Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter supplied socket not working

T

Thomash

Hi - the 240v socket in our Cali which supplied from the leisure batteries via the inverter has stopped working. Don't remember anything that may have caused it. No green light above the socket, no power, no nothing. Have checked the fuses under the passenger seat - all ok. Has anybody had a similar problem / ideas / thoughts on where to get it looked at other than a dealer ? Any advice much appreciated. Heath.

Assuming you have a SE or a Ocean (or a Coast) .....
You mean the two pin socket on the side of the kitchenunit ?
This only works if the hook-up lead is plugged in 220v mains , did you?
Or do you mean the two pin socket on the B-pilar on the leftside ?
What does appear on the controlpanel?

Back to you....

A 2012 SE. The two pin socket on the pillar. Nothing in the control panel.

Ok , the pilar socket (150w max) tought so as you mentiont the green light but wanted to be sure:D
Does the fride work ?
Have you tryed the other 12v sockets in the rear ?
Lights ....
Have you tryed it while on hook-up 220v mains
And with the engine running?
Witched the control panel OFF and or resetted it ?
2012 your inverter should still be underneeth the fridge , stick your head in the kitchenwardrobe underneet leftside check connections , there are reports the socket on some is faulty (lose)

Last edited:
A 2012 SE. The two pin socket on the pillar. Nothing in the control panel.
Ok , the pilar socket (150v max) tought so as you mentiont the green light but wanted to be sure:D
Does the fride work ?
Have you tryed the other 12v sockets in the rear ?
Lights ....
Have you tryed it while on hook-up 220v mains
And with the engine running?
Witched the control panel OFF and or resetted it ?
2012 your inverter should still be underneeth the fridge , stick your head in the kitchenwardrobe underneet leftside check connections , there are reports the socket on some is faulty (lose)
I think there has been something lost in translation.

The Mains Charger , which @hotel california refers to as the Inverter, has nothing to do with the 150watt 12/240v Inverter fitted to the base of the B Pillar behind the passenger seat. This is a self contained unit fitted in the B Pillar.

The Fuse, according to my information, is a 30 amp fuse under the Passenger seat.

The Unit has a micro switch which is activated by inserting the correctly sized/shaped plug and this then switches the power on.

If has to be removed then you have to remove the Lower B pillar trim.

http://www.vwt5forum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=826511

If he says the fuses are ok , i was just giving him some things to check ...
the inverter does change 12v in to 220v for that socket ?
Did type 150v instead 150w ...corrected it:confused:

If he says the fuses are ok , i was just giving him some things to check ...
the inverter does change 12v in to 220v for that socket ?
Did type 150v instead 150w ...corrected it:confused:
Unfortunately what you referred to as the Inverter, below the fridge, is the Mains Charger, not an Inverter. Different things.

IMG_0359.PNG

Thanks very much both. I've tried a couple of different hex shaped plugs in the socket and neither activates it. Also had a look at that 30 amp fuse which is irritatingly intact - would have been nice ...... Looks like I am going to need to access the pillar.

Have you tried a check with a multimeter set at 220v AC if you have 220v on your meter then order from the site shop a plug kit , plugs into that socket and has a 13amp british regular socket but only rated at 1500 watts also has a twin USB socket all comes in a little case and not very expensive , mind you would only be useful for lap top or TV

Have you tried a check with a multimeter set at 220v AC if you have 220v on your meter then order from the site shop a plug kit , plugs into that socket and has a 13amp british regular socket but only rated at 1500 watts also has a twin USB socket all comes in a little case and not very expensive , mind you would only be useful for lap top or TV
Remember, the Inverter Socket is only rated at 150 watts.

Thanks very much both. I've tried a couple of different hex shaped plugs in the socket and neither activates it. Also had a look at that 30 amp fuse which is irritatingly intact - would have been nice ...... Looks like I am going to need to access the pillar.
Have a look for the Microswitch and depress it, difficult to find I know, but just in case your plug is not activating it.

Cheers John - can't find the plug kit in the site shop, I guess it doesn't include the inverter, just a replacement socket ? New inverter only available from VW do you know ? WelshGas thank you again, been thinking that the microswitch will be worth a check once I get the unit out. Our van is due back from having the roof warranty repair work completed next week so hope to get to it then.

Hi Thomash
call the guy at the shop they have two web sites and he will have what you want explain you want the power socket and usb adaptor comes with 2 outlets means when you are plugged in to mains you can run your 12v tv from it save battery

Hi,

Can anybody advise pls (2012 Cali),after several years of working fine, found no green light on the inverter plug, so replaced the 30amp fuse. The old fuse didn’t appear damaged as far as I could see. Now I have a light ! Unfortuntely it is red light and the plug still isn’t working... any ideas ?

Thanks

Hi,

Can anybody advise pls (2012 T5 Cali),after several years of working fine, found no green light on the inverter plug, so replaced the 30amp fuse. The old fuse didn’t appear damaged as far as I could see. Now I have a light ! Unfortuntely it is red light and the plug still isn’t working... any ideas ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Can anybody advise pls (2012 T5 Cali),after several years of working fine, found no green light on the inverter plug, so replaced the 30amp fuse. The old fuse didn’t appear damaged as far as I could see. Now I have a light ! Unfortuntely it is red light and the plug still isn’t working... any ideas ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you ever get a solution to this. I have the same problem.
Thanks