,
We will shortly be taking early retirement and it is our intention to buy a camper, hopefully later this year. The Ocean is currently our preferred choice, although my better half wants a look at the Marco Polo (not sure if that is sacrilege or not on this site).
We have still to get out and about to look at them in detail but would appreciate any input re any pitfalls etc. Was going to buy private as with the balance of VW warranty on newer vans it would save on initial cost.

You can join both forums and get both sides of the argument. The biggest difference is the vans is the extra length of the MP. The Cali isn’t under 5m because VW are saving metal. It’s because it fits in normal parking spaces. Once you go above that, where do you stop?
Plenty of issues with both vans. There is a much bigger choice of 2nd hand but in warranty Cali’s vs MPs, because of their relative popularity and release date.

Thanks! The parking bit makes a lot of sense as it will be used as our main transport as well as being a camper. 1-0 to VW

Welcome allong!

Welcome, I also live in Scotland and, as you will see below, I have experience of both the MP and California and would be pleased to help if I can. If you are thinking of an MP I strongly suggest a decent test drive, dealerships for both marques can be short on specific camper expertise so I would recommend forum research on both MP and Cali forums.

Tom

Welcome, I also live in Scotland and, as you will see below, I have experience of both the MP and California and would be pleased to help if I can. If you are thinking of an MP I strongly suggest a decent test drive, dealerships for both marques can be short on specific camper expertise so I would recommend forum research on both MP and Cali forums.

Tom
Thanks for the input, I’ve tried to trawl through various forums and tbh the VW probably makes more sense and I think looks better from the outside although the MP looks very comfy particularly seating wise. Once we look in more detail I’ll possibly pick your brains some more.

Thanks for the input, I’ve tried to trawl through various forums and tbh the VW probably makes more sense and I think looks better from the outside although the MP looks very comfy particularly seating wise. Once we look in more detail I’ll possibly pick your brains some more.
You are welcome. In my opinion the MP does look better and has more room but it is let down by road noise engine noise and suspension clunks, and rust. I find the VW much nicer to live with but my MP was the earlier model and the new one may well have improved.
Tom

Welcome! Good points already said: Hire and try! I am sure both cars/vans are fantastic and in the end: campervans and great vehicles